Area 51 - am I the only one who likes this idea?

commontone

I see so much "oh God, I hope they don't go to Area 51 and have aliens in Indy 4", yet the idea excites me.

Aliens less so, but Area 51 seems perfect; all the conspiracy rumors surrounding it give it that kind of pulpy, shadowy-government feeling that Indy films have mined before (the "top men" quote, the warehouse of forgotten government acquisitions at the end of Raiders, etc.). It fits perfectly into that motif. And it has a vaguely supernatural/mystical association to it--not necessarily due to its supposed connections to aliens and UFOs, but that it's been a secret test site for military technology. It has contained things that, while earthly, are *not meant* for the ordinary Joe to know about. And in movie-making terms, it has tremendous potential for great action scenes and that Spielbergian "magic."

I don't want Indy to face off with an alien in a fight, or fly a UFO, or any such outrageous stunt. But having them in the storyline is fine with me. We can debate endlessly the merits of the Ark being an alien communication device, or any of the other rumors out there. But really, how is having an alien race involved in the film, intrinsically so much more outrageous than a knight from the Crusades who is hundreds of years old, having sustained himself with the Holy Grail? Or magical rocks that bring life and fertility to a village? Actually (and I don't take one position or the other on the topic), in terms of supposed "evidence" the idea of aliens or UFOs is far and away more plausible than either of those ideas. It's been in the public consciousness for 60+ years now.

My basic point is that aliens could be involved in the story in a very tasteful way, that fits in with the Indy universe. It's totally possible. And if it's done well, it could be great.

Last edited:

Kingsley

Area 51 is a place that in our imaginery could hide anything the world "must not see". Saying that, I like the idea too.
So I am wondering... that mistake with the number in the Crate... could it be a real mistake in the plot? Russians stealing the wrong crate and opening a Pandoras box?

All as a result of a burocracy mistake (maybe a simple typing error in the inventory files) made in the past by the "topmen". A mistake that pushes Jones (who is related to the secret files that point to the wrong crate) to a new adventure?

I like the idea of a world in danger because of a single finger typing the wrong number. But thats just my mind playing with me. :rolleyes:

No Ticket

I hadn't thought of that Kingsley. I have to admit that something along those lines would be a good way to get Indy back into action. He IS linked to the Ark... perhaps they steal the wrong crate and somehow because he is linked to it he gets caught up in all of that mess.

Yeah. That idea is really intriguing! (y)

But we still can't say that the place where all the crates are hidden is actually (or at least is related to) the Area 51.

Kernunnos

Area 51, aliens etc. It could work.

In fact, it could be bloody brilliant... if it's pulled off correctly.

There's a lot of archaeological evidence that ancient civilisations had contact with extra terrestrials, and I can't see any reason why Indy shouldn't get on the case.

Just as long as we don't see Jar Jar Binks, I think it'll work out surprisingly well.

Professor Jones

commontone said:
But really, how is having an alien race involved in the film, intrinsically so much more outrageous than a knight from the Crusades who is hundreds of years old, having sustained himself with the Holy Grail? Or magical rocks that bring life and fertility to a village?

I think the fact that some of us dislike the idea of aliens in Indy 4 depends not on "how less realistic" could be in the plot. We all know Indy movies are pure fiction, like a novel or a fairy tale... we love them for that fantastic component. What I think it is the real problem it's the fact that not just everything that's mysterious and incredible necessarily "fits in Indy's universe".

I believe that the great part of a movie it's done by athmosphere, by unexpressed or just suggested feelings, of climates and moods. Indy's movie are immerged in a glow of "past", of ancient, of archaeological... I know there are theories about connections between aliens and ancient civilizations, but I still believe that some "alien" ingredient in Indy's movie would add some "science-fiction" mood that would be a wrong note in Indy's music sheet.

Though, I must admit that my repulsion is more for the "alien" idea than the Area 51 itself... If Area 51 is used just as a spin to make the plot take off there's no question, for me... it's just like they've used the "top men", as many of you said.

But my point is: if they'd abused with the "top men" Raiders would have been a spy-story... if they'd abused with the world-war-theme Crusade would have become a war movie... All these themes are just part of that intriguing stories the Authors have been capable to offer us 'till now. No problem if they're able to give us another suggestions in another great story. BUt if the suggestion (area 51) should turn out a exaggeration (aliens in the plot)... then I'm really frightened!

