Ancient aliens

Goonie

Stoo said:
The first time was because we drove by von Daniken's (now-defunct) theme park near Interlaken, Switzerland. I know a couple who went to it a few years ago and they said it was a terrible waste of time & money.

I guess no one told Daniken that a proper laser show requires Pink Floyd music! (and the contents of that brief case Johnny Depp had at the beginning of Fear and Loathing) ;) No wonder this place failed. Just watch the video:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mdOGt3TvHsY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mdOGt3TvHsY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:eek: :rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
So, like...I'm on a road trip, eh? Travelling with my girlfriend & a friend of hers, guess which conversation has come up twice already in the past 3 days? ANCIENT ALIENS! The first time was because we drove by von Daniken's (now-defunct) theme park near Interlaken, Switzerland. I know a couple who went to it a few years ago and they said it was a terrible waste of time & money. No wonder it failed and closed down but all the buildings/structures are still standing. The 2nd conversation came from out of the blue and it wasn't me who started it!

Just felt like telling y'all how the aliens are following me around...:p

(Written from a hotel room in Rome!)

Well, of all the subjects to come up on your Roman Holiday!

I didn't know Daeniken had his own theme park. I can almost smell the Swiss cheese from here!

:hat:

Gabeed

Woohoo! Why bother with silly things like museums when you can learn everything you need to know about history and archaeology from Von Daniken's amusement park? Also, if you read the Wikipedia article for "Mystery Park," it states that upon its opening a Swiss scientist labelled the park as a "cultural Chernobyl." Hilarious.

Paden

The problem with subjects like this, where people hold exceedingly strong beliefs either for or against, is that discussions involving them can rapidly degenerate into a serious of nasty personal attacks. Thank goodness nothing like that happened here. ;)

Montana Smith

Paden said:
The problem with subjects like this, where people hold exceedingly strong beliefs either for or against, is that discussions involving them can rapidly degenerate into a serious of nasty personal attacks. Thank goodness nothing like that happened here. ;)

Most of the blood stains came out of the carpet, so you'd barely know anything happened. ;)

Gabeed

Paden said:

I think belief is the key word there. Matt's personal beliefs and encounters may be suspect but are unassailable. I could care less if he went to Egypt or not, or disappeared for awhile in grade school or not. The problem is that he wavered back and forth between attempting to rationalize ancient aliens through thorough scientific means, while showing utter disregard for such means and contexts and labeling them dogmatic. While the existence of aliens is unknown but not impossible, the evidence of ancient aliens and their influences on ancient civilizations seems to be complete fabrication, as acknowledged by the overwhelming majority of the scientific community.

Paden

Finn said:
ResidentAlien and Matt deMille both spend seven days in a cooler figuring out how not to rile other people and how not to get riled.
Question for the mods: Is the "cooler" a private board where those that have lost their privileges hang out until they're reinstated? If such a place doesn't exist, I would encourage the management to create one. That way, those that have been disciplined could spend their time outside of "general population" constructively, by posting back and forth to each other and learning how to interact in positive and polite way. A learning experience, if you will. Plus, after the suspendees are allowed back on the regular tables, the "cooler" threads could be published in the Open Discussion area, so that the rest of the membership could learn from (and be amused by) whatever discussions transpired there.

Just a suggestion. ;)

Paden said:
Question for the mods: Is the "cooler" a private board where those that have lost their privileges hang out until they're reinstated? If such a place doesn't exist, I would encourage the management to create one. That way, those that have been disciplined could spend their time outside of "general population" constructively, by posting back and forth to each other and learning how to interact in positive and polite way. A learning experience, if you will. Plus, after the suspendees are allowed back on the regular tables, the "cooler" threads could be published in the Open Discussion area, so that the rest of the membership could learn from (and be amused by) whatever discussions transpired there.

Just a suggestion. ;)

Hmmm...a cage match!

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
Lol. Unsurprisingly this topic hasn't gone anywhere in the last week...

Without mad ravings, this topic was bound to shrivel up.
Atta boy, RA...

Keep this up and some extra cooler time can easily be arranged. If the other party is courteous enough to stay silent, you might even have to make do without the company.

Finn said:
Atta boy, RA...

