Has Uncle George Butchered Your Childhood?

Has Uncle George Ruined you childhood?

• Yes - Lets Lynch him!

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • No - It's Just a Story Kid.

Votes: 104 86.7%

• Total voters

peterlally

Im talking KOTCS & Episodes 1 -3.

Have these films spoiled the series? Spolied our enjoyment or understanding of the others??

My vote is no!

Loads of people are screming that their Chilhood has been raped, I admit at times I feel thier pain. Lets get this settled once and for all.

peterlally

Good answer! This isnt a do you love or Hate Indy 4. Its do you think the new generation of Lucas Films are an insult to the originals and damaging your fondness of the originals.

Get voting The Man

Agent Z

No, not at all.

Each film is its own flavor of Indy.

Raiders = B-movie serial roots dressed up in A-movie sensibilities

Doom = dark, dark, horror/action rollercoaster ride

Crusade = light on action, heavy on character/situational comedy

Kingdom = as close to a live action comic book as you can get. Very breezy and high-spirited.

In much the same vein as the character of Spider-Man gets so many different looks and tones from writers and artists, the Indy saga has also been put through different lenses.

I enjoy the different styles. I enjoy each film on its respective terms.

peterlally

Can I just make the disclamer that if the poll finishes in favour of option one, I as the author of this thread do not condone the lynching of George Lucas or indeed anyone without their implicit permission, subject to applicable laws of the country in which the above said lynching is to take place.

Make Love not War

graz

I have to say, I hated Phantom Menace soooooo much at the time that I did feel he had pissed all over my childhood memories from a great height.

Although he obviously was a major influence in the sci-fi elements in Indy 4, he did stop short (IN MY OPINION) of ruining the franchise, since I enjoyed the film so much. I think they got away with it DESPITE of George's involvment.

So no, don't lynch him, but give him a kick up the arse for being annoying! :D

Dust McAlan

Agent Z said:
No, not at all.

Each film is its own flavor of Indy.

Raiders = B-movie serial roots dressed up in A-movie sensibilities

Doom = dark, dark, horror/action rollercoaster ride

Crusade = light on action, heavy on character/situational comedy

Kingdom = as close to a live action comic book as you can get. Very breezy and high-spirited.

In much the same vein as the character of Spider-Man gets so many different looks and tones from writers and artists, the Indy saga has also been put through different lenses.

That's a great way of looking at Kingdom. A great way.

I don't believe in the term "raped my childhood" because the original films still exist and your original experiences still exist. If a really bad film had come out when you were a child, and you had watched it, or if a great film with really scary stuff had come out and you watched it, and it had caused undue trauma to you as a kid, I'd say that would work as "raping your childhood."

That said, E.T., Gremlins, and Temple of Doom raped my childhood, but Temple gave me a bit of Stockholm Syndrome and I came back for more. Temple took my virginity and made me a man. :whip:

peterlally

Dust McAlan said:
the original films still exist and your original experiences still exist. If a really bad film had come out when you were a child, and you had watched it, or if a great film with really scary stuff had come out and you watched it, and it had caused undue trauma to you as a kid, I'd say that would work as "raping your childhood."

If KOTCS has come out a year or two after LC we would have all though WTF? but by now we would have accepted it. Its just gonna take time to grow. You wait 20 years for something it aint going to be as good as you imagined because you have perfected your own personal version in your head.

That said I think we all really wanted FOA to be a film. When Barwood came out with that story Lucas was struggling for a MacGuffin, he should have patted Barwood on the back and said you have just written Indy 4 my friend you wont be using that story for you next computer game matey boy until weve made the movie.

NO, he hasn't quite butchered it. He's not that important. But, by God, I swear I saw a brief vision of him working in a slaughterhouse.

Dust McAlan

peterlally said:
If KOTCS has come out a year or two after LC we would have all though WTF? but by now we would have accepted it. Its just gonna take time to grow. You wait 20 years for something it aint going to be as good as you imagined because you have perfected your own personal version in your head.

