The Dark Knight

The Golden Idol

Zealot said:
5) The ugly face of Harvey Dent doesn't have an eye lid. I don't really know what exactly happens to an eye if someone can't blink, but I doubt he can have just walk around as normal. And the pain must be unbearable.

Actually, his eye would have dried up since blinking is necessary to keep the eyes clean and moist.

QBComics

I'd hate to be a downer, but I found another plot hole:

When Joker is blowing up the hospital dressed as a nurse, why does the bus wait. Could they not clearly see he was dissapointed in the explosion and was beating a detanator? Do they wait because they don't know it's Joker? Then why does no one call to him to get on the bus?

Sorry. Had to get it out... :rolleyes:

Deckard

QBComics said:
I'd hate to be a downer, but I found another plot hole:

When Joker is blowing up the hospital dressed as a nurse, why does the bus wait. Could they not clearly see he was dissapointed in the explosion and was beating a detanator? Do they wait because they don't know it's Joker? Then why does no one call to him to get on the bus?

Sorry. Had to get it out... :rolleyes:

Because the Joker's goons already took over the bus and were waiting for him... it's also one of the Joker's goons that grabs Mike Engle by the arm and pulls him into the bus.

Maybe your thinking too hard about what's wrong with it instead of enjoying it?

QBComics

Deckard said:
Because the Joker's goons already took over the bus and were waiting for him... it's also one of the Joker's goons that grabs Mike Engle by the arm and pulls him into the bus.

Maybe your thinking too hard about what's wrong with it instead of enjoying it?

Ah, thanks. I indeed was thinking too hard, but with that clear I can enjoy the movie a lot more now. :)

Zealot

TheMutt92 said:
Well to start things off, these aren't really mistakes or irregularities for the most part, they are just either things you did not understand or things that were maybe not as clear as they should have been...

Ok, true, but still. I mean, I had trouble following the story, let alone someone who didn't watch Batman Begins or doesn't know anything about Batman. IMHO, this is a flaw.

TheMutt92 said:
This scene is actually important for several reasons:
- reestablishes the character of Batman, and answers the question of 'what happened to Scarecrow?'
- establishes the fact that Batman's suit is no longer as helpful - introduces the idea of copycats, furthering the idea that Gotham may not need Batman

Ok, you are right, but I still think they could have done it more "elegantly". And besides, who cares what happened at Scarecrow? Last I remember he was locked in Arkham, why bring it back just for 5 minutes of the movie?

TheMutt92 said:
Batman starts cutting through the car in order to nab Scarecrow. And when he lands on the van, he crushes the roof due in part to both his weight (as a physically fit man and with all that armor on) and the long fall.

I think that they mention at several points in the movie and its prequel that Batman's armor is actually rather light. So he brakes a van, but doesn't brake a single bone?

TheMutt92 said:
Batman's armor protected them.

Once again, I don't buy this. I understand that the armor is good against bullets and knives and such, but falls? Really, even if Rachel landed on Batman, she would still had to broke at least SOMETHING. Remember that Batman is human too.

TheMutt92 said:
Gordon mentions other hospitals, but Gotham General was the most important.

I still think that Joker pulled it off too easily.

TheMutt92 said:
Its a character based off from a comic book. And to have done it realisticlly might've guaranteed an R-rating.

I think by the way it looks now it already deserves an R-rating.

TheMutt92 said:
The hostages were the people from the bus Joker jumped on after the hospital scene.

I don't remember that movie explains this anywhere.

TheMutt92 said:
Then again, can you really clearly see Joker's face?

Actually, yes, especially since he has that long upside down monologue of his.

TheMutt92 said:
To sum it all up, its all nit-picking that dosn't matter, and for me dosn't take anything away from the film itself.

People are nit-picking at every scene imaginable from Indy movies on these forums, while I have "nit-picked" like what, 10% of the movie? Really.