ResidentAlien said:
I hate the concept with every fiber of my being...

...but I'm holding out hope that if it is Area 51 they'll make it work...

Agree!

sarah navarro

I like the idea Kingsley,but doesnt every Spielberg have aliens in it?I really wouldnt like to see any real aliens.Battling aliens doesnt seem like archealogy to me:) but in Indys adventures you never know whats gonna happen next.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Apart from Sarah Navarro's question, which is a very good one, there's also the question of whether half of the Indy films need to have the Ark in it. The answer, it seems clear to me, is a resounding no.

Kingsley

Well, you can have the ark in Area 51 but never become to see it. Russians steal the wrong crate and the action continues outside... you only know you where very close to the ark, which remains lost between thousands of boxes.

And what russians steal must not necessary have a connection with aliens. But rumours are rumours, and aliens are Spielbergian topic.

Johnny

After all this time it will be hard to please every Indy fan with a new movie. (this one is for the fans -steven s.) However, I have to think they should know by now what made the first 3 films tick.
-That means jungles,sand,vehicles,guns,horses, temples,traps, treasures, supernatural plots and lots of action.

-So I guess if they want to work an alien into that stuff, they could. But I caution... (Not seeing the shark was better than seeing it -Jaws)

-I don't think we need to tie "everything" together either. arks, stones, cups -all alien inspired and abner ravenwood helped them.

Lets hope next year, as we watch Indy in action on the big screen,
we all look back at these threads and laugh. :hat:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Kingsley said:
Well, you can have the ark in Area 51 but never become to see it. Russians steal the wrong crate and the action continues outside... you only know you where very close to the ark, which remains lost between thousands of boxes.

And what russians steal must not necessary have a connection with aliens. But rumours are rumours, and aliens are Spielbergian topic.

I don't care whether the Ark is the main artifact or not...to have it play any role in the plot imbues it with a significance within the context of Indy's life that I still don't quite buy.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
As others have stated, if it's a warehouse similar (or is) to the one in Raiders' ending, then it works for me. Even that idea Kingsley has about the wrong serial number is a good idea. Aliens... well, now that would start a cross-over...

"Indiana Jones and the Star Wars", anyone?

So as you can probably gather, I don't really like the idea of aliens or anything sci-fi in a film inspired by Lash La Rue, Alan Quartermain, etc. Seeing Indy with aliens is the same as seeing that with Alan Quartermain. Indy is meant to be the opposite of Star Wars in genre. Indy is meant to dispose of anything that reeks technology, it's earthy and it's everything ancient, supernatural and based in a much simpler time. By going with aliens, I feel that would be going against everything that is represented in the others and the creative treatment that the others have. I don't see any way of aliens being treated in a way that would fit Indy. I struggle to see that. My two cents, take it or leave it.

Professor Jones

Johnny said:
After all this time it will be hard to please every Indy fan with a new movie. (this one is for the fans -steven s.)

That's the thruth!

Johnny said:
However, I have to think they should know by now what made the first 3 films tick.
-That means jungles,sand,vehicles,guns,horses, temples,traps, treasures, supernatural plots and lots of action.

-So I guess if they want to work an alien into that stuff, they could. But I caution... (Not seeing the shark was better than seeing it -Jaws)

-I don't think we need to tie "everything" together either. arks, stones, cups -all alien inspired and abner ravenwood helped them.

Lets hope next year, as we watch Indy in action on the big screen,
we all look back at these threads and laugh. :hat:

Let's hope so...

Ste2652

I'm not sure I like the idea of seeing the warehouse at the end of Raiders again... the little glimpse we got was great, leaving you wondering so many things all because of a single shot (what's in all those boxes? Where is the warehouse? Why are they stored there? What does the US Government intend to do will the contents of the crates? And many more :p). If Indy IV visited the warehouse again I think the ending to Raiders might not work quite so well.

As for Area 51 being used in some other context (hopefully not aliens...), I think Spielberg could make it work. Obviously the main part of the plot would work best in a variety of far-flung locations (deserts, jungles, temples and other exotic/mysterious/spiritual places) but - if it was done well - it might work well as the opening sequence for the first 15-20 minutes.

commontone

I agree, Area 51 would work well as a "pit stop" for the opening action sequence, or something similar. But not as a climactic location. Don't forget the secret submarine base in Raiders--that was a good idea, no?