Describe yourself in six books or less

Pale Horse

Staff member
quite literally, it is a collection of legal writings, historical writings, poetic writings, psalmist (or song, if you will) writings, philosophical writings, and prophetic writings. :)

Finn

Staff member
...and legends plus fairy tales.

<small>"You are the son of WHO? ...Yea, yea, right... be then! But walk elsewhere! You scare off the fish!"</small>

Well let us not forget then myths, distortions, opinions, hysteria, haullinations, misinterptitations and last but not least truth.

Finn

Staff member
It should not all be taken as truth, naturally... but I dare to claim that the Good Book does hold the true keys to a good life.

<small>And we're going OT.</small>

Joe Brody

(1) For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway (the story about the importance of ideals and time's lack of importance)

(2) South by Sir Ernest Shakelton (the importance of doing a job and doing it right -- the utlimate lesson in responsiblity)

(3) On Writing by Stephen King (importance of nostalgia and personal history -- bundled as two-for-one with solid pointers on how to be a better writer). [On the personal history/nostalgia front my second choice would by Christmas Memory by Truman Capote]

(4) Orientalism by Edward Said (introduction to Foucualt and taught me the lesson that there is always more than one way to look at everything)

(5) On The Road by Jack Kerouac (since one Kerouac has already been taken. . . . Hard to put into words but it broadened my horizons and showed me that others have gone down the same road before me).

(6) Empire of the Senseless by Kathy Acker. Today, things are not linear or simple.

Others . . . .Crime & Punishment, Envisioning Information Tufte, A Theory of Interest Fisher, The Good Soldier Ford Madox Ford, Deliverance Dickey, and Kidnapped Stevenson.

Last edited:
You are an interesting man Joe Brody. and you are correct the name of that hat company is "The Bounty Hunter" They make high dollar hats and till recently had the only native american master hatter in USA employed . He went on his own a couple years back.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
(1) For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway (the story about the importance of ideals and time's lack of importance)

(2) South by Sir Ernest Shakelton (the importance of doing a job and doing it right -- the utlimate lesson in responsiblity)

(3) On Writing by Stephen King (importance of nostalgia and personal history -- bundled as two-for-one with solid pointers on how to be a better writer). [On the personal history/nostalgia front my second choice would by Christmas Memory by Truman Capote]

(4) Orientalism by Edward Said (introduction to Foucualt and taught me the lesson that there is always more than one way to look at everything)

(5) On The Road by Jack Kerouac (since one Kerouac has already been taken. . . . Hard to put into words but it broadened my horizons and showed me that others have gone down the same road before me).

(6) Empire of the Senseless by Kathy Acker. Today, things are not linear or simple.

Others . . . .Crime & Punishment, Envisioning Information Tufte, A Theory of Interest Fisher, The Good Soldier Ford Madox Ford, Deliverance Dickey, and Kidnapped Stevenson.

An inspiring list, esp. as I am looking for some meat to grind my brain on, thank you for it, and it's reviews.

Joe Brody

Thanks Palehorse and Gladhatter.

Palehorse,

I'm pretty sure that I have an extra copy of South lying around. If so, and if you want, you can send me a PM with your address and I'll send it off to you. It's a great read and I think it would appeal to you.

As for On Writing, I'm seeing it on the bargain shelves in bookstores now and you should be able to get it for four or six bucks.

Deadlock

Guys, this has been very enlightening.

It has also given me a book list to come back to over the coming months (when time allows). Thanks for all your insights. (Thanks especially to the Raven Brain Trust: Pale Horse, Attila, and Joe Brody.) :)

Last edited:

Indyologist

Deadlock said:
<small>And... Slightly more than six. :)</small>

Oopsy. Sometimes I forget the forest for the trees.

Finn said:
[B>"You are the son of WHO? ...Yea, yea, right... be then! But walk elsewhere! You scare off the fish!"</small> [/B]

LOL!

gladhatter said:
Well let us not forget then myths, distortions, opinions, hysteria, haullinations, misinterptitations and last but not least truth.

