Don't get clever Boris you don't know him! You don't know him!!!!!!!

Raiders of Clay

How did the fridge door stay closed through the A.) Blast B.) Shockwave C.) Tumble? The door should have been blasted off its hinges (among other things). And that's just the fridge I'm talking about, not the "leftovers" inside.

Indy was probably holding the door shut. Thats what I would try to do.

Raiders90

I think the fridge scene was sort of a commentary/satire on and of the ridiculous "Duck and Cover" strategies of the late '50s.

CasualJeff

To the haters: would you have preferred the Saucer Men From Mars take on the nuclear fridge scene? Where he gets inside of a fridge inside of a crawlspace, instead of being hurled miles away?

I definitely would have. Although I guess neither situation is very realistic.

I would have preferred it if Indy finds the rocket sled nearby that was an emergency failsafe vehicle and rockets out of Doom Town to safety when the blast hits. That would have made it much more plausible instead of some f'n fridge.

DaveTheHutt

Er, that would've been ****, actually.

1/ Why would the sled start point be in Doom Town? "Sir, where shall we locate our expensive testing equipment?" "Er, stick it in a shack in a town we're just about to blow up."

2/ Any exposure to the flash heat from the bomb would have melted Indy and the sled in an instant.

3/ It's unlikely a sled would be able to outrun a nuclear shockfront (at least, if it was to keep to a speed a human - even Indy - could withstand).

4/ Even if it did, it would have to slow and come to a stop at some point (only limited fuel on those babies)... at which point the shockfront would toss it and anyone on it around like a tissue.

5/ How would Indy be protected from the radiation?

Agent Z

DaveTheHutt said:
Er, that would've been ****, actually.

1/ Why would the sled start point be in Doom Town? "Sir, where shall we locate our expensive testing equipment?" "Er, stick it in a shack in a town we're just about to blow up."

2/ Any exposure to the flash heat from the bomb would have melted Indy and the sled in an instant.

3/ It's unlikely a sled would be able to outrun a nuclear shockfront (at least, if it was to keep to a speed a human - even Indy - could withstand).

4/ Even if it did, it would have to slow and come to a stop at some point (only limited fuel on those babies)... at which point the shockfront would toss it and anyone on it around like a tissue.

5/ How would Indy be protected from the radiation?

No, no..it all went over your head.

The rocket sled, you see, would have a fridge bolted down in the front......

The Man

The rocket sled was a totally pointless little touch that Ol' George refused to veto out of childish desire. In fact, that whole sequence was literally built - or tacked- on to Hangar 51.

Bjorn Heimdall

That's the problem with the doomtown sequence, doomtown/nuked fridge could have been edited out comepletily with no consequence to the plot, so why even include it in the first place? At least Indy needed the rocketsled to get away (unintentional as it was).

Kooshmeister

I feel the same way, mostly because I for the life of me cannot figure out what its purpose was. Under what circumstances would the army need something like that in the warehouse? When I first heard about it, I assumed it was some experimental thing being stored there; instead it turns out it's got its own control room, track, exit tunnel and everything, implying it has a purpose.

Obviously it's intended as an escape pod type thing, but again, it's in a warehouse nobody is supposed to go into. Is it there just in case the President visits, on the off chance he needs to exit in twenty seconds or less?

Agent Z

Bjorn Heimdall said:
That's the problem with the doomtown sequence, doomtown/nuked fridge could have been edited out comepletily with no consequence to the plot......

The Doomtown sequence will be the easiest fan edit ever. You just cut from the Commie jeep pulling away into the night to Indy being questioned....

Kooshmeister said:
Obviously it's intended as an escape pod type thing, but again, it's in a warehouse nobody is supposed to go into. Is it there just in case the President visits, on the off chance he needs to exit in twenty seconds or less?

A warehouse used for the express purpose of storing supernatural/otherworldy finds that nobody really understands......so, yes, you definitely want an escape plan! (y)

Last edited:

Dust McAlan

The rocket sled was simply an experiment. That's all it should be taken as. They set it off, it flew away, it stopped at the end of the track. End of story.

Good lord. You'd think people would turn off their brains for an Indiana Jones movie.