That said I think we all really wanted FOA to be a film. When Barwood came out with that story Lucas was struggling for a MacGuffin, he should have patted Barwood on the back and said you have just written Indy 4 my friend you wont be using that story for you next computer game matey boy until weve made the movie.
Oh yes, we all wanted Fate of Atlantis as a feature. My point is that "raping your childhood" is pretty impossible, because the originals still exist. However, I truly believe Lucas raped a collective of childhoods when he "fixed" Star Wars and had Greedo shoot first. That was a geniune unwanted touch, and if Chris Hansen had had a show back then, he would have showed up at Skywalker Ranch for that.

thelaw

peterlally said:

I do agree with that sentiment. Although if it hadn't been 20 years later, we may not have seen the monkeys...

I do have to say that even being 4th in a group of movies like Indiana Jones is still a pretty good place to be.

The only "raping my childhood" I feel is when the old movies are altered...but I don't mind the removal of the snake's reflection so on some level, I'm a hypocrite.

Mrs_Fedora

peterlally said:

Yes! I keep saying that all the time! We have to give Skull some years. TOD was bashed by critics AND fans at the time, and now it's a classic and loads of people love it!

BTW i voted no. He DID brought us Star Wars 4, 5 and 6 AND the Indy Trilogy.
And i don't like people being lynched, it's sooo... Middle Ages

Quickening

peterlally said:

Yeah I so wanted Fate of Atlantis as Indy 4. I wouldn't say "raped my childhood" but the years went by and I saw follow ups to all the classic franchises like Rocky and Die Hard but Indiana Jones was the only one I truly cared about and I was expecting that finale to rule them all hands down. So Indy 4 gravelly disappointed me but not to the extent that it could make me dislike the original trilogy or make me hate the character of Indiana Jones.
But I put Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis along with the original trilogy unlike KOTCS. Like you said Lucas should have just done FOA. It was a masterpiece.

James

Agent Z said:

Nice descriptions. I also think of each film as being a distinct pulp adventure. KOTCS is basically all the fun stuff from 1950s B movies crammed into one film.

Michael24

I'll say "no" as well. As much as I don't care for the Prequels, they've done nothing to damper my enjoyment of the originals, which I still watch whenever I can.

And I enjoyed KOTCS, so no problems there, either. Actually, with the exception of the Prequels (and maybe Howard the Duck :p ), I don't really have much of a problem with Lucas.

deckard24

No yet!

Indy is still alright in my opinion, but the Star Wars series have been ruined a bit for me! If anything it's a combination of the lackluster first two prequels and the fact that I became oversaturated with them, and that in turn has left me uninterested in revisting the original trilogy. Now if they turn around and make an Indy V, that takes the weaknesses of KOTCS to an even further degree I'll have to revise my opinion. I do enjoy KOTCS for what it is, but I'm not blind to its faults which upon repeat viewings it has many!

By the way why is he Uncle George? It sounds kind of creepy!! LOL

MaxPhactor23

This is so obnoxiously dramatic. Why do Lucas-drones always exaggerate disappointment into suicidal tendencies? Just because I walked out of the prequel trilogy letdown doesn?t mean my life is ruined. It just means my eyes aren?t blinded by that said childhood memories. When I?m letdown, I haven?t a problem admitting that it sucks. Because I speak of that said disappointment?doesn?t mean I cry at night. Lucas didn?t ruin my childhood. Those memories can?t be maltreated. The story can be f?ed up, but those memories will always be there. As long as George stops superficially tinkering with his movies, we?ve got the originals to still love and adore. The days of Lucas being more of an artist and less of a businessman have long gone. Those derive straight from my childhood. The prequels and Crystal Skull don?t even have to be accepted if one so wishes. People can just pretend they don?t exist or edit them as much as they like. It?s really up to the viewer. So do I feel that George Lucas has lost his talent? Yes! Did it ruin my life? Of course not!