Niteshade007

Zealot said:
Ok, you are right, but I still think they could have done it more "elegantly". And besides, who cares what happened at Scarecrow? Last I remember he was locked in Arkham, why bring it back just for 5 minutes of the movie?

Actually, I believe that the Scarecrow isn't in Arkham in the end. I'm pretty sure he's escapes during the whole end scene with the panicking in the poor part of town. I've only seen the movie maybe two times, but I'm pretty sure that he is on the loose by the end of Begins.

Zealot said:
I think that they mention at several points in the movie and its prequel that Batman's armor is actually rather light. So he brakes a van, but doesn't brake a single bone?...Once again, I don't buy this. I understand that the armor is good against bullets and knives and such, but falls? Really, even if Rachel landed on Batman, she would still had to broke at least SOMETHING. Remember that Batman is human too.

You bring up a good point, and obviously they just didn't want to put Rachel in a cast for the most of the movie. Batman's armor is really the only explanation anyone can give, and it isn't exactly a great one.

Zealot said:
I still think that Joker pulled it off too easily.

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I believe they knew it would be Gotham General because that's where Dent was. The Joker found out that Dent was there I believe because of the cop who's wife or mother or something was in the hospital there too. The mob got to that cop, and Joker is in with the mob, so was able to find out. I'm not positive about that, but there is some significance to the cop. Maybe it's just that he was supposed to kill the accountant, but I thought it had something to do with the hospital as well.

Zealot said:
I don't remember that movie explains this anywhere.

It doesn't outright say "These are the hostages from the bus," but Batman tackles one and it's the reporter (Anthony Michael Hall). Anthony Michael Hall was kidnapped on the bus, as we saw when he was pulled onto the bus and again when he was reporting that thing the Joker had written down. One can piece the two together and realize that the others are probably people from the bus as well.

Those are really the only thing I can give you answers for.

The Man

Niteshade007 said:
You bring up a good point, and obviously they just didn't want to put Rachel in a cast for the most of the movie. Batman's armor is really the only explanation anyone can give, and it isn't exactly a great one.

They couldn't plausibly have walked away unscathed, but it's oddly hilarious in retrospect. "Rachel is invincible? Balls! No way! She should have di - KABOOM - "Oh..."

Katarn07

Does Batman send a current through his cape at the last second when he catches Rachel? That scene is the only to irk me in the whole movie.

All these other flaws you point out are either NOT flaws (you're not paying enough attention) or you need to remember while much more realistic than other comic book movies, it's still a comic book movie. Suspend some disbelief, especially when it comes to Two-Face. That was an amazing look for the character and true to the comics while still adding a bit more realism to him (asymmetrical split face, burnt suit instead of the two-tone suit in the comics/Batman Forever).

Zealot

Katarn07 said:
All these other flaws you point out are either NOT flaws (you're not paying enough attention) or you need to remember while much more realistic than other comic book movies, it's still a comic book movie. Suspend some disbelief, especially when it comes to Two-Face. That was an amazing look for the character and true to the comics while still adding a bit more realism to him (asymmetrical split face, burnt suit instead of the two-tone suit in the comics/Batman Forever).

If the movie is so much trying to be realistic, then they could at least made Two-Face...well, realistic. Besides, I never said that they made him wrong, he was much more scary and realistic THAN Two-Face from the previous Batman movie. What gets me is the eye not blinking...the eye!

And I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question about the ferries. Where were those people going? Were they evacuating the ENTIRE freakin city because Joker made some ridiculous threat?

caats

you need to get what realistic is in this context. it's realistic, but still staying true to it's source material. seriously nothing in this movie is different from a comic arc with Two Face or the Joker as the villain.

The Man

Zealot said:
And I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question about the ferries. Where were those people going? Were they evacuating the ENTIRE freakin city because Joker made some ridiculous threat?

The Joker declared Gotham his - and told those who wanted out to leave the city. He hinted that anybody leaving by the bridge was in for a 'surprise', effectively leading them onto the ferries.

