Anything else to add on the Indy's Influences section?

jonesissparrow

Here's some suggestions:

Inflences page:

Uncle Scrooge McDuck comic books - because George Lucas and Spielberg were both fans and some of the influences can be seen in the movies.

Tintin comics - Spielberg says he was a fan of the stories.

Classic Adventures page:

The Master of Ballatrae (1953) - an Errol Flynn film about war and piracy. Its about two brothers who involved in a 1748 dispute in Scotland about putting the Scottish king onto the throne. When things go ill the two brothers dispute, and Errol Flynn's character Jamie escapes the clutches of the British army and joins a band of pirates. Its a good movie and I thought some small details of Indiana were in it. The fact that Errol Flynn was indestructabl,e he was stabbed and shot at and still lived much like how Indiana escapes death barely. His companion Burke is much like Sallah, a big lout who's helpful in a way.Also Jamie like Indy has a questionable past. Here's another interesting tidbit there is a fireplace in the film that leads to a secret passageway much like the fireplace in the LAST CRUSADE.

Around the World in 80 days (1956)- Interesting to note that this movie has a bit about the Thuggees in India much like in Temple of Doom.

Indy's Legacy:

The Great Mouse Detective (1986) - Despite its being a Disney cartoon it has qualities that is unlike a Disney cartoon. I've notice some of the action sequences has a bit of a cliffhanger serial about it like the Indy films like Basil and Dawson are trapped in Ratigan's deathtrap.

kongisking

The original Mark of Zorro, maybe? I mean, they both use whips. :whip: (But that was always there, before the movie...)

Or perhaps the scene in SON OF KONG where Denham, Kiko and Helga find that temple with the diamonds and when they take them an earthquake appears. That is REEEEEEALLY stretching it, I know. :rolleyes:

jonesissparrow

kongisking said:
The original Mark of Zorro, maybe? I mean, they both use whips. :whip: (But that was always there, before the movie...)

Or perhaps the scene in SON OF KONG where Denham, Kiko and Helga find that temple with the diamonds and when they take them an earthquake appears. That is REEEEEEALLY stretching it, I know. :rolleyes:

Well in the influences section, it mentions two Zorro serials, Zorro and the fighting legion and Zorro Rides Again. It mentions alot of similarities of the serials and the Indy films, like the whip you mentioned, also it mentions Zorro jumping off a horse onto a truck much like Indy does in RAIDERS.

Avilos

Uncle Scrooge McDuck comic books

I think these are one of the biggest influences of all. Much more than people realize.

Also I think it has grown stronger over the years. The fact that Indy's family, like Scrooge's, are involved in his adventures and are often a irritation to him started in Last Crusade....and if rumors are true seems. to continue even stronger in KotCS

otto rahn

Good point. it's a while since I read a Scrooge McDuck comic but he certainly discovered some weird and wonderous artifacts in his time. Including in one comic, a golden viking helmet that "proved" that the vikings had discovered America before Columbus ! Much of it can be put down to the brilliant writer who penned many of Scrooge's adventures; Carl Barks !

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
Isn't Duck Tales already on the influences page?
There's a feature for Duck Tales the Movie, but what we really need is one for the comics. They pack some nifty references.

hdlarkcf0.png

Finn said:
There's a feature for Duck Tales the Movie, but what we really need is one for the comics. They pack some nifty references.

hdlarkcf0.png

Now will someone kindly post the next frame where they all melt? ;)

I actually was not aware that Duck Tales was a comic before it was a tv show/film. Learn something new every day.

On a side note... the Duck Tales games for the NES rock my life.

Junior Jones

Finn: Which Rosa story is that picture from? I don't remember seeing it before. Either I missed it, or it hasn't been published in the US yet.

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
I actually was not aware that Duck Tales was a comic before it was a tv show/film. Learn something new every day.
You GOTTA be kidding me.

Junior Jones said:
Finn: Which Rosa story is that picture from? I don't remember seeing it before. Either I missed it, or it hasn't been published in the US yet.
A Letter from Home.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
More pics of the same story:

aku1.jpg

aku2.jpg

I can provide better pics if wished but I need to rescan it first, don't have the masters any more.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:

Well, most of them are billed as Uncle Scrooge Adventures - most of them, the Carl Barks anyhow, predate Duck Tales, and are superior, albeit without a theme song.

Stoo

Hey, VP, I remember when you posted a picture of the rolling boulder page
in the thread below but it is now gone. There are still some other Scrooge
scans remaining if people are interested:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=7629&highlight=Carl+Barks

As for more to add to the Influences section? Heck, yes! A few of the films
included in the list are quite dubious while some very important, influential
titles are missing.:eek: I would be willing to review them if it is so desired...

