Bottom fell out of market?

the_three_bears

The supposed "boom" has not arrived.
Actually you can pick up the old kenner figures cheaper now than before the latest film was released.
Here in Denmark they cannot fill the very small theatres for Indy 4 and Indy lego is already on sale all over the country.
I think the latest film has put a real dent into their plans with merchandise etc.
And all those who bought up all those Kenner figures to sell on .... :eek:

In my opinion Indy 4 was a big mistake and has killed a lot of my love for Indy and its merchandise.

Turning a legend into a joke.

Bat-Dude

Say what you will about Indy 4, it got me new Indy Action Figures for the first time in 24 years!! :D (don't have the Disney stuff)

Now, if we could just get the Temple of Doom Wave out I'd be golden :cool:

UIMJ

I'm living proof that the new stuff has brought new people into Indy collecting. However, I'm got on board because the whole thing has brought me back to the love of the character from my childhood more than from interest in the new movie.

ChromiumBlue37

the_three_bears said:
Actually you can pick up the old kenner figures cheaper now than before the latest film was released.
Here in Denmark they cannot fill the very small theatres for Indy 4 and Indy lego is already on sale all over the country.
I think the latest film has put a real dent into their plans with merchandise etc.

In my opinion Indy 4 was a big mistake and has killed a lot of my love for Indy and its merchandise.

Were you not the one who was buying up as much Kenner Indy as you could and asking for values? That was just a couple of months ago. Where have you been?

You are either an Indy Fan or not. Maybe KOTCS wasn't the best Indy movie, but so what? I was just glad to get more of Indy. We were all given a gift that almost never arrived.

Dr.Sartorius

the_three_bears said:

That's laughable. Show me the evidence that the franchise isn't currently successful financially.

Errex

Bat-Dude said:
Say what you will about Indy 4, it got me new Indy Action Figures for the first time in 24 years!! :D (don't have the Disney stuff)

I feel pretty much the same. Don't get me wrong, I DID like Indy 4, but I am buying the figures mostly for the previous three movies. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the current offerings.

thelaw

Bat-Dude said:

Yesss!!!! I never thought I'd see the day!

MaxPhactor23

Bat-Dude said:

I'd certainly say that's the best part of Crystal Skull. The movie was meh! The fact that it got the classic Indy films some much needed attention...priceless!

BlackSleep

Does anyone have any sales figures for the Indy waves? How are sales stacking up to other movie tie-in figures like Hulk, Dark Knight, etc., or even Star Wars?

UIMJ

BlackSleep said:
Does anyone have any sales figures for the Indy waves? How are sales stacking up to other movie tie-in figures like Hulk, Dark Knight, etc., or even Star Wars?

I just read an article about Hasbro from a google search today actually. It seems that sales on all of their lines is looking good, and that they don't really worry about the success (or lack of) in Hollywood because they are able to differentiate their toy lines on the shelves.

Hasbro is a monster right now though with all of the licenses for any property that matters this year. Iron Man, Indy, Hulk, Star Wars, etc (GI Joe).

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Were you not the one who was buying up as much Kenner Indy as you could and asking for values? That was just a couple of months ago. Where have you been?

Yes he was, and he was also the one that didn't believe that one could pick up some of the boxed stuff cheap just a couple of years ago. I've seen the bottom drop out of almost everything. I looked for a long time, almost a year, in getting an LJN Indy carded, they started shooting up and were going for 400 at one time. I was able to pick one up for 200 graded.

I think I got lucky when I sold some of my stuff a few months ago, I wanted to get rid of it and have money for the new toys. I sold a few extra graded pieces that went cheaper then I paid for them originally. Everything I sold went to the speculators and then went back up at 4x the amount, they still haven't sold.

Nurhachi1991

The figures are already on sale at my Target store. I knew they wern't going to fly off the shelfs......... other than collectors and die hard fans no one cares about these toys I hate to say that but it is true. I have seen countless children looking at the Indy figures going whats a Monkey Man? He doesn't look like a monkey.......

Kids today could care less about Indy stuff. Unless their parents are fans and buy them Indy toys the kid is not going to care.

BlackSleep

DarthMickey said:
yeah case in point again and again only collect what you like.If you collect trying to get rich you will lose. :gun:

Another reason I don't hesitate to open my figures up and toss the cards. They're worthless as collectibles, so you might as well enjoy them.

eroc

ChromiumBlue37 said:
You are either an Indy Fan or not. Maybe KOTCS wasn't the best Indy movie, but so what? I was just glad to get more of Indy. We were all given a gift that almost never arrived.

Well said, my friend.

phantom train

the_three_bears said:

Sorry, I have to completely disagree - The release of Indy 4 was responsible for a lot of new IJ merchandise/toys that would not have been made otherwise. And, specifically, the new IJ figures look 100% better than the old Kenner IJ figures - and, even if you wanted them, the Kenner figures are tough to find (and have been for years).
Even if one doesn't like the toys from Indy 4, we would not be getting all of the Raiders and forthcoming TOD and LC figures/vehicles if it wasn't for the resurgence of interest that the IJ franchise now has because of the new film.

iLUVINDY

I agree, I am 18 and never thought I would one day be able to collect Indiana Jones Toys, with the release of KOTCS, we have gotten so many things that were not available when the movies where originally released (y) i feel so lucky to be able to STILL be able to collect indy stuff. ITS AWESOME!!!!

DarthMickey

In my area you can't find almost any of the Indy Lego sets.Even the big one from KOTKS are long since sold out and haven't been re-shipped..We do have more than a few figures around but that's from Hasbro pulling a Star Wars EP1 Glut trying to cash in on 4 films at once. It's really cool that there are new toys in the stores for Indy.Probably won't happen ever again like this this. So enjoy it while it last.I mean to think you would be able to go into a store and buy a short round figure in 2008, it really is unbelievable. (y)