Ancient aliens

Montana Smith

And here's a mainstream view of the Pyramid of Khufu at Giza:

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/greatpyramid3.htm

It shows where the copper fittings were, and a copper 'hook'. The view on this page is that they were magical hieroglyphic signs, rather than handles. They say the shafts could be model corridors for the king's soul to travel through.

Still sounds like a shot in the dark, though. Nothing really substantial to end the mystery.

Last edited:

Paden

Matt deMille said:
I would love to see what this finds. Whatever it may be. The thought of "something" being beyond that doors is a nagging one to say the least. Like an unwrapped Christmas present, even if it only turns out to be socks and underwear.
It's definitely intriguing and one can't help but let their imagination wander about what might be found beyond those obstacles. I think the inner adventurer in all of us hopes it's something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KV62

As opposed to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone%27s_Vault

Matt deMille

I'd actually hope it's something not-so-spectacular. Truly. Egypt tends to hold the public's imagination when it comes to the ancient world, but there's so much else worldwide that holds possibilities which we should be looking hard at. Furthermore, Egypt being more or less the Middle-east, were some revelation found there, it could stir up a lot of religious violence. Although I believe the Giza monuments are the work of a far more ancient civilization than we realize (be it terrestrial or extra-terrestrial, and I still hold to the latter), it'd be nice if we looked further afield. Something I've said numerous times, is that we have to see a larger, more comprehensive picture.

For example, the sunken monuments off coastlines all around the world, thus evidence of civilizations pre-dating the ending of the last ice Age, a time when conventional history says humankind were mere cave-dwellers.

Gabeed said:
Surely the dogmatic, hidebound mainstream labels such a wondrous, mysterious device a fake. ;)

I'd say that's a safe bet. Or better still, time-traveling inter-dimensional aliens really are the ones that gave humans the ability to make it. I'd say that's a likely supposition.

Montana Smith

ResidentAlien said:
I'd say that's a safe bet. Or better still, time-traveling inter-dimensional aliens really are the ones that gave humans the ability to make it. I'd say that's a likely supposition.

Yeah, we have to give us humans a little credit. Of all the animal kingdom only the wonderous mind of man could conceive of aliens or of gods. ;)

Clever buggers those Greeks. Homer knew a thing or two about robotic tripods, too...

Yure

Gabeed said:
Surely the dogmatic, hidebound mainstream labels such a wondrous, mysterious device a fake. ;)

No, the dogmatic labels had the opportunity to study in depth the artifact and showed it is, yet product of genius, compatible with the culture and the science of its time, particulary due to the fact that they had more than sufficient skills with metals, that mechanical mechanism were indeed built at those times, that it is compatible with their astronomycal knowledg, and that they were as advanced in math as they pratically discovered 80% of the math basis we know about today.

Gabeed

If I recall correctly, this particular mechanism possibly was made in Syracuse, by the successors of Archimedes. Given Archimedes' talent for making incredible machines, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Yure said:
No, the dogmatic labels had the opportunity to study in depth the artifact and showed it is, yet product of genius, compatible with the culture and the science of its time, particulary due to the fact that they had more than sufficient skills with metals, that mechanical mechanism were indeed built at those times, that it is compatible with their astronomycal knowledg, and that they were as advanced in math as they pratically discovered 80% of the math basis we know about today.

Sarcasm, Yure. ;)

Yure

Gabeed said:
If I recall correctly, this particular mechanism possibly was made in Syracuse, by the successors of Archimedes. Given Archimedes' talent for making incredible machines, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Yup! It is speculated that this mechanism can be Archimedes' planetarium Cicero wrote about.

Matt deMille

Well, to those who actually could stomach the above cheap-shot attempts, I'll set the record straight:

I never said this ancient Greek device was of alien origins. Some of the above posters are just trying to lump things together to make themselves believe they have a point. The ancient Greek device is an enigma, yes. So are a lot of things in ancient times. Because aliens had in a hand in some ancient things doesn't mean they did in all of them. Maybe some ancient alien believers say that, but myself, and the serious researchers do not. I could just as easily say that all people who go to church believe you should kill your wife if she's unfaithful, because a crazy few do (as does the Bible, for that matter). Or, I could just as easily say that all mathematicians still believe the locomotive will kill all its passengers if it exceeds 35mph because a Russian mathematician said so in the 19th century.

