Tomb Raider on-screen adaptations

Vendetta08

The Mummy was ok. Mummy Returns trash, the CG was so utterly horrible. The Rock with 10 crawler legs and claws was laughable.

As for Tomb Raider 3, Oh God No. Please say it isn't true...

Tomb Raider 3?

Yes, I know... the first two movies weren't exactly masterpieces... they were poorly received by the critics and they didn't satisfy the hardcore fans of the franchise, although they were reasonable box office hits.
I think that was mainly due to the total failure of THE FIRST ONE, the one which have been hyped the most and indeed the worst of the two.

"Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" had a really weak screenplay. The characterization of the main protagonist was totally crap, the story was quite good but it was developed in a wrong way (the artifact wasn't interesting at all... and the logical connection between the events wasn't always clear).
Even if I think acting was good (Angelina Jolie, Daniel Craig, Chris Barrie, Noah Taylor, John Voight and Iain Glen... all great performances...) and so was the directing (the camera work on the sets emphasized A LOT the amazing locations in which the movie was shot), the lack of a good story and the wrong characterization of Lara Croft (who seemed to be a robot without emotions and incapable of any kind of mercy) doomed the movie to flop.

"The Cradle of Life", instead, was a quite good adventure film in my opinion. It was entertaining and spectacular, even if it had a couple of awful scenes (some were definitely TOO unbelievable).

But now the point is: this year the theaters will see the come-back of "Indiana Jones" and the return of "The Mummy" franchise. I'm sure those movies will have GREAT success, no doubts about it. "National Treasure 2" also was a box office hit, meaning the action/adventure films are still alive and appealing to the audience.
Well, what if after "Indy IV" Paramount decided to produce a third sequel to the "Tomb Raider" saga? Would you give it a chance?
I personally think the franchise has A LOT of unexpressed potential, and I would REALLY like to see a well-made "Tomb Raider 3" (obviously with Angelina Jolie, Chris Barrie and Noah Taylor still on board :gun: :whip::cool: ).

Any thoughts?

Bjorn Heimdall

Sure. Angelina once said she only still takes jobs because she wants to raise money to donate somewhere, which can only be a good thing. So bring it.

DoomsdayFAN

No way! They sucked. I hate Angelina Jolee. I hate Tomb Raider because its so blaitenly a rip off of Indiana Jones. So I hope they toss that series.

Michael24

I just want to see a good Lara Croft movie, which would mean dumping Angelina Jolie (woefully bad actress, terrible choice for the role) and hiring a competent writer and director. I love the games, but the movies were just awful messes.

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
And to think this is from Mr. Girl Power himself... :rolleyes:

I cry foul on this one. No targeted sniping on this forum (especially when I'm tossing soft balls) for the next couple of months. You are either in or out.

. . .and as for the Jolie issue -- I'm willing to take that issue on directly. I'll bore everyone to tears of course . . . .

Katarn07

Michael24 said:
I just want to see a good Lara Croft movie, which would mean dumping Angelina Jolie (woefully bad actress, terrible choice for the role) and hiring a competent writer and director. I love the games, but the movies were just awful messes.

Agreed. Let's wait 5-10 years and reboot the franchise.

I hate Tomb Raider because its so blaitenly a rip off of Indiana Jones. So I hope they toss that series.

And that's exactly the reason I'd like to see another one done right. Indiana Jones is a blatant ripoff of those old-time adventure serials and movies. So with your logic, you should hate him and the movies he's been in.

oki9Sedo

Katarn07 said:
Indiana Jones is a blatant ripoff of those old-time adventure serials and movies.

Its not a rip-off, its a homage paying tribute to those serials. Its done with modern effects and film techniques, has MORE than enough great ideas and unique iconic moments of its own to not be a rip-off, while maintaining the spirit of those serials.

Tomb Raider is just Indiana Jones with a super-rich, sexy female in the lead.

Michael24

As much as I love Indiana Jones, I'd hardly called Tomb Raider a "rip-off." It's just as much an homage to Indy as Indy is an homage to the adventure serials of yesteryears.

Katarn07 said:
Agreed. Let's wait 5-10 years and reboot the franchise.

That's a good idea. I always thought the perfect Lara Croft would have been Elizabeth Hurley. She's stunningly-sexy but can play the tough chick nicely, plus she has a real accent. Though I figured the producers would consider her "too old" to play the character, even though I think she's a far better choice than Angelina, who can't hold a candle to Elizabeth when it comes to sexiness. :whip:

oki9Sedo

Michael24 said:
As much as I love Indiana Jones, I'd hardly called Tomb Raider a "rip-off." It's just as much an homage to Indy as Indy is an homage to the adventure serials of yesteryears.

It doesn't have half as many unique features as Indiana Jones though, that separates it from the original.

Michael24 said:
I always thought the perfect Lara Croft would have been Elizabeth Hurley. She's stunningly-sexy but can play the tough chick nicely, plus she has a real accent.

I dunno.....she doesn't look like she'd have that balance of being the rich, posh upper class billionaire and tough chick who can brawl as well as the rest of 'em.

Michael24

oki9Sedo said:
It doesn't have half as many unique features as Indiana Jones though, that separates it from the original.

Well, when it comes to these kind of adventure films, the Indy movies obviously set the bar pretty high. Little can be done to surpass them, but at the same time, that doesn't mean that something in the same kind of spirit can't still be just plain enjoyable, even if they aren't as "unique" as the Indy films.

oki9Sedo said:
I dunno.....she doesn't look like she'd have that balance of being the rich, posh upper class billionaire and tough chick who can brawl as well as the rest of 'em.

I think she could have easily pulled it off. I think she's got a better combination of upper-class billionaire and tough chick than Angelina Jolie has.

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
I cry foul on this one. No targeted sniping on this forum (especially when I'm tossing soft balls) for the next couple of months. You are either in or out.

. . .and as for the Jolie issue -- I'm willing to take that issue on directly. I'll bore everyone to tears of course . . . .

But sniping is the only reason I'm here. :gun:

I'm not saying that she can't act. I'm just saying that her rep as more than a boy toy is shaky. And your rep as the advocate for better female characters in film also seems to be in peril... ;)