Has Uncle George Butchered Your Childhood?

Has Uncle George Ruined you childhood?

• Yes - Lets Lynch him!

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • No - It's Just a Story Kid.

Votes: 104 86.7%

• Total voters

Kooshmeister

Whether one likes it or not, it's just a movie, so I choose not to go after Lucas (or Spielberg, for that matter) with murderous rage. :D

Not even for the Star Wars prequels.

Indy1986

question....i keep wondering why
why is star wars episode 1-3 and kingdom not as strong as the others (i am not referring to the plot of indy4) .
is it the knew generation of actors? were we just so used to see han solo and luke... or indy being single with no family
is it the CGI that we didn't have in the 80's ....so the overall look?
what makes it so hard to adapt the new films to the old parts?

Kooshmeister

Indy1986 said:
why is star wars episode 1-3 and kingdom not as strong as the others (i am not referring to the plot of indy4)

That I can't answer because it's all a matter of opinion and personal taste. Either you like a movie, or you don't. And everyone has their reasons and more importantly, their theories. It's not enough to simply dislike a film. We have to rationalize it. And I admit I'm no different.

With me, the Star Wars movies work like this. Due to technical limitations in the original trilogy, Lucas and friends were forced to focus more on the characters, and this was all for the better. Flash-forward to 1999, the eve of the new millennium, and Lucas has got all this technology at his disposal he didn't have a decade or so ago, so he goes hog-wild with it in the three new movies, placing emphasis on the action rather than the characters, because he's a big kid at heart and just wants to do cool action scenes.

There's a lot of this in Crystal Skull, but thankfully not as much. With the Star Wars prequels, Lucas had total creative control so he was basically God, but with the fourth Indiana Jones film, it was a collaborative effort so it would appear as if Spielberg did his best to reign Lucas in. He didn't entirely succeed, obviously, which is why we get stuff like Tarzan-swinging and swordfighting on top of moving vehicles, but overall the movie makes a genuine effort to be about more than just the action. Like Spielberg with Lucas, it fell a little short of the mark, but came close enough that I enjoyed it and I accept it as an Indiana Jones movie.

No Ticket

Nooooo.... I think you're taking it waaaaay too seriously if you really feel that KOTCS, one movie, ruined Indiana Jones for you and your childhood.

Agent Z

Honestly, watching Kingdom and understanding the tone and references, Lucas and Spielberg, despite the film's flaws, made me reflect on and appreciate what it was like to be a kid..and to have crazy, unrealistic adventures for my heroes.

Not everyone's vibe, I'm sure, but I enjoyed seeing Indy through that different filter for a change.

muttjones

if they focused a bit more on indy's relationships with marion and mutt then the movie would have been happily accepted as a welcome addition to the indiana jones films.

sadly my generation has no attention spans anymore.:sleep:

jamiestarr

Honestly, I think that fans of Star Wars and Indiana Jones have to at least consider the following:

Most of us became enamored with these films during our youth.

From 1983 to 1999 we grew up.
From 1989 to 2008 we grew up.

Sure, the time in between affected Lucas, Spielberg, and the art/craft of making these films. More importantly, the time in between affected our entire world view/perception---not to mention how we view/appreciate films.

Indiana Jones and Star Wars are gonna hit me differently at age 26 than they did at age 6, or 16, and so forth.

It is perfectly within fanboys rights to not be satisfied with the new Indy or Star Wars flicks. However, we fanboys have to recognize that there are millions and millions of people who loved the prequels and the new Indy film. Usually, appreciation of any art form has just as much to do with the viewer as it does the creator.

Bottom line: Claiming George butchered your childhood is ridculous.

Last edited:

indyclone25

no i think they did what the did to make a good story ---- i'm happy with what they have done -- granted i don't watch episode one as much as the original trilogy but i will watch it when it comes on tv ---and as for indy kotcs i will probably waer out my dvd copy after a few hundred veiwings by christmas---lol