Skull plot - order of events now we've seen the trailer

NamedAfterDaDog

Please help on the Indy and the KotCS Plotline

1. First off, with new pics and new info being revealed by the day, I, and I'm sure not only I, get confused about what's gonna happen in Crystal Skull.
2. Mods, please do not lock this.
3. I know this might've been posted about a thousand times before, but this is my interperatation of the new film and I would like comments, criticism and praise, please.

Stage One
The film opens at Yale (New Haven filming) where Indy is a professor. While teaching, another Yale professor (Jim Broadbent) comes in in a way that was much like Marcus in the first film and the third film. The other professor tells Indy that he has a visitor. Indy excuses himself, goes outside (while passing the Marcus Brody portrait) and sees his visitor, his son Mutt (Shia LeBough), whom he hasn't spoken to since birth (Spielberg trademark: bad father). Mutt tells that his mother, and Indy's one-time girlfriend/wife Marion (Karen Allen) has been kidnapped by Soviet agents. Speak of the devil, Soviets who have been tracking Mutt enter the campus, and Indy, not wanting to endanger any students, jumps on Mutt's bike with Mutt and a wild chase ensues.
After retreating to safety, Mutt then goes on to say that the Soviets are now trying to kidnap Jones himself, and Mutt actually came to Yale to warn him.
Eventually (I'm still working on this part), a Soviet Agent, either Irene Spalko or that one dude who's name starts with a D, like Dovincho or something, contacts Jones and tells him about their plot to get a hold of the Ark of the Covenant. They've heard of the Nazi incident of 1936, and they want a try at it now. With the Ark, the Soviets, one of the two superpowers on Earth, could enslave the Earth. If Jones refuses to help "kidnap" the Ark, Marion dies.
Eventually Jones agrees to help snatch the Ark, and the Soviets tell him they already have another man that could be of some help, but the man requires Jones's help as well. This man must participate, as Marion is his daughter. This man is none other than the believed-to-be-dead Abner Ravenwood (John Hurt).

Stage Two
The Ark is stored in Area 51, the government warehouse seen in the end of Raiders. Jones and Mutt, who wants to tag along, travel to Area 51 (Morocco filming). There, the Soviets, pretending to be American soldiers (this is iffy, as some people say that the Soviets have American uniforms on in the pics, so I'm going with them), get Jones inside. Just arriving, there is an ambush by American soldiers (I'm still working on this as well, so sorry if it is a bit farfetched), and somehow the Ark is destroyed.
*Now is where it goes a bit on ideas, not facts already disclosed*
The Soviets escape, with Indy and Mutt prisoner (they held Marion and Abner separately), and they threaten to kill all four when Indy reluctantly tell them of another such power. He remembered this idea when he saw alien projects at Area 51.
Jones tells the Soviets of a myth, a myth that is passed down from government officials to crazy hermits in the desert. This myth explains that in the deep jungles of South America, there is a temple where the ancient Mayans (or Incans or Aztecs, whichever) first discovered a U.F.O. This U.F.O. crashed down, and the aliens inside were worshipped by the Mayans. The aliens were hostel, and a large battle ensued. The aliens all but wiped the Mayans from the Earth, when the Mayans performed a sacrifice to their gods. Whether it the will of the "gods" or a scientific anatomy collapse, the aliens fail to extinguish the Mayans, but they themselves perish. The Mayans kept their bodies, eventually only their skulls and skeletons and corpses, and guarded them in the ancient legendary temples in the Peruvian jungle. The crystal skulls of the aliens were then found to contain a power greater than any of that on earth, and the Mayans used this to destroy many an Aztec or Incan army. The Mayans then ruled what was then called the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls.
Eventually, the Mayans wiped themselves out in thier powerhungry state, and the skulls remained in the temples, forever lost.

