Toht's Robotic Arm

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
Yep. Ironically, he told Spielberg it was too sci-fi. And as previously mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing a version of the mechanical arm in a possible Indy V.

wii_sword.jpg

"Mutt, disengage!"

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
TheMutt92 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a version of the mechanical arm in a possible Indy V.
With a little more recycling, it could be on (Chinese General?) Kao Kan, assuming the finger Indy severed went gangrenous and spread up to the shoulder...

WillKill4Food

So what would happen to the metal when this happens to him?
toht.jpg

Would it melt or just flop to the ground like the radio equitment?

No Ticket

The arm idea is cool. I don't know if it fits the Indy-verse... however. I'm thinking that a good alternate take on the adventure series would be a movie that mixed sci-fi elements with WWII. You know, the fantasy stuff that Hitler was working on like robotic appendages and crazy stuff like that. A hyper-reality of WWII. (makes me want to write a story about it myself actually, maybe I will)

I don't think it would have worked very well, especially in the 1980s. But I like the idea enough to not completely dismiss it, for whatever reason. Imagine an Indy fight against a guy with a robotic arm. Indy punches him real hard with all his might and then he barely moves his arm and knocks the **** out of Indy. He could be the big bad guy Indy fights at the end of the movie.

Niteshade007

I'm glad they axed the idea. It doesn't feel right. Although, I agree with No Ticket, it does have a very hyper-reality feel to it. For some reason it feels very Sky Captain-esque.

col.dietrich

i dont really like toht with the robotic arm. he just looks weired!(n)
if he was like this in the actuall film, what would be his grusom death?:confused:

Stoo

Kooshmeister said:
Ah yes, where he's riding in the rear car, a remnant of the old idea that he dies going over the cliff with Gobler. When and where was it decided to put Toht in the front car instead? It had to be a late decision because he dies going off the cliff with Gobler in the comic and the novel.

Whenever they opted to change it I'm sure it had a lot to do with Ronald Lacey's performance, prompting Lucas and Spielberg to keep him around a little longer to die a more gruesome death at the end. And the movie is all the better for it.
That's very possible. As to when Toht moved to the front car? Interesting question.
The "Complete Making of" book might answer that but I have yet to read it all.

Kooshmeister said:
I think so. Is it where he's reaching for the medallion, and his eye is like shining a little mini spotlight on it? 'Cause that's the one I saw.
The one you're thinking of is from the storyboards.

TohtEye.jpg

Here's a closer look on the eye. This is the Ron Cobb illustration cropped a bit with the eye portion enlarged.
Originally, Toht was SS with the rank of Obersturmbannführer. Quick google search says that is
"Senior Storm Unit Leader" (like A.Eichmann).:eek:

TohtArm.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
Perhaps he didn't reach for the headpiece because this version of the hand had a fixed gunbarrel finger, unsuitable for grasping like the claw version. Unless it was to be played for laughs. Like the joke about burning one's ear with the iron when the phone rings, then burning the other to call an ambulance.

Stoo

No Ticket said:
I don't think it would have worked very well, especially in the 1980s.
Niteshade007 said:
I'm glad they axed the idea. It doesn't feel right.
In retrospect, it may not feel right but if that was in the movie in '81, no one would have known any different.
It would have been a cool touch, just like everything else in the movie. So I, respectfully, disagree on that point.
(Granted, the series would have taken a whole other direction.)

Moedred said:
With a little more recycling, it could be on (Chinese General?) Kao Kan, assuming the finger Indy severed went gangrenous and spread up to the shoulder...
Nice one! I like that idea.

Perhaps he didn't reach for the headpiece because this version of the hand had a fixed gunbarrel finger, unsuitable for grasping like the claw version. Unless it was to be played for laughs. Like the joke about burning one's ear with the iron when the phone rings, then burning the other to call an ambulance.
Ha! Either that or he was just right-handed.:p

Found this in "The Complete Making of" book:
----
Concepts are roughed out for the Nazi Belzig who, early on, was equipped with a mechanical arm and a radio
antenna that hooked into his head; artist Ron Cobb's notes read, "Hears song that he hates..."

He was later renamed Toht, and his arm was shown to double as a machine gun; Cobb noted that the arm
would've featured a "banana clip, ejection slot & breech, gloved hand".

Another Toht illustration by Cobb resembles actor Christopher Lee (who was playing a Nazi at this time in Spielberg's 1941).
----
There is another sketch of Belzig shown, but here's a storyboard detail of Toht (Edward Verreaux, 1979).
I like how he's steadying the shot with his right hand!

TohtArmGun_1.jpg

Kooshmeister

Moedred said:
Perhaps he didn't reach for the headpiece because this version of the hand had a fixed gunbarrel finger, unsuitable for grasping like the claw version. Unless it was to be played for laughs.

In other words, he's Mr. Igoe? :whip:

Stoo said:

That one guy looks like he's getting a liiiiiiiiittle too friendly with Toht's posterior, there.

That or he's moving to restrain him, thinking, "Dude, quit showing off with your gun-arm. We have a huge machinegun right here!"

TheMutt92

Okay, after looking through all the old info, I really want a villain w/ a mechanical gun arm for Indy V. It'd be a sci-fi touch I think (hopefully) most of us wouldn't object to. (y)

muttjones

TheMutt92 said:
Okay, after looking through all the old info, I really want a villain w/ a mechanical gun arm for Indy V. It'd be a sci-fi touch I think (hopefully) most of us wouldn't object to. (y)

yeh that would be cool but lucas would do it all cgi. it would be a nice throwback to what they originally wanted.

maybe lucas should take all the things they cut out from all four indy movies and try to put them together in indy V

Maybe Lucas can get Baal from Metalstorm.

92631930_2e491c5773_m.jpg

And Lee Majors as Bionic Indy!

444027047_8668afb1cf.jpg

In the ultimate Man Vs. Machine smackdown...

topten2_borg4d.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Attack of the Borg

Last edited:

Niteshade007

Stoo said:
In retrospect, it may not feel right but if that was in the movie in '81, no one would have known any different.
It would have been a cool touch, just like everything else in the movie. So I, respectfully, disagree on that point.
(Granted, the series would have taken a whole other direction.)

Yes, I guess my main thing was that it would take out the realistic feel that Raiders has. I guess I don't hate the idea, but I'm glad they didn't use it.