General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

The Man

Darth Vile said:
I certainly remember it being more evident in the cinema. So do we think that is just the nature of seeing it on the big screen i.e. some of the lighting seems more subtle on the small screen, or do we think that perhaps a pre DVD release colour correction took place?

How does the cemetery scene translate on Blu-Ray, Darth? I remember quite liking its tone in the cinema...

deckard24

Darth Vile said:
I certainly remember it being more evident in the cinema. So do we think that is just the nature of seeing it on the big screen i.e. some of the lighting seems more subtle on the small screen, or do we think that perhaps a pre DVD release colour correction took place?
I've only seen the standard DVD release not the Blu-Ray(except at Best Buy and Blockbuster), but while I think there is some color correction, for the most part it looks the same. It was definitely more evident in the theater, but scenes like I mentioned earlier(Indy and Mac's intro, the classroom, the ant fight, etc.) were just as hazy and washed out on the smaller screen.

This is a really nice article on Slocombe and his style, and when looking at some of the specific stills shown, you can see Kaminski did fairly well at capturing the look of the original series. If he could just bump up the warmth of some of his shots, and get rid of that really cool metallic look, it would probably make a world of difference.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/20/a-look-back-the-iconic-cinematography-of-douglas-slocombe/

Johnny Nys

Interesting. I never really stopped to notice stuff like that, colour saturation and the like. Usually I'm much too involved in what's being displayed than in how it's being displayed.

Darth Vile

The Man said:
How does the cemetery scene translate on Blu-Ray, Darth? I remember quite liking its tone in the cinema...

That scene is extremely good on Blu-Ray. As you can imagine, the tonal contrasts between the blacks/darks and colours are apparent and vivid and the dark tone doesn?t detract from the detail (which is always sharp/crisp). Ultimately, on a lighting/colours level? it looks like the scene could have been from Raiders, TOD or TLC. The HD sound is fantastic too (thunder claps, rustling leaves and other ambient sounds etc.)

deckard24 said:
I've only seen the standard DVD release not the Blu-Ray(except at Best Buy and Blockbuster), but while I think there is some color correction, for the most part it looks the same. It was definitely more evident in the theater, but scenes like I mentioned earlier (Indy and Mac's intro, the classroom, the ant fight, etc.) were just as hazy and washed out on the smaller screen.

On my set up at home (which is pretty high spec.) the colours/lighting is pretty fantastic. I?m not an expert on this particular subject, so I couldn?t tell you the science of the ligting/colour correction in any given shot or scene, but for the most part it looks sumptuous and harkens back to those technicolor movies of the 40?s/50?s (certainly consistent enough with the original 3). There are a couple of shots that still seem somewhat over exposed/washed out? most notably the first shots of Dovchenko at the base, and elements of the jungle chase/ants. As these shots are location/backlot, I'm not sure if the result is a consequence of strong natural light on the day they were shooting???

sandiegojones

Indy's Fist said:
Frank Marshall has confirmed that Indy V is in research mode! Shia was right & I believed him!(y)
Don't forget that Harrison said only a few months ago that Lucas came up with an idea and it was "Crazy, but great!" Lucas, Ford, Marshall and LeBeouf have all confirmed they are working on or know of a plot. Spielberg is the only one not to say anything, but Shia's comments indicate the spoke to Steven about it. Let's hope they can get a script ready by early next year for pre-production to begin.

Indy's Fist

sandiegojones said:
Don't forget that Harrison said only a few months ago that Lucas came up with an idea and it was "Crazy, but great!" Lucas, Ford, Marshall and LeBeouf have all confirmed they are working on or know of a plot. Spielberg is the only one not to say anything, but Shia's comments indicate the spoke to Steven about it. Let's hope they can get a script ready by early next year for pre-production to begin.

Yeah, hell they took too long to make KOTCS. If they would have made an Indy in 1999 instead of a SW prequel then maybe we would have had a second Indy trilogy by now!
Harrison is not getting younger and who knows how well an new Indy movies might do finacially. KOTCS seems to have done well because of the time gap. A new movie, if not well made might very well tank.

Johnny Nys

I always assumed Ford's "Crazy but great" comment was about the initial idea of doing another movie, not about a concrete story for it.

That comment actually WAS referred to the idea of Lucas still working on another movie. To quote the original interview, Harrison said: "It's crazy but great, George is in think mode right now."

sandiegojones

Johnny Nys said:
I always assumed Ford's "Crazy but great" comment was about the initial idea of doing another movie, not about a concrete story for it.
"Crazy but great" meant that there is a plot in mind.

DocWhiskey

Yeah seriously. They cut you down if you're out of shape. They cut you down if you're in shape. Ford looks great, man. He could handle another Indy adventure.

HJJNR

lao che & sons said:
Oh PLEASE! :rolleyes: is this even worth a story. Leave the guy ALONE!:eek:
The press will report about anything:rolleyes:

I spotted this whilst reading about MJ death and I completely forgot about it and started reading about Harrison instead... I thought it would raise a bit of debate so I posted it.
to be TOTALLY honest there is a slight moobish look to his chest but JEBUS THRIST I HOPE TO GOD that I can have moobs like that at 60 odd.
Like I said, a couple of weeks in the gym will have all in perfect "Indy" shape.

And your right, yes they will report anything... VULTURES!!

HJJNR

I'd like to add to this debate...

... I revisited that site and the images of Mr. Ford and the more I look at these pics the more I realise that he is is AWESOME shape, the first image;
article-1195441-0578631B000005DC-689_468x511.jpg

Is the worst of the two but look closely at the left side, that crease in the shirt gives the illusion of saggy knockers but one thing I have noticed about Harrison's build is that he is very "long chested" I dont know how to best explain what I mean from collar to bottom of his chest is long, he has a similar body frame to the late Christopher Reeve who (in his prime) was long chested... I'm sure there is a technical term for it but hey.

In this pic;
article-1195441-05786327000005DC-440_468x566.jpg

you can almost see abs definition too, me thinks this man be in training for Indy, notice his hair is cut to Indy style, he normally wears it longer these days doesn't he...