General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

bennihana123

The effect was decent, but I think they would have to step it up a notch for a whole film or even the opening sequence.

The opening of Indy 5 could be a flashback to his younger days where he encounters something related to the MacGuffin.

ChromiumBlue37

I love that idea and I agree. The Last Crusade had the right idea using River Phoenex as young Indy and tying into an event with 1938 Indy trying to recover the Cross of Coranado.

TheLastCrusader

I wouldn't mind if they used the technology to make Ford look younger if it was just for the opening sequence, which could be set in the '40s then.

HJJNR

We are all on the same wavelength its scary.

I have just witnessed something bizarre here. A handful of people have agreed on something in a forum lol.

Opening sequence being a flashback to introduce the audience to the mcguffin is an awesome idea. Perhaps we see how Indy and Mac first meet and they are held up in a bunker as we discover that Hitler has his hands on (shrugs) erm mcguffin and then we see that Indy and co are in Hitlers secret bunker and are surrounded by Nazis. Cue up a great escape sequence...

Indy is in a cave in 1959, reading the wall markings and making notes in his little book. He is shortly joined by Mutt now wearing very similar outfit to his father except for his trademark quiff hair, jeans and a sword at his side.
Don't touch anything!!:whip:

deckard24

bennihana123 said:
The effect was decent, but I think they would have to step it up a notch for a whole film or even the opening sequence.

The opening of Indy 5 could be a flashback to his younger days where he encounters something related to the MacGuffin.
I like that idea!

I agree though that the technology would have to be significantly improved, because right now they wouldn't be able to have any long shots on Ford's face using similar FX as X-Men 3. At first it was cool, but the longer you looked at the screen the fakeness of it was clear.

Personally I always wanted to see more suave Indy in a tux, mixing it up in a nightclub. However this would require him to be without his fedora, something which I think would only aid the CGI age regression. With his hat on I think it could be pulled off in a more convincing way, but without, not so much!

EddyW

HJJNR said:
I have just witnessed something bizarre here. A handful of people have agreed on something in a forum lol.

Opening sequence being a flashback to introduce the audience to the mcguffin is an awesome idea. Perhaps we see how Indy and Mac first meet and they are held up in a bunker as we discover that Hitler has his hands on (shrugs) erm mcguffin and then we see that Indy and co are in Hitlers secret bunker and are surrounded by Nazis. Cue up a great escape sequence...

Indy is in a cave in 1959, reading the wall markings and making notes in his little book. He is shortly joined by Mutt now wearing very similar outfit to his father except for his trademark quiff hair, jeans and a sword at his side.
Don't touch anything!!:whip:

Let's roll I say!

deckard24 said:
I like that idea!

I agree though that the technology would have to be significantly improved, because right now they wouldn't be able to have any long shots on Ford's face using similar FX as X-Men 3. At first it was cool, but the longer you looked at the screen the fakeness of it was clear.

Bennihana123, I totally agree with you, it should be set in the 40's that would be awesome!!! But I have to agree with Deckard24. The CGI just wouldn't fit. It would look to weird in an Indy film and fans would rip it apart.

What they need to do if they plan on making the intro in the 40's is to just die Harrisons hair and make it seem it is graying a bit. (maybe have him with a beard too (y))

Harrison still has a young face...he still could pull off the look for Indy in the 40's. Infact, I'm convinced if they wanted too, all they would have to do is die Harrisons hair and we could have a few Indy movies set in the 1940's :whip:

Darth Vile

deckard24 said:
I like that idea!

Personally I always wanted to see more suave Indy in a tux, mixing it up in a nightclub. However this would require him to be without his fedora, something which I think would only aid the CGI age regression. With his hat on I think it could be pulled off in a more convincing way, but without, not so much!

Probably the best example to cite is Brad Pitt's (or Cate B's) youthful appearance in 'Benjamin Button'. It was pretty seamless. The technology is now good enough that it's bordering on the frightening. It's just really a money, time and inclination thing.

I wouldn't have been an advocate of it 12 months ago... but like everyone else, I now think a prologue with a digitized Harrison might be quite good. The only thing I would guard against is that it may be so good, returning to the older Harrison after the prologue may feel like a bit of a downer i.e. we'd want the younger Indy back.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Alternatively, if they really noir up the opening sequence (I'm thinking Indy and Mac in some post-war bombed out European city, a la <I>The Third Man</I> - a very suitable film for the two of them, really) they could do it all with shadows and camera angles and costuming, and avoid the CGI all together.