This new revelation about this device should be in a different thread, guys, and you know it. Placing it here, exploiting it with a thinly-veiled attempt at discrediting ancient alien discussion just reveals how really fragile your egos are, trying to mock one thread rather than contribute positively to another. If you really cared about science, you'd start a new thread about this, rather than exploiting it to try and get your schoolyard kicks in this one. If you're so right, and so scientific, such a revelation as this should simply be the seed of a new thread, and you wouldn't have any need to fan the flames with some "UFO nut" like me, whom you should be able to dismiss and ignore. That you seem to have to stir things up rather than take the scientific approach only reveals your true motives.

So, for others, setting the record straight: Ancient alien research does not involve this relic, nor the Baghdad Battery, nor any other such singular examples of ancient technology. The simple-minded connection of ancient-technology-must-be-alien is what skeptics like to focus on, rather than the objectivity of the actual research, which focuses on purpose, the inability of humankind to achieve, or the records kept in relation thereto. The Greeks were known to be damn good with numbers. It's reasonable to assume they could have built such a device. But when we find entire cities built with 200-ton stone blocks of relatively small size to defy movement and whose collection defies any cultural reasoning to the extent of their use, we have to consider that some external influence is at work. Especially when those ancient sources site their knowledge being given to them by visitors from the sky.

There. I've said my peace and further flaming won't get a reaction, so don't waste your effort. If there's genuine questions, I'll address those.

Gabeed

Eons of peace and quiet . . .and then BAM. Suddenly this thread turns into Mt. St. Helens again. :D

I, for one, never claimed that Matt said that this had anything to do with ancient aliens. It does go against his calling mainstream archaeology utterly dogmatic, though. It's a perfect case of an extraordinary find that despite a curious and mysterious nature was not deemed a fraud. If the evidence is there, the mainstream gives it its due time and thought.

To set the record straight, no one said YOU said ANYTHING...wow ego!
Matt deMille said:
This new revelation about this device should be in a different thread, guys, and you know it. Placing it here, exploiting it with a thinly-veiled attempt at discrediting ancient alien discussion just reveals how really fragile your egos are, trying to mock one thread rather than contribute positively to another.

It tells me ancient alien proponents should try reading the article instead of burning it!

Metaphorically speaking of course!

In case you missed it:
The complexity of the mechanism shows that ancient humans were capable of intellectual and engineering feats that boggle our modern minds (and it puts the lie to all those "ancient astronaut" theories).

I'd say it fits this thread quite well...

Matt deMille

Gabeed said:
Eons of peace and quiet . . .and then BAM. Suddenly this thread turns into Mt. St. Helens again. :D

I, for one, never claimed that you said that this had anything to do with ancient aliens. It does go against you calling mainstream archaeology utterly dogmatic, though. It's a perfect case of an extraordinary find that despite a curious and mysterious nature was not deemed a fraud. If the evidence is there, the mainstream will follow it.

Thank you, Gabeed. I understand your position. Allow me, then, to clarify my own;

While you may not have claimed this had anything to do with ancient aliens, its very placement in the ancient-alien thread puts it in that context, and unless specifying to the contrary, jumping on that bandwagon suggests that one agrees with that placement. It is no different than ancient alien researchers being lumped in with some crazy theory proposed by some crackpot.

It seems you do see it differently, thus we have specification, and that is good. If the "lost a wheel" part had been left out and the initial post prefaced with how this isn't intended to raise flames (given the past between some of us) and is set out there purely as an example of how speculation about ancient technology can be seen different ways, that would have been fine and had a proper place. But when it starts with "The ancient alien theory lost a wheel", well, wouldn't you agree that is pretty tacky, trying to start flames, or at least out of place?

Gabeed

Rocket Surgeon said:
Do you suspect some external influence is at work?
Surely man could not have constructed such an elaborate design.

And, no, Matt, I wouldn't call this tacky. Re-read Rocket's post #452.