Stage Three
The Soviets are intrigued, and they travel down to Peru (Hawaii filming) to find these mythical temples. This proves a problem, as neither Indy, Mutt, either Ravenwood or the Soviets know where the temples are. Luckily, Indy knows one man who happens to be a Crystal Skull historian, who is obsessed with the myth and the temples, and spends most of his time in the Peruvian jungles to find them. This man is a competitor/friend to Indy, and his name is Mac _________ (Ray Winstone).
The Soviets contact him, and eventually they are all now brought into the fray. Mac, with the help of Indy and Abner, find the temples. Mac is hysterical, and will do anything to get inside. Indy, however, just wants to get Mutt, Marion and Abney and himself out of here. The Soviets, using technologcally advanced vehicles (Jungle Cutter, etc.) to get a clearer approach to the temples, find that Indy and crew escape. Mac, however, has stayed, and tells the Soviets where they went. This results in a wild jungle/river chase (see Lego sets, Empire Magazine photos), where Indiana Jones actually uses a bazooka to blow up gaining vehicles. Eventually, the Soviets capture them, and force them in the temple. The four (Indy, Marion, Abner, and Mutt) are sore at Mac, who unwittingly betrayed them. All five venture in the temple, and find the crystal skulls.
The Soviets and Irene Spalko, much like Elsa in The Last Crusade, are power crazy, and seize the skulls in a foolish and naive way. Tribes from the jungles, such as ancient Mayan tribes, come and battle against the Soviets. The Skulls' power is revealed: it gives so much power and then snatches it away. The Soviets are destroying the Mayans who live in the jungle, when the "graveyard warriors" come up and destroy the Soviets, or the Mayans do, or something to that sort (I'm not exactly sure how the ending all adds up).
In the middle of the fray, Abner is killed. Marion and Indy, deeply saddened, somehow escape.
And somehow, with other plot details, they escape.

The End.

Now, I know that was only okay, that's just how I kinda see the movie going. So please give me your thoughts, they will be greatly appriceated.

Peace.

Mutt Williams

Why would you want to do this? It will ruin the movie for you.

I think it's still fine to read some spoilers here and there (that's why we're in the spoilers section), but trying to predict the whole plot will get you out of the movie when you finally see it on May 22, if you know what I mean. Your mind will be drifting away, thinking if you "got that right", "that is dead on", or "told you so" and stuff.

spiralout

I still think the New Mexico scenes come first. It wouldn't match up with the other films to put the school scenes first. I think we're introduced to the villain from the start, like how we were introduced to Belloq.

I think the car chase at Marshall College involves Federal Agents who noticed that Indy was messing around with the Soviets and think he's a Communist, that's why the protestors were running after the motorcycle.

Deckard

Sort of ruins it I agree but still people will do it.

I think its going to open w/ the Russians hitting area 51 to steal the ark like the Fort Knox raid in Goldfinger. Then they head to South America and they race the russians thru the jungles to the temple. Indy gets there first recruits the natives and they try to defend the city / temple from the russians. They fail the russians arrive and kill everyone and force Indy to make the skulls work. Indy screws them and all the russians die then the skulls bring all the dead natives who fought the russians back to life. (Think the Indiana Jones and the Monkey King Script)

NileQT87

opener - area 51 / ark / introduction to spalko
school - school / meet mutt / motorcycle chase
main story - stop in mexico (meeting mac?) / peruvian jungle / temple / skull

that's my theory.

Professor Jones

Mutt Williams said:
Why would you want to do this? It will ruin the movie for you. [......] Your mind will be drifting away, thinking if you "got that right", "that is dead on", or "told you so" and stuff.

Mutt, neither I do agree in trying to discovery the plot with anticipation, but I cannot agree with you with what you're saying... movies are a fun experience and anyone should live them as he prefere... Maybe, even if he guess the whole plot, NamedAfterDaDog won't be thinking "I told you" and so on... maybe he will enjoy the movie just the same as you and me... you cannot know that. Or maybe there could be people that will enjoy the movie even more if they can say "I told you!".

I'm not saying what is the correct way, even if I can say that I prefere to sit down and drown in the movie. I'm just trying to say that too many times in this forum I saw people opening threads being suddenly criticized: "Why would you do this" "why would you do that"... This is a place where people get fun.. If someone likes to get fun in a way we don't like or we don't share we just should avoid the thread.