TheLastCrusader

Attila the Professor said:
Alternatively, if they really noir up the opening sequence (I'm thinking Indy and Mac in some post-war bombed out European city, a la <I>The Third Man</I> - a very suitable film for the two of them, really) they could do it all with shadows and camera angles and costuming, and avoid the CGI all together.
That's stylistically too much deviation from the genre. I still want my Indiana Jones movie to be a pulp adventure film. The Third Man is not pulp.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
TheLastCrusader said:
That's stylistically too much deviation from the genre. I still want my Indiana Jones movie to be a pulp adventure film. The Third Man is not pulp.

I suppose Indy Noir (a darker vision for Indy IV that some of us used to articulate) was before your time here...

But at any rate, spies are pretty darned pulpy, and if you're going to do post-war intrigue, Carol Reed-style shots are pretty natural, and the sort of thing that would probably attract Spielberg's attention anyhow. (Think the Lean homages in the India trek, or portions of Raiders, or the John Ford-style vistas in the opening of Last Crusade, or the Busby Berkeley number in Shanghai. The films are exercises in homage - that's most of the fun for Spielberg and Lucas, I think. So I wouldn't put it past them. If pulp was globetrotters and mobsters in the 30s, and aliens, Commies, and the bomb in the 50s, then the 40s was the war and the coming cold war and shadowy agents hiding in every doorway. Street lamps shining on wet streets amidst the rubble of a bombed-out city...it's a natural, especially for a series that spent so much time dealing with the Nazis when they were looking for artifacts: then there's the aftermath.

deckard24

I'd love to see a noir style look for Indy V, and that's true with shadows, makeup, and proper lighting, they could make Ford look 10 years younger. Apparently during the early days of filming the makeup dept. was told to pull back a bit on de-aging Ford, because they did such a good job he looked too young for a 58 year old.

Some of my favorite scenes of the series are the more noir styled shots, specifically Indy and Sallah's visit to the old mystic in Raiders, and the scene in TOD when Indy is nearly strangled by the Thuggee in his palace room. If they could bring back more scenes like this in Indy V, I'd be a happy camper!

AlivePoet

deckard24 said:
Some of my favorite scenes of the series are the more noir styled shots, specifically Indy and Sallah's visit to the old mystic in Raiders, and the scene in TOD when Indy is nearly strangled by the Thuggee in his palace room. If they could bring back more scenes like this in Indy V, I'd be a happy camper!

I agree that they need to focus on raising the stakes and heightening the tension level of this film... KotCS may have had enough to scare a toddler, but that's thanks to the massive, ugly skull shots.

Edit: "Mutt! Disengage!"
That line, I think, in context, perfectly captures how well Skull dealt with tension and suspense.

Darth Vile

I suppose Indy Noir (a darker vision for Indy IV that some of us used to articulate) was before your time here...

But at any rate, spies are pretty darned pulpy, and if you're going to do post-war intrigue, Carol Reed-style shots are pretty natural, and the sort of thing that would probably attract Spielberg's attention anyhow. (Think the Lean homages in the India trek, or portions of Raiders, or the John Ford-style vistas in the opening of Last Crusade, or the Busby Berkeley number in Shanghai. The films are exercises in homage - that's most of the fun for Spielberg and Lucas, I think. So I wouldn't put it past them. If pulp was globetrotters and mobsters in the 30s, and aliens, Commies, and the bomb in the 50s, then the 40s was the war and the coming cold war and shadowy agents hiding in every doorway. Street lamps shining on wet streets amidst the rubble of a bombed-out city...it's a natural, especially for a series that spent so much time dealing with the Nazis when they were looking for artifacts: then there's the aftermath.

I'd go along with that... although, as we?ve mentioned before, I think Spielberg would probably be more inclined to "homage" the early Hitchcock movies e.g. 'The 39 Steps', 'Foreign Correspondent', ?Sabotage? etc. (which I can definitely imagine looking very "Indy").

HJJNR

Flash back idea

Let me see if I can't make an image that shows what we're all talking about... I'll knock years off and put the two characters in a new environment. Give me a few minutes.

HJJNR

This is a quick one.

It's just gone 2am so I aint spending all night on it so here's a quick 10 minute job. I was thinking if mid 40's he would look a somewhere between LC and KOTCS in age. I slimmed Mack out a bit too, darkened his hair and other stuff.

039_Inside_Bunker.jpg

Compared to KOTCS

991130-photo-1942.jpg

James

I just can't see Ford going along with any attempts to digitally turn back the clock. After all, he could've easily played the character more than a few years younger, but instead made a point of acknowledging the full 19 years.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
James said:
I just can't see Ford going along with any attempts to digitally turn back the clock. After all, he could've easily played the character more than a few years younger, but instead made a point of acknowledging the full 19 years.

Agreed...make-up (if he's a bit bloodied or in disguise, so much the better), lighting, careful framing...those are the key.