Describe yourself in six books or less

Deadlock

As I am sure you know, there is a thread where you can post your photo and your profile. That gives everybody a little bit of idea about who you are. But what about your mind? You personality? What REALLY makes you tick? I have an idea about how to give everyone an idea about who you are?

Describe yourself with the titles of six books (or less). These books would illustrate how you think, what has influenced you, what?s important to you, what your interests and hobbies are. Keep it to six or less, and let us know how a particular book represents you, and why. (Or not, if you prefer to be cryptic?)

After much deliberation, here are mine:
  • Love and Responsibility by Karol Wojtyla (my philosophy)
  • Orthodoxy by G.K Chesterton (one of my hobbies;))
  • The Days Are Just Packed by Bill Watterson (more of my philosophy, plus my sense of humor)
  • The Lord of the Rings (my childhood and my tastes in storytelling.
  • The Mafia Manager: A Guide to the Corporate Machiavelli by V (me at work :))
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan (my family)
This list isn't a totally definative picture of yours truly? but if you read all of this, you would know a lot more about where I?m coming from. ;)

Last edited:

Kate

Haven't seen a thread this good since "if you could invite any two LOTR characters to a sleepover..." on Tolkien Online! :p Here's my list...

-In the Forests of Serre (Patricia McKillip)- This represents the writer in me- I consider myself a writer above all else and Patricia McKillip's books, especially this one, inspire me greatly.
-Sofia (Joan Logghe)- This short beautiful volume of poetry about growing up in the Southwest rings very true. New Mexico will always be a part of me.
- The Crucible (Arthur Miller)- Because fighting religious oppression is my Cause of Choice.

I could've added more but these three just about sum it up. Read these three and you will know me very well.

Kate

whoa....don't know what happened there. sorry

Edit: fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyMcFly

Hmmm... good thread.

Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox
Represents my love of movies and Back to the Future

Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Comic Book Adaptation by Marvel Comics
(just kidding...)

The Bible (or, specifically the Gospel of Matthew?)
Represents my love of God and Catholocism, and the enjoyment I get from talking to others about God and seeing joy in others spread through Christ.

I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action by Jackie Chan
Represents my enjoyment in martial arts, and of Jackie Chan movies.

I can't think of any more... lol I need to read more, I guess. Though I have to finish the Bible, first. There's about 60 something books in there.

In Christ,
Shane

Tennessee R

Gods, Graves, and Scholars. C.W. Ceram. My love for Archaeology
Around the world in 80 days. Jules Verne. For my slight eccentricy (Mind you, not crazily eccentric, just slightly eccentric)
The Lost World. Sir Arthor Conan Doyle. My passion for adventure.
Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Sir Arthor Conan Doyle. Showing an amount of analytical thinking that I think everyone wants to achieve.
Arnold's Bodybuilding for men. Which indicates my striving to great physical fitness.
And the foremost, the Holy Bible. Showing us the ideal life, and guiding us ever more to that perfect end, where at last, we shall be with our Creator for eternity.

Now, mind you, not all of these are my absolute favorite books, but the ones that indicate my life.
Anyone, and everyone feel free to indicate further what these books can indicate about my life.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Hmm...I like this. Of course, mis amigos, I understand as you do that we cannot possibly convey our whole being in 6 books, but it's a fascinating exercise nevertheless.

Inherit the Wind - the evils of bias and bigotry
David McCullough's John Adams - the idol in the temple of statesmen
Around the World in Eighty Days - sparked my love of reading and of the quest for knowledge
Don Quixote - the courage to be an idealist and the wisdom to be a realist
Catch-22 - irreverance
I'll leave the 6th open, as I always do

Indy Benson

Dances With Trout by John Gierach

The Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Walden by Henry David Thoreau

Legends of the Fall by Jim Harrison

Deadlock

Kate said:
Haven't seen a thread this good since "if you could invite any two LOTR characters to a sleepover..." on Tolkien Online! :p

Thanks for the compliment. I think there could be some interesting insights into people around here... Hopefully some of the more cryptic and opinionated members of the Raven will give us a peek into their mental machinations. :D

"All I ever really needed to know I klearned in kintergarden" Robert J Fulghum.. Live an let live some alternate views of every day things. Ultimate insights onlife. Treasure trove of thinking . Best damn book ever written period!!! That is for realist not for the politically correct.

Finn

Staff member
<i>The Unknown Soldier</i> by Väinö Linna

<i>Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy</i> by Douglas Adams

<i>Inside the Playboy Mansion: If you don't Swing, don't Ring</I> by Gretchen Edgren

<i>The Year of the Hare</i> by Arto Paasilinna

<i>Diary of the Delirium Trementic</i> by Juha Vuorinen

<i>This Is the Road: In Honor of Professor Heikki Ylikangas</i> by various authors

Finn

Staff member
Ah yes, the original con men's and back-stabbers' handbook. How could I forget that? ;)

Deadlock

The Prince nearly made my list too... I think that unless you're going to be a hermit or join a monastery, you should read it. Great insight on human nature and people in positions of authority.

westford

The Tao of Pooh and Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

Garfield At Large by Jim Davis

Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell

The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Deadlock said:
The Prince nearly made my list too... I think that unless you're going to be a hermit or join a monastery, you should read it. Great insight on human nature and people in positions of authority.

Pretty sure the Princewrote another book entitled "how to run a doable forum"

Deadlock

westford said:
Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell

Great book. I remember reading this a couple years back... it was the summer I lost faith in humanity. I read 1984 and then Lord of the Flies... :D

Rick5150

I read the Green Mile in serial form and liked the story, but hated the format. When I get to the point where I turn the page to find ...to be continued... I do not like that. So much is lost between readings as I read other books in between and detached from the Green Mile between each release.

I am shallow when it comes to reading books though, as I read them to learn or to escape from the mundane. Lately I have had a short attention span and prefer trivia books - especially the "Imponderables" series (Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise?, Do Penguins have knees, How Does Aspirin Find a Headache, etc.). The Survival Guides are cool too and pretty Indy-ish.

I have everything I can get my hands on by Stephen King, Dean Koontz, John Saul, Rick Hatula, Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, Alan Dean Foster, Isaac Asimov, and many others. My life is such that I cannot get as absorbed in books as I used to and as a result, I do not want to read a great book a few pages at a time.

Ha well you have given a lot of lattitude toa lot of folks ... Now you need to read about longitude and how it has modernized and mechanized the world .. It did not run clockwise but was captured by a clock maker.