Describe yourself in six books or less

monkey

Great thread Deadlock!

Threads like this are why I come to the Raven.

Six books or less? Well, I'm going to have to think about that for a good while. And some of my selections will have to remain un-named since they would be waaaay politically incorrect.

But I can name one here and now: "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. Truly one of the greatest books ever written. What a magnificent novel, and a scathing expose of the evils of capitalism (which I HATE!).

Okay, here's an obvious choice........."The Illyad" by Homer (no, not Simpson...just Homer). In fact, I think that was like the FIRST book ever written, wasn't it?. And of course the 'sequel'.......the Odyssee.

By the way Deadlock, on a personal note, while I never read Karol Woltyla's book, maybe I should. Pope John Paul has always been one of my personal heroes. I am glad that you mention his book in your list.

OK, so I named 3 books.............plus one book that "shall not be named".

That makes 4...........I'll come back with two more later.

Once again.......great thread!!

Deadlock

Wow. It's amazing to see this thread back after so long. I think I need to revise my list though. Self-image is a fickle thing...

Joe Brody said:
From F. Scott Fitzgerald's This side of Paradise (which I should have added at the end of my list of descriptive books)

Never read it. And since I've already tackled one of the books from your list... Maybe it's Pale or Paden's turn. ;)

monkey said:
Okay, here's an obvious choice........."The Illyad" by Homer (no, not Simpson...just Homer). In fact, I think that was like the FIRST book ever written, wasn't it?. And of course the 'sequel'.......the Odyssee.

Yes, the Iliad and the Odyssey... Proof that sex and violence have been selling stories since the beginning of time. :)

For these two books, I really prefer the translations by Robert Fagles. And while I can't vouch for accuracy (as I read no Greek), they're a livelier read than some older translations.

monkey said:
By the way Deadlock, on a personal note, while I never read Karol Woltyla's book, maybe I should. Pope John Paul has always been one of my personal heroes. I am glad that you mention his book in your list.

Yes, Love and Responsibility is a heavy, philosophical read but very much worth it. What I find almost ironic about the book (considering the author), is that it's not really a spiritual book. It centers entirely on the philosophy of the human person.

One insight from the book that will always stick with me is that the opposite of love is not hate... it's use. Using someone is the opposite of loving them.

Something I need to get to in 2006 is Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl. I've heard that it's "the bomb".

But right now, I still have 4 out of 5 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books to finish. ;)

Last edited:

roundshort

When I hear a lot of people reading other peoples philosophy, I always think of Kevin Klines character from "A Fish Called Wanda," If I remember correctly he read a lot fo philosophy, which he was ver found of saying . . .

It seems Joe and I have a lot fo books in common, hmm . . .

Deadlock

roundshort said:
When I hear a lot of people reading other peoples philosophy, I always think of Kevin Klines character from "A Fish Called Wanda," If I remember correctly he read a lot fo philosophy, which he was ver found of saying . . .

Philosophy is just a way of looking at life. You'll find it everywhere.

roundshort said:
It seems Joe and I have a lot fo books in common, hmm . . .

Yes, I might be more intrigued if I didn't already have the answer to this riddle.

Paden

Deadlock said:
Never read it. And since I've already tackled one of the books from your list... Maybe it's Pale or Paden's turn. ;)
You know, I might just take up that challenge. Beyond a scholastically required reading of The Great Gatsby I have to confess that Fitzgerald is one of those authors that I've completely neglected. However, I just got my hands on another book I've long intended to read: Camus' The Stranger, which is going to be my selected reading material during a trip to Dallas later this week. Once that's done, I may give This Side of Paradise a try.
Deadlock said:
Yes, I might be more intrigued if I didn't already have the answer to this riddle.
Nothing like a little razor sharp wit to lighten the mood at work on a stressful Monday afternoon. :D

Deadlock

Paden said:
However, I just got my hands on another book I've long intended to read: Camus' The Stranger, which is going to be my selected reading material during a trip to Dallas later this week. Once that's done, I may give This Side of Paradise a try.

Ah, The Stranger. Don't forget the proper soundtrack: "Killing an Arab" (can I say that in 2006?) by The Cure.