Mutt Williams

You're right Prof, but an opinion is an opinion eh? Just my thoughts, if some can take it as an advice, then I'm happy. ;)

NamedAfterDaDog

Thanks, guys, for your feedback :D
Yeah, I'm like that, it's kinda of a curse, haha
I read and find out what happens in movies, then see it on the big screen, and I'm like wow... that was so much better than I thought'd it be. :whip:

So, I agree: an opinion is an opinion

WillKill4Food

Honestly, after reading Pirates 3 before seeing it and being the only one of my friends to know what was happening before it happened, I don't want to know too much about Indy 4. I knew everything that was going to happen in Pirates 3 because I read it on Wikipedia. I didn't get any of the surprises, like Norrington dying, the guvnah dying, or Will turning immortal. Not fun to know what's happening before it happens. Its a curse, really.

Wilhelm

My theory (sorry for my english):

Opener - Marshall College; Indy sees an old rival who owns some artifact / mcguffin and he chases him across the campus. At the same time he meets Mutt.

Indy's home - Mutt tells Indy that his mother is missing. They investigate and discover a plot of soviet agents to steal a Crystal Skull from Area 51.

Area 51 - Indy is captured by the soviets and forced to steal the crystal skull. A great chase sequence in the warehouse. Indy escapes with the skull.

Mexico City - Indy and Mutt meet Mac, who is searching for another crystal skull. They 're competitors at first but decide to join forces against soviets.

Jungles of Peru - A lot of action scenes in rivers, jungles, temples, caves... At last we meet Marion who is captured by Agent Spalko. In the middle of the jungle Indy finds Ox, an old friend and expert in the crystal skulls who disappeared in the jungle while searching for Akator's temple.

Back to Marshall College?

Last edited:

Sankara

The film opens at Yale? Wrong!

George Lucas in Vanity fair:

"We start the movie with the end of another movie, the end of an adventure, and then he goes back to the school, and we have him in school, and he starts a new adventure. That's always consistent in all the movies. And usually the beginning teaser is around 15 minutes, give or take 5 minutes, and in that, it goes pretty fast."

NileQT87

"we start the movie at the end of another movie..."

let's look at the ends...

ark goes into warehouse
indian children are back home / going to delhi
riding off into the sunset

now which of these three scenes has a set that looks identical in indy IV? raiders, of course. he practically confirms that it's a follow-up on the ark in that one line.

so:

warehouse / ark / deming / spalko is confirmed to be in this scene = opener
school / jim broadbent / mutt / motorcycle / indy's home = school
train scene at essex = travel
mexican city
plane scene (southern california airport probably doubles for mexico) = travel
peruvian jungle / temple -- probably where we meet up with john hurt in the second half of the film
5 heroes at the end

i suspect we meet mac in mexico or peru.

spalko will be introduced probably much like belloq was in the opener. mutt will join in at the school. marion and mac will probably come next. marion will probably have to do with why indy is going on the journey and a good enough reason for him to get pulled in--mutt will probably provide this information. either that or indy will find out abner is still around from government guys. it's likely either marion or abner will be used to bring indy and mutt into the story.

there is a huge moving staircase scene--likely in the temple.

we know there is a quicksand scene--likely will be the peruvian section of the film.

Niteshade007

Well, as has been discussed before, if Indy isn't going to be in Cairo, or even anywhere NEAR there, then there's really no need for him. Just throwing him for the sake of throwing him in would be hurtful rather helpful to creating a decent film.

Mike Dowswell

I'll just have to look to Anaconda 3: The Offspring (2008) and Anaconda 4: Trail of Blood (2008) if I want some John Rhys-Davies action...hehe :D

Last edited:

Mike Dowswell

Niteshade007 said:
Well, as has been discussed before, if Indy isn't going to be in Cairo, or even anywhere NEAR there, then there's really no need for him. Just throwing him for the sake of throwing him in would be hurtful rather helpful to creating a decent film.

yep, it's true enough. If the story doesn't require it, then story the story doesn't require it.