Diner Fight

The Man

Benraianajones said:
And why wouldn't he set a slight trap to evade being whisked away by gun weilders? Especially since the boy wouldn't have got a good beating from the commies,since they knew what he looked like. And for the record, I think Raiders was greatly written too.

They could have pistol-whipped the young man from behind to knock him out, causing cranial trauma. Indiana Jones, you b@stard!(y)

Raiders90

The Man said:
They could have pistol-whipped the young man from behind to knock him out, causing cranial trauma. Indiana Jones, you b@stard!(y)
This is a guy whose willing to murder people to get what he needs, and you're saying that's something he wouldn't do?
A guy that shot an arab swordsman--Who he could've disarmed or something--in cold blood.

BlackSleep

Raiders112390 said:
This is a guy whose willing to murder people to get what he needs, and you're saying that's something he wouldn't do?
A guy that shot an arab swordsman--Who he could've disarmed or something--in cold blood.

Uh, someone pulls a sword like that on me in the streets of Cairo, and I'm sending a round right into his gut too. No messing around with trying to "disarm" him...he pulls a weapon of any kind, he's opening himself up to whatever attack you want to deliver. Cops don't toss their guns away to "disarm" criminals who are only carrying knives...they shoot them. Well, unless you're Walker, Texas Ranger.

Cold blood...means you shoot someone who ISN'T threatening you with a sword. Put simply, if you're going to pull a sword on someone, make sure they're not carrying a pistol in their belt IN PLAIN SIGHT.

Raiders90

BlackSleep said:
Uh, someone pulls a sword like that on me in the streets of Cairo, and I'm sending a round right into his gut too. No messing around with trying to "disarm" him...he pulls a weapon of any kind, he's opening himself up to whatever attack you want to deliver. Cops don't toss their guns away to "disarm" criminals who are only carrying knives...they shoot them. Well, unless you're Walker, Texas Ranger.

Cold blood...means you shoot someone who ISN'T threatening you with a sword. Put simply, if you're going to pull a sword on someone, make sure they're not carrying a pistol in their belt IN PLAIN SIGHT.

But seriously. Indiana is a man armed with a whip, which has been used to disarm somebody. There were other alternatives. What he did was in cold blood. He shot him without a care in the world.
He didn't have to ''toss his gun away.'' Gun could've stayed in case, whip could've been utilized. Gun should've been a last resort in that case. The guy wasn't that dangerous and Indy's dealt with swords before (both in the previous year and as far back as 1917), so it wouldn't have been that big a deal.

Darth Vile said:
No one likes a jock...

Well lookie what we have here...

back2thefutureone84.jpeg

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
Well lookie what we have here...

back2thefutureone84.jpeg

I don't like jocks either. They've proven, on multiple occaisons, to be as*holes who are arrogant and who treat women like garbage and yet somehow manage to attract them, and usually have little intellect and are just unsavory kind of people.

NLogan

Raiders112390 said:
But seriously. Indiana is a man armed with a whip, which has been used to disarm somebody. There were other alternatives. What he did was in cold blood. He shot him without a care in the world.
He didn't have to ''toss his gun away.'' Gun could've stayed in case, whip could've been utilized. Gun should've been a last resort in that case. The guy wasn't that dangerous and Indy's dealt with swords before (both in the previous year and as far back as 1917), so it wouldn't have been that big a deal.

I disagree with your thinking that it was in "cold blood" shooting the swordsman. I have seen photos of a law enforcement officer who was an expert martial artist and also was a huge guy who thought he could disarm a man half his size with a knife and was severely cut in the process across his torso and back losing a large amount of blood and nearly his life in the process.:dead: Someone who is trained to fight with edged weapons knows if you are in a knife (sword) fight you will be cut. Studies also show that even if shot fatally i.e. heart, lungs etc.(unless it is a direct brain or spinal column hit) a person with an edged weapon can close the distance and inflict fatal wounds before succumbing to the gunshot. The swordsman is obviously trained using the scimitar and is definitely deadly dangerous even if not trained.
In regards to Indy having dealt with swords before if you watch the scene in TOD he first goes for his gun and then realizing it is gone improvises with hand to hand until he can reach another weapon his whip. Indy knew the Thuggee were trying to kill him and went to his lethal option first and then to his less lethal.
Indy also whipped the gun from Barranca's hand in the opening of ROTL. Maybe he was trying to keep quiet (not firing his gun) to avoid alerting the Hovitos tribe and Barranca's gun firing as it was whipped away was just unfortunate. Or maybe that was the closest weapon he had at hand and instincts just kicked in to save him in the split second that he heard the click of the hammer before he was shot in the back.:whip:
Regardless there is no doubt of the intentions of the Swordsman and by shooting him instead of increasing the risk of dying trying to fight him or disarm him, Indy shows he is not only smart as a tactician but quick on his feet with improvisation to solve difficult problems. Cold blooded as in a reptile waiting in ambush to strike he is not. :gun:

The Man

Had Indy fought the Cairo swordsman while suffering the 'runs', he would have placed the entire market-place in danger. He chose wisely...

muttjones

Raiders112390 said:

but i hope u all do know that they originally did plan a whip versus sword fight but because harrison had gotten sick from food poisoning while on set.

so someone came up with the idea of indy just shooting him as a comedy part of the movie.

i would have enjoyed it either way. :whip:

Benraianajones

Though the Cairo man did pose a threat - he essentially didn't. Indiana is able to outrun much more than a single swordsman, he didn't have to blast him away. Regardless of if a actual sword fight was originally planned. He shot him in the gut, whilst he was armed with a sword and showing off his art before battle.

The jock is obviously more innocent than what the Cairo man was to Jones, but at the end of the day, Jone's needed an escape, he thought of one, and at this point in his life, Jones has pretty much lost everything in his life - I doubt a jock's health - someone he doesn't know at all - is top priority.

Indyman4

Raiders112390 said:
Question
During the Diner fight, I've noticed Indy puts his fedora on one of the Jock types. Why would he do this?

Maybe because he knew he was about to go on Mutt's motorcycle and it would blow off... i don't know.

mutt willams

Legendary Times said:
Holy crap! I haven't noticed this at all! Wow. Ok, I'm blind.

*must. go. see. movie. again.*

i hadnt seen it either, return..... return!........... RETURN tothe the movie theater!