EDIT: Oh, and Paden... I'd meant that I may be looking to read something from your's or Pale's lists.

Last edited:

IndyBuff

Paden said:
However, I just got my hands on another book I've long intended to read: Camus' The Stranger, which is going to be my selected reading material during a trip to Dallas later this week.

Be sure to tell us how it is; I read The Fall several years ago but I haven't had a chance to read The Stranger yet. I plan to get around to it one of these days.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
A revision:

"Two Concepts on Liberty," or if you want a book, <I>Liberty</I>, by Isaiah Berlin opened my eyes and gave clarity to things I'd somehow had in my head, about how concepts have multiple permutations, how all the goods and values in the world cannot be realized at once, and how choice is both what defines us and is the hardest thing we have to face. As Berlin wrote in another essay, "The Pursuit of the Ideal," "we are doomed to choose and every choice may entail an irreparable loss." Put me on the path to probably pursuing theory as a career. Everything that I think passes though the filter of Berlin these days.

<I>Uncle Vanya</I>, by Anton Chekhov, for my money the best work of drama ever, that reveals the true nature of our lives, as possessing tragedy and comedy in equal measure. Nothing really happens, but the characters are forced to recognize what their lives really are. I acted in this, as the alcoholic, guilt-ridden environmentalist and physician Dr. Astrov, and I don't think I've ever felt quite so painfully close to a character or to a piece. It doesn't get any better than this; don't listen to anyone who tells you that Chekhov is dreary, because when you do it right, it's not. Put me on the path to possibly pursuing theatre as a career.

<I>God: A Biography</I>, by Jack Miles, that attempts to consider the figure of God in the Tanakh (essentially what Christians know as the Old Testament, with the key difference that the prophets fall between the Torah [Pentatuach] and the writings) as a literary protagonist. The way this accounts for apparent changes in his character, from creator to warrior to law-giver, and perhaps even to fiend, as in the book of Job, before receding into the background in such books as Esther, Song of Songs, and Daniel. I've yet to find such an appealing portrait of God. The stuff on Job alone is worth the price of admission, and his retranslation of Job's final words as "word of you had reached my ears, but now that my eyes have seen you, I shudder with sorrow for mortal clay" as one of repudiation rather than repentance, is incredible. Put on the path to being able to reclaim religion as a part of my life. Every authority figure, even the divine ones, are somehow human.

<I>From Dawn to Decadence</I>, by Jacques Barzun, records the decline of Western civilization in the past 500 years. I'm not sure I agree with the thesis over that full span of time, since an awful lot has been created, particularly from the standpoint of cultural history, which is what Barzun specializes in, but that things haven't gotten richer, I cannot deny. Also, he has some fun with this, with peculiar quotes lodged into magazine style sidebars and his elevation of digression into an art. It's long, some 700 pages long, as I recall, but like any long novel, and this has the spirit of one sometimes, you get into it eventually. Magnificent and elegiac. Also, erudite. If only I were so erudite.

<I>Inherit the Wind</I>, by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee (not the). It's not great literature, by any means, but it's the first play I was in, some 5 years ago at this point, which certainly set made me more confident and on the path to needing some sort of limelight and acclaim. This is about how ideas are the most important things we have, and how life is about them, but that things still turn into a sideshow most of the time. People grow apart, people who seem like good guys are even more intolerant than the more apparent bigots (the film makes this point better than the original text), and the public is fickle. It's self-congratulatory intellectual and tolerant in a way that really means it often isn't, and I hate when I'm that way. But, the thread asks for me to describe myself through the books, and this does do that.

Also, the first 5? They're all about loss.

So, one supposes, is the last, in an odd way. It's <I>Around the World in 80 Days</I>, by Jules Verne, written at the last possible moment at which it could be done primarily by travel across the Commonwealth and at which it would have been an impressive feat, before technology advanced farther. It, too, is an elegy of sorts, in this sense, and it's ridiculous that Fogg never actually gets to see anything while he's making his trip, but then, of course, that's part of the point. When I was younger though, that wasn't what I was thinking about. I was thinking about the world and how cool all the different places were, and later I'd think about how classy and unflappable and just plain cool Fogg is, especially when David Niven plays him in the movie. The real book I fell for, part and parcel not merely of my connection to the written word (oh, how that's collapsed over the past years) but of my interest in culture. It really is a great book.