Keep this up and some extra cooler time can easily be arranged. If the other party is courteous enough to stay silent, you might even have to make do without the company.

Now what have I said, eh? Stated an observation so far.

The fact that this topic hasn't gone anywhere speaks volumes, I dare say.

Gabeed

I was actually hoping that Indy's Brother, and/or whoever else supports ancient alien theories or is "open minded" besides Matt, would've brought up a topic to discuss, or would comment on our ongoing Great Pyramid discussion. It would've been interesting to see what they would have to say about what I, or perhaps more importantly, Lambonus had to say against Matt's "Great Pyramid is not a tomb" statements. Since Indy's Brother in particular merely put down some mysteries for discussion rather than starting with aggressive assertions like "what the mainstream accepts is a rigged game," I have a feeling it could've been a rather cordial discussion.

Indy's brother

Thanks Gabeed. Like others to this doomed thread, I am inexplicably drawn like a moth to the flame war. However, I see the irreversibly damaged goods that this topic has become. As much as I would really enjoy a serious thread about the ancient alien theories that are out there, I have opted to stay out of the debate.

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
Now what have I said, eh? Stated an observation so far.
Feel free to disagree with the guy, but using words like "mad ravings" (no matter how fittingly descriptive) are pretty much a call to pick up exactly where you left off.

Matt deMille

Indy's brother said:
Thanks Gabeed. Like others to this doomed thread, I am inexplicably drawn like a moth to the flame war. However, I see the irreversibly damaged goods that this topic has become. As much as I would really enjoy a serious thread about the ancient alien theories that are out there, I have opted to stay out of the debate.

I agree. "Irreversibly damaged goods" is a good way to describe this thread. I have stated my theories, opinions, ideas and such, and they are here for others to consider. That's all I ever really wanted in the first place. I'm always up for discussing the topic through private contact, but I think, like Indy's Brother, I'm just going to step away from this thread, lest it just ignite more flames. If the thread gets going again in a good direction, someone please let me know and I'll be happy to return.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
using words like "mad ravings" (no matter how fittingly descriptive)

"Fourth wall! You're breaking the fourth wall!" (Chris, Family Guy)

Matt deMille said:
I agree. "Irreversibly damaged goods" is a good way to describe this thread.

It was from the start, since the thread began as the assertion of a reality, rather than a theory. That's an insurmountable issue, because you believe what you saw, and you have no way of proving it to others. Opponents would have to suspend their disbelief for the thread to continue.

Matt deMille said:
I have stated my theories, opinions, ideas and such, and they are here for others to consider. That's all I ever really wanted in the first place.

The only way a thread like could work is if everyone involved only stated "theories, opinions, ideas". As soon as the element of reality or truth emerges, it kills all other theories, and that was the case before the thread began.

Matt deMille said:
I'm always up for discussing the topic through private contact, but I think, like Indy's Brother, I'm just going to step away from this thread, lest it just ignite more flames. If the thread gets going again in a good direction, someone please let me know and I'll be happy to return.

If it's 'don't call us, we'll call you', then this thread will likely remain quiet. However, a thread where people posted historical and geographical oddities for open discussion might have a more constructive life. As long as it remains in the realm of ideas no one should take offence. Yet, as soon as the case for alternative reality is pressed, it's bound to upset some people.

Paden

Montana Smith said:
Yet, as soon as the case for alternative reality is pressed, it's bound to upset some people.
fteykiw.jpg

Matt deMille

Montana Smith said:
A thread where people posted historical and geographical oddities for open discussion might have a more constructive life. As long as it remains in the realm of ideas no one should take offence. Yet, as soon as the case for alternative reality is pressed, it's bound to upset some people.

I like that. Well, let's see if that can salvage things, then. Since a lot of this thread seemed bent toward the Great Pyramid, let's revisit one thing that nobody seemed to have answered to anyone's satisfaction (if I recall right). I'm referring to the copper fittings at the end of the 8" shaft discovered by robot-cam in 1993. Anybody got any ideas on what those might be?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=1&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&biw=1024&bih=572

My own opinion is they were conductors of something, as if the 8" shaft was a conduit or pipeline for ancient technology long since removed. I believe this is one of the greater mysteries of the Giza site. I'd certainly like to hear if any traditional Egyptology has an answer on this one.

Thoughts?