Toht's Robotic Arm

vf wing

That's a very interesting little historical footnote about the direction Toht could have taken. In all honesty, i'm pretty sure that he would have kicked that much more booty for me at age 11 when i first saw Raiders. As it stands, it remains an idea to be explored further. That would be an awesome motif for a Russian bad guy in Indy V! And so much more fitting to the era as well!

I wonder how prevalent the knowledge of Toht's potential designs was back in the day. In my years of collecting GI Joe, i noticed several ideas got borrowed from popular films and fleshed out as Joe characters and concepts. Case in point: Drake's and Vasquez's heavy machine guns from Aliens found a very similar cousin in the hands of the Joe Repeater in 1988, two years after the movie. I could name several other examples, but you probably get the idea.

I speculate because in 1983 (two years on from Raiders), a Cobra by the name of Major Bludd debuted with an armored, non-movable arm that stood in stark contrast to every other figure in the line. It's never really been explained or elaborated on since then. Makes me wonder if the designs for Toht are its true genesis!

pellman

The Six Million Dollar Nazi

The original script for Raiders of the Lost Ark portrayed Toht as a cyborg with a metal arm that could change into a machine gun and a flamethrower. The next script gave him a light in his right eye,eventually this was decided as too far-fetched by the directors.

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Toht

I find it hard to believe that this was ever seriously in a script. Sounds more like someone slipped a joke in the wiki. Of course, sillier things have happened. Can anyone here confirm?

pellman said:
http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Toht

I find it hard to believe that this was ever seriously in a script. Sounds more like someone slipped a joke in the wiki. Of course, sillier things have happened. Can anyone here confirm?

yes there are storyboards...

Funny thing, Lucas chided Spielberg for "mixing genres"...HA!

Spielberg talks about it being The Terminator before The Terminator...

2991261712_3e9c44d370.jpg

pellman

Arnold Ernst Toht

A man barely alive ...

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.
We can create the world's first bionic man.

Arnold Toht will be that man.

We can make him better than he was before.

steve-austin-bionic-arm1.jpg

Better. Stronger. Faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Insomniac

Stoo said:
That's very possible. As to when Toht moved to the front car? Interesting question.
The "Complete Making of" book might answer that but I have yet to read it all.

The one you're thinking of is from the storyboards.

TohtEye.jpg

Here's a closer look on the eye. This is the Ron Cobb illustration cropped a bit with the eye portion enlarged.
Originally, Toht was SS with the rank of Obersturmbannführer. Quick google search says that is
"Senior Storm Unit Leader" (like A.Eichmann).:eek:

TohtArm.jpg
These pics kick ass Stoo!
So these are from The Complete Making of Raiders?

Stoo

Hey, Insomniac. The bottom one is from "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones" that came out last year. (It also has 3 more pictures that are not in this thread. One sketch w/scribbled notes by Ron Cobb and 2 colour storyboards.)

The top 2 are from 1981's "Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Illustrated Screenplay". (There is another storyboard from the truck chase that I forgot to scan.)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
There's also that constable in "Young Frakenstein" with a mechanical/prosthetic arm. From the sound effects, you get the idea that it is quite metallic.

Also I liked how he would move his arm this way and that by manipulating it with his other actual arm (kind of like that Toht storyboard pic where Toht is shooting with his mechanical arm and controlling with his real arm).

I'm glad they ditched it for Raiders. I reckon if there was an Indy 5; no doubt we'd probably see it as it would be more in line with the era and it would be quite Bond-esque (along the line of Jaws the henchman that always kept showing up in the Moore ones). That and since they always look at what's been left out of the other films, they might pick it up again (though they could have used it in KOTCS if they really wanted to, so it might not happen for 5).

I guess what really counts to me is if it is put into 5, (provided it gets made) is really if they make good use of it. No use putting in something cool, if you don't use it effectively (ie the Jungle Cutter).

Forbidden Eye

Ironically Lucas dismissed this idea for being "too sci-fi". My how things have changed. :p

My thoughts: Fascinating idea, but Toht is quite an effective villain, so there's not much to really regret.

indyartist

Forbidden Eye said:
Ironically Lucas dismissed this idea for being "too sci-fi". My how things have changed. :p

My thoughts: Fascinating idea, but Toht is quite an effective villain, so there's not much to really regret.
TOO sci-fi. Wow. Just hope #5 isn't sci-fi but in the realm of mystical like Raiders and filmed like Raiders (like the old serials - under budget and under schedule). Don't rely so much on technology. Now, that would be great. Love watching the INDIANA JONES Bonus Material disc with the making of the first 3. Can't get enough of it.

jamesdude

Kooshmeister said:
Yeah, I agree. Toht was also supposed to have a glowing bionic eye at one point, too, I think. I've seen some concept art of him where a white light is shining out of one eye. It looks really creepy.

Glowing Bionic Eye? you mean like....

kano.gif

Kano from Mortal Kombat?

Violet Indy said:
There's also that constable in "Young Frakenstein" with a mechanical/prosthetic arm. From the sound effects, you get the idea that it is quite metallic.

It would have been too much...like following in his fathers voodshtops