We are pleased to inform The Raven that Herr Gruber was found swinging at 11.35am. He will be remembered. Actually, maybe not.

Joe Brody

Three Good Books For Young Readers

The Last Resort by Roberto Innocenti (check out the annotations at the end).

The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and illustrations by Christopher Bing.

Operation Red Jericho by Joshua Mowll.

I think the books that lead us to read at a higher level are just as important as the books at the higher level.

Letters

Can't get enough of your favorite writer? I've found that tracking down a book of the writer's personal letters is often worthwhile.

For example, I keep an old dog-eared copy of Ernest Hemingways Selected Letters 1917-1961 in my car for quick reads (like when I'm in the Doctor's office or stuck in a line). Reading Hemingway's correspondence in '39 in Havana and Key West while writing For Whom The Bell Tolls is fascinating. (not to mention his correspondence with, and thoughts on, other famous people -- like Hem's respect for F. Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night, which is interesting given how much he despised F. Scott).

Speaking of Fitzgerald, another favorite is Dear Scott, Dearest Zelda, The Love Letters of F. Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald.. Talk about giving insight into some people's tortured lives. . .

Biography

I've been meaning to start of a thread on one of my favorite auto-biographies -- Tom Hayden's Reunion, which gives an excellent window into the late sixties and the Chicago 7 trial. For me, Hayden embodied an age and his book really tells the story. There's a great photo in the book of Hayden in Chicago during the demonstrations -- he's elevated (like on a bench) with a microphone in his hand, Dick Gregory is slightly behind him leaning against a tree. Below and in front of Hayden is a guy with megaphone on his head. It's a great visual and I hope it makes into Spielberg's film.

IndySeven

Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker
The Bible
Around the World in 80 Days
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Splinter of the Mind's Eye

:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Should I revise this list?

Pale Horse said:
Common Sense: Thomas Paine
Self Reliance: Ralph Emerson
Civil Disobedience: Henry Thoreau
Light and Liberty: Thomas Jefferson
Bushido-The Way of the Samurai: Tsunetomo Yamamoto
The Art of War: Sun Tzu

Perhaps. I will give it some consideration.

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Me thinks we might see some books by Dr. Spock . . .

Um, I don't think so, :p

You Star Trek fans are all alike...

(Trust me when I say I know what Spock you meant.)

Jr. may dominate my free time right now, but he doesn't define it. I couldn't be a good daddy to him if he did.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Maybe some toning down of the classical individualist liberal set, then? That's what I suspected might have changed...there's been a marriage in the interval too, after all.

Six books OR less...

Well then I'll only name one. It may be a cliche but I truly consider it my sacred text.

Catcher in the Rye.

I've gotten to the point where I no longer read it. I now just read passages, things that seem relevant at any given time.

I think today I'll read the passage where Holden tries to talk Sally into running off with him. It seems appropriate right now.

Attila the Professor said:
What's your take on <I>Catcher in the Rye</I>? I feel like there are those who try to take it at face value and miss the entire point.

My take on it? Holden's a pathetic, greedy, miserable bastard.

And he's too much like me. It scares the hell out of me. I'm a madman, I mean it. ;)

Everyone associates with Holden because it's fashionable to be angst-ridden. But really, Holden is desperate to find someone to catch him, to hold him up. I hate how everyone always brushes Mr. Antolini off as some pervert. Antolini is one of the few sensible characters in the whole novel. And actually, the last time I read it, I came to see not only him as the Catcher (as I've felt for some time), but nearly everyone in the book has the desire, or makes some attempt to catch him. Even Maurice in his own way tries to set Holden straight.

I've had many similar incidents to Holden. I screwed up my right hand in exactly the same way that he did. And often I find that I take myself down the same path that he did. That's why I need it so much. It centers me, it catches me from making all those mistakes.

I must sound awfully pathetic, but I believe in acknowledging my faults. Or I try to. Too often I've messed up and been too proud to admit it. The bit with Sally being particularly pertinent right now...

Does that satisfy your question?