In that case, hat, you've just eliminated all the books mentioned on this thread! Congratulations! :p

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Deadlock said:
Guys, this has been very enlightening.

It has also given me a book list to come back to over the coming months (when time allows). Thanks for all your insights. (Thanks especially to the Raven Brain Trust: Pale Horse, Attila, and Joe Brody.) :)

There are far bigger brains here than mine, but thanks for the nod

Paden

Bump

Guess I’ll take the plunge with Joe's suggestion to revive this worthy thread. My own list may not be all that compelling, but hopefully others will contribute theirs. It’s certainly a fascinating idea.

Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt (For differing reasons I can relate to aspects of McCourt’s story, though thankfully I never had to live through the kind of terrible circumstances he did. Really captures many aspects of the Irish culture/experience.)

Telling Lies for Fun and Profit by Lawrence Block (Outstanding and highly readable advice on the craft of writing by one of my all-time favorite crime authors.)

Neuromancer by William Gibson (A groundbreaking novel that successfully weaves together near-future technological prophecy and Dashiell Hammett style grit. It speaks to me when my inner cynicism rears its ugly head.)

The Devil and Sonny Liston by Nick Tosches (It appeals to my fascination with the sport of boxing, while reminding me to what depths our dark side can take us.)

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller (Besides evoking one of my favorite forms of music in the title, this is one of the most authentic books on Christian spirituality I’ve ever encountered. At points poignant and humorous and compelling throughout.)

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning (Captures the essence of the Christian message of grace like nothing else I’ve ever read.)

Sticking to only six volumes was quite the challenge. :p Here’s hoping that a few other members will take a shot at it. :)

roundshort

Six books, hmmmm . . . I have read the list and I see a lot of books about what people would like to be but really are . . .well I try to live up to my heros here . . .

The Oxford Companion to Wine, Jancis Robinson, the first and last word of wines fo the world. Read learn it live it!

Fellowship of Valor, A battle Histroy of the US Marines, Joe Alxendar and Don Horan< I think the title sums this book up.

Unrepentant Sinner, by Charles Askins, the way it was and still should be!

Survivor or Lullaby, by Chuck Palahniuk, fight club is too easy . . .

The Stupidest Angel, A heartwarming tale of Christmas Terror, by Christopher Moore, actually anything by Moore.

the last is a tie, Lance Armstong's It's not about the bike or Walt Disney, An American Original, by Bob Thomas (Disney would make Mach. run for the hills)

Temp, I want to see your books@!

Dang... you snatched my "Neuromancer"! LOL
I gotta count it too thought... I've read it about once a year since it came out...

"The Millennial Project" by Marshall T Savage
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/books/0316771635/glance/701-0118398-7539577#

"The Favorite Game" by Leonard Cohen
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...34368/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/701-7555686-2172307

"Smoke & Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...34484/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_2_4/701-7555686-2172307

"Bimbos Of The Death Sun" by Sharyn McCrumb
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...34648/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/701-7555686-2172307

And... ummm....

"WestViking" by Farley Mowat
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...34929/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/701-7555686-2172307

I guess.... Interesting question... I may think on it for a while, and come back and change my answers....

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
[*]Orthodoxy by G.K Chesterton (one of my hobbies;))

Kerry’s death was a blow, so was Jesse’s to a certain extent. And I have a great curiosity to know what queer corner of the world has swallowed Burne. Do you suppose he’s in prison under some false name? I confess that the war instead of making me orthodox, which is the correct reaction, has made me a passionate agnostic. The Catholic Church has had its wings clipped so often lately that its part was timidly negligible, and they haven’t any good writers any more. I’m sick of Chesterton.

---Excerpt from letter from Amory Blaine (signed Samuel Johnson) to Tom D’Invilliers (addressed as BAUDELAIRE)..
------ From F. Scott Fitzgerald's This side of Paradise (which I should have added at the end of my list of descriptive books)

roundshort

Dang, Joe, I think I have to add This side of Paradise as well! My borhter suggested that book to me, and it really had a huge impact.

I may have to sleep on my list a bit.