Tomb Raider on-screen adaptations

Attila the Professor

Staff member
They thought they could make a pretty penny with it...simple as that, I'm sure...

There's something I wonder sometimes...do the director's of such films really think that they are achieving something?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Would anyone be interested in reading a review of TR:2 written by me? Otherwise, I don't think I'll see it.:)

Venture

Attila the Professor said:
They thought they could make a pretty penny with it...simple as that, I'm sure...

There's something I wonder sometimes...do the director's of such films really think that they are achieving something?

Alas, my friend, storytelling has, in many cases, taken a backseat to flash in this day and age. Why, when I was a lad...well, ROTLA came out!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Aaron H said:
Would anyone be interested in reading a review of TR:2 written by me? Otherwise, I don't think I'll see it.:)

I'd be glad to read any reviews you write, my friend...except for this one. :p

But seriously, if you haven't seen it, I wouldn't bother.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Aaron H said:

Well I saw it...much to my chargin...and lets just say, it could have been worse. (the word Gigli comes to mind:p)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Aaron H said:
Aaron H said:

Well I saw it...much to my chargin...and lets just say, it could have been worse. (the word Gigli comes to mind:p)

Hehe...I read about that...it does sound terrible.

swords

A star vehicle, Gigly, or is it Gigli?...

Yes! post a review. The influences section of the Raven needs more articles so I wouldn't mind a Tomb Raider 2 review. Well, since the first one is there, might as well put its sequel...

[Edited by swords on 08-05-2003 at 12:40 am]

Finn

Staff member
Aaron H said:
Hey!

Note: This board is intended for talk about famous, classic and good movies! :p

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Maybe seven years from now, somebody will make a list of classic film flops of the past decade...and so then, we can discuss Tomb Raider 2 and Gigli. ;)

PhantomStranger

Printed from
The Times of India -Breaking news, views. reviews, cricket from across India
Jolie might be back as Lara Croft
13 May, 2007 l 0234 hrs ISTlANI

SMS NEWS to 8888 for latest updates
Angelina Jolie could be returning as the gun-toting Lara Croft once again, but only if the latest video game is a hit. Jolie starred as the aristocratic yet no-nonsense archaeologist in two movies based on the hit British games series, in 2001 and 2003.

The two movies combined raked in 200 million dollars at the box office. And, with the 10th anniversary of the video games just around the corner, creator Ian Livingstone reveals that a third movie just might be in the making. "At the moment, it?s still not green-lit, but the signs are there," a newspaper quoted Ian, as saying.

"The film company has talked about the film for a long time, and I?ve had meetings with them. They?re willing to put a scriptwriter on board. Angelina Jolie has an option to do the third movie. I think when they see how successful Anniversary will be and realise that the world is still in love with Lara, they?ll be more inclined to exercise their option," he added. The 10th anniversary will be celebrated with the launch of the new PS2 game.
:D

misnomer

I hope not. The tomb raider movies were terrible...if you're going to adapt a video game it helps if your movie isn't actually dumber than the game it's based on.

Plus Jolie is mis-cast in the role. The whole point of Croft is that she's sexy because she doesn't know it. Jolie played Croft as an adrenalin-junkie/gun-toting whore.

They should reboot this franchise and play it straighter and with more class.

"she's sexy because she doesn't know it"
So, you've never played the games? Lara knows she's sexy and often uses it to her own advantage.

"Angelina Jolie has an option to do the third movie"
*fingers crossed*

deckard24

Angelina Jolie imo was the perfect choice for Lara Croft! I'm not a big video game fan, but from what I've seen as far as game pics and articles about it she looked to fit the overall look to a tee. I honestly can't think of another actress that could pull off the role like Jolie, sexy and a badass. Yeah, the movies weren't great, but they're fun with some great scenery and good action. It's like The Mummy, another movie not fantastic but entertaining. I'd like to see a Tomb Raider 3, and I'm really hoping Jolie goes through with Sin City 2. With the release of IJ4, I'll bet there will be a whole slew of archaeology/adventure related movies released to jump on the bandwagon.

berelain19

Misnomer,women know damn well when they're looking sexy,I know,because I'm a woman,and I know we are teases.And so is Lara Croft.

I think Angelina's okay for the part,but they sure have to get a good story and a good script,because that's what these movies lack!
Also,the über-coolness of Lara is a major no-no;I hated that scene where she punches the shark,soooo stupid!

About ''the mummy'';that movie was crap and Tomb Raider is indeed a little better than that one.