One boat contained fleeing civilians, the other full of prisoners that were less of a danger than if they stayed and fell under The Joker's persuasion.

oki9Sedo

I saw the film for the second time this Christmas.

I have to say, I think its really, really good. The best film of the summer. Everything about it is top notch.

All this nitpicking is precisely that. Nitpicking. It really stands up very well.

Forbidden Eye

oki9Sedo said:
I saw the film for the second time this Christmas.

I have to say, I think its really, really good. The best film of the summer. Everything about it is top notch.

All this nitpicking is precisely that. Nitpicking. It really stands up very well.

What's wrong with "nitpicking"? The fact that they released the movie to the public surely means we're able to critique it if we desire. And I think when a movie breaks all box office records, gets rave reviews from the critics and the general public alike, devoted fanboys, lame fangirls lusting over Ledger, and the ignorant young people making dimwitted claims like "TDK is teh best movie EVAR1111111!!" as well as constant hype for stuff such as academy awards, then yes, I believe it is fair to make observations about the movie and realize the movie was not perfect, despite what the population would like us to believe. Sure it might be the best superhero movie ever, hell it can possibly be justified as the best movie of the year, but you'd have to have a pretty limited knowledge of film to believe the film is the best of all time. Thus, the realization of flaws(if they're reasonable and well-constructed) are welcome imo.

And having read Zealot's criticisms, while a do agree a couple of those points should be classified as nitpicks(although, awesome observation on Two Face's eye Zealot! I never thought of that before. I'll never watch that character the same way again. :hat: ) I do agree the film was rushed through in parts(just so the ADD generation wouldn't get bored :rolleyes: ) such as the boat scene. Not to mention the film asked us to suspend disbelief A LOT. I do feel like chuckling when that explosion knocks everyone out EXCEPT the Joker.

Here's another noticeable mistake I caught since the first viewing(but ignored it simply because there were a lot of questions I had), when Two Face flips the coin, he states he only shoots people if the coin is on the burnt side, so why does he shoot the driver?(or even more importantly, whatever happens to the guy he was talking to?)

Crusade>Raiders

Who are you to say what someone thinks is the best movie of all time? Hell, there are people on this site that says Temple of Doom is the best movie of all time. Do I agree with them? Of course not, but they have the right to their opinion. Plus, it helps that The Dark Knight just so happens to be a masterful movie, with a fantastic screenplay, great performances(especially from Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger), Nolan's sense of storytelling, a soundtrack that only adds to the atmosphere(like when Fox walks into the big Watch-a-Tron room, or when that suspenseful music shows up at the end of the Batman-Joker interrogation), etc, etc, etc.

agentsands77

Forbidden Eye said:
Here's another noticeable mistake I caught since the first viewing(but ignored it simply because there were a lot of questions I had), when Two Face flips the coin, he states he only shoots people if the coin is on the burnt side, so why does he shoot the driver?(or even more importantly, whatever happens to the guy he was talking to?)
That's not a mistake. Two-Face first flips for Maroni, but Maroni gets off. So Two-Face flips for Maroni's driver, which enables him to kill the driver as a way of getting a second chance at Maroni.

Forbidden Eye

agentsands77 said:
That's not a mistake. Two-Face first flips for Maroni, but Maroni gets off. So Two-Face flips for Maroni's driver, which enables him to kill the driver as a way of getting a second chance at Maroni.

I get that, but he only kills people if he flips the coin on the burnt side. For Maroni's driver, he flipped the same side he did for Maroni, yet he still shot Maroni's driver.

The Man

Forbidden Eye said:
I get that, but he only kills people if he flips the coin on the burnt side. For Maroni's driver, he flipped the same side he did for Maroni, yet he still shot Maroni's driver.

As long as he spared Ramirez, I'll be happy with Ol' Harve's behaviour. She's a stealth-bomb hottie...

caats

Forbidden Eye said:

haha wooow, i didn't even know you could see the coin when he flipped it. and if you can, that's just one of those lil mistakes that don't matter like the ones in all the Indy movies.