Ska

More influences and legacies...

References to IJ
South Park (TV show): Free Hat
In this episode - inspired by Kyle's comment on Ted Koppel's Nightline that changing E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial would be like changing Raiders of the Lost Ark - George Lucas and Steven Spielberg decide to alter the first Indiana Jones film. Soon after the episode aired, Lucas and Spielberg announced that contrary to rumors they would not be altering Raiders of the Lost Ark for DVD release. Parker and Stone jokingly suggested that the episode prevented any alterations from happening.
Magnum P.I. (TV show): Legend of the Lost Art
Higgins wants Magnum to find the "Lost Art of the Ancients", a priceless ancient scroll from a fallen civilization, that could spell disaster if it should ever fall into the wrong hands. But the search for the long-lost artifact is laced with abduction, danger and deceit, as an old flame of Magnum's, a foreign double agent, and a ruthless rival of Higgins' are all out to find the scroll as well, and the dangerous path to unearthing it could ultimately lead to death.

IJ Legacy
Bloodstone (1988)
t25610qc6a3.jpg

Congo (1995)
Congo4093.jpg

The Da Vinci Treasure (2006)
Firewalker (1986)
Relic Hunter (TV series 1990's)

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
Hey, VP, I remember when you posted a picture of the rolling boulder page in the thread below but it is now gone.
Yeah the whole site which had it is gone, but I can scan that one too. All in Finnish of course. ;)

Stoo

SKAbatula said:
The SKAbatula Man Returns! Great to have you back and to see that
you're still a champion of the "keep-the-artifact-from-the-bad-guy"
genre of movies (as you once put it)!(y)

That episode of "South Park" is hysterical and I nearly bust my gut when
Indy was being chased by the Ewoks. A must-see for "Raiders" fans.

VP said:
Yeah the whole site which had it is gone, but I can scan that one too. All in Finnish of course. ;)
That's O.K. It's a good one and I should have saved it when I had
the chance. If you could scan it I, for one, would appreciate it.:)

jonesissparrow

Great Mouse Detective!

If you look closely I think there are some Indy references like the detective being chased by a toy wheel like the boulder in RAIDERS:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Arg41tzqogo

Also Ratigan, the villian has mind of Belloq, a physique of Mola Ram, and aggressive fighting skills of the big German Indy fights in Raiders.

Ska

Stoo said:
The SKAbatula Man Returns! Great to have you back and to see that
you're still a champion of the "keep-the-artifact-from-the-bad-guy"
genre of movies (as you once put it)!(y)

What's up, Stoo?! Yeah it's been a while since I've posted. Since I've gotten married, we haven't had the internet at our apartment. And unfortuneately, around the same time, I lost my net privileges at work (I was in the middle of the room and everyone could see what was on my screen...too many visits to The Raven).

Well we're still in the same damn apartment...with no internet. But I recently got a promotion at work...and it came with my own office. So I requested that my internet be turned back on.

So to make a long story short (ok so three paragraphs later, let's call it "not too long"), I will be visiting more often.

Back on topic, who do we have to ask to review movies? Between Stoo and myself, we've probably seen or own just about every single Indy influence and legacy. And I see he's interested in reviewing some for the Raider...as am I. I personally could add approx. 30 more movies to the list.

I'm a huge fan of the genre (thanks for the reminder, Stoo!) and would love to see this section blossom to it's full potential. Plus, I'm sure there's plenty of Indy-like movies that I haven't seen or even know about. And that is not good...I need them all!!!! Muhawahahahaha!

So, uh, yeah...let's get the ball rolling (no pun intended...aw, hell, yes it was).

:D

HistoryAddict

A reverse influence?

I always pictured Harrison Ford as the character Northwest Smith (from the old CL Moore books), I guess because the character seems like a cross between Indiana Jones and Han Solo. (He even wears leathers!) I wonder how much those stories influenced the creation of Dr Jones? and maybe even Han Solo?

otto rahn

HistoryAddict said:
I always pictured Harrison Ford as the character Northwest Smith (from the old CL Moore books), I guess because the character seems like a cross between Indiana Jones and Han Solo. (He even wears leathers!) I wonder how much those stories influenced the creation of Dr Jones? and maybe even Han Solo?
Interesting thought. Now there is a series of stories I wouldn't mind seing turned into films. Of course, with a hero named "Northwest Smith", people these days would think that it was an "Indiana Jones" pastiche. Pity, because Moore's work predates Indiana Jones by a fair way !