Competition Dioramas

inky_skin

Montana Smith said:
DSCN3727.jpg

Wow. I wish I'd had that pic a few weeks ago - would have saved me sitting in front of a paused DVD making notes. Is the book "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives" or ""Star Wars" Archives: Props, Costumes, Models and Artworks from "Star Wars"" ? They both seem cheap on Amazon - but if they have such good Indy model shots I need to get them both !

inky_skin

Finally found my ToD figs. There is some trickery going on here - I had to bifurcate Willie in order to get the three of them in the minecart...

mine_dio2-1.jpg

Montana Smith

inky_skin said:
Wow. I wish I'd had that pic a few weeks ago - would have saved me sitting in front of a paused DVD making notes. Is the book "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives" or ""Star Wars" Archives: Props, Costumes, Models and Artworks from "Star Wars"" ? They both seem cheap on Amazon - but if they have such good Indy model shots I need to get them both !

Inky, it's The Star Wars Archives: Props, Costumes, Models and Artwork from Star Wars, by Mark Cotta Vaz & Shinji Hata. A really nice book with great photos for reference. It's 208 pages long, of which 77 pages are on Indy.

I don't know about the other book you mention.

Note that the mine car is pretty much rusty all over, and there are two brake levers, which are probably hard to see on film as the scenes move so fast, and it's in a dark tunnel!

inky_skin

Montana Smith said:
Inky, it's The Star Wars Archives: Props, Costumes, Models and Artwork from Star Wars, by Mark Cotta Vaz & Shinji Hata. A really nice book with great photos for reference. It's 208 pages long, of which 77 pages are on Indy.

I don't know about the other book you mention.

Note that the mine car is pretty much rusty all over, and there are two brake levers, which are probably hard to see on film as the scenes move so fast, and it's in a dark tunnel!

Thanks for the info Montana. Weird that there are two brake levers on the miniature - they definately aren't present on the full-scale version. The position of the levers differ between the hero / villian carts - the one Indy and the others ride in has it's brake front/right, whereas the lead Thuggee cart has theirs front/left. Wonder if the miniature was designed to be dressed as both carts in different scenes (ie, removable parts) ? Doesn't make sense that it would actually have two brakes - otherwise they would've stopped it without Indy's heroics...

Montana Smith

inky_skin said:
Thanks for the info Montana. Weird that there are two brake levers on the miniature - they definately aren't present on the full-scale version. The position of the levers differ between the hero / villian carts - the one Indy and the others ride in has it's brake front/right, whereas the lead Thuggee cart has theirs front/left. Wonder if the miniature was designed to be dressed as both carts in different scenes (ie, removable parts) ? Doesn't make sense that it would actually have two brakes - otherwise they would've stopped it without Indy's heroics...

That's true, the levers are probably removable. It might also be something to do with enabling them to flip the film?

Luke Sprywalker

Wow! Nice work VF. That looks like a big layout. Man look at all that dirt!

Inky that looks fabulous with the figures in there! and right you are my friend...I made the Raven...well part of it.

"I need a piece your father collected"

DSC_0010-13.jpg

DSC_0009-16.jpg

DSC_0011-16.jpg

"We are not tirsty"

DSC_0004-16.jpg

DSC_0007-18.jpg

DSC_0012-10.jpg

DSC_0014-9.jpg

DSC_0017-8.jpg

DSC_0018-8.jpg

DSC_0019-8.jpg

DSC_0020-8.jpg

DSC_0021-6.jpg

DSC_0022-5.jpg

DSC_0023-5.jpg

Lao Che Pun

inky_skin said:
Finally found my ToD figs. There is some trickery going on here - I had to bifurcate Willie in order to get the three of them in the minecart...

mine_dio2-1.jpg

The phrase "bifurcate Willie" sounds awesome, FYI. ;)

inky_skin

Sprywalker - I really admire the scope of your vision and your excellent fabrication skills. 2-in-1 dio - awesome !

Col Dietrich - You've really captured the atmosphere of that scene with some great action shots (plus it's one of my favourite sequences in the whole trilogy - and you've done it justice).

vf wing - that's some major earthworks there. I really wish I had the space - and your storytelling chops.

Let's hope we get some more entries before the deadline !

Luke Sprywalker

To answer a few questions, the walls, floor and steps are made from styrofoam then coated with 2-3 layers of watered down joint compound. The flames are indeed hot glue that was painted with stained glass paint. The sad part is there was going to be a bit more to mine. I burned up 4 hot glue sticks making this cool flaming back wall on a piece of tin foil but it was stuck to the foil when it cooled. I had also wraped the upper level banister in foil and made the flames but it too failed. I was going to put a book light behind it for the final pics.

Next time I might try spraying the foil with pam and try a small section.

Lance, where are you?:whip:

hemble

Hi All

I to hope there will be more entries. The deadline is at midnight 28th Feb and don't forget to email me at hemble@optusnet.com.au with your votes.

And when sending your noms don't for get to to it this way please.

eg 1-hemble = 5pts
2-Sprywalker = 3pts
3-Montana Smith 1pt

Ron

Lance Quazar

Hemble,

I forgot to tell you that I'm vacationing in Hawaii at the moment. Therefore, I am not 17 minutes too late, but rather 1:43 minutes too early.

That said, here is the first image of my Museum dio. More to come...

Museum1.jpg

:)