Emperor's Tomb hints and tech help

whipwax

I'm going to scream. Here goes...

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Do I feel better? No.

This bloody BLOODY tank level in Emperor's tomb. What idiot designed this unplayable level????

Apart from throwing this game out the window, anyone got any tips on this mind numbingly pathetic level?

Ska

By about the 50th time you play this level, you will have it memorized and know exactly where/when to jump/run. I know it's frustrating, but just keep with it, and you'll get it sooner or later. The only tip I have (from the strategy guide) is when you get to the part where there are multiple whip swings in a row. Release yourself from the whip a little earlier than usual. Swinging the whole way causes the tank to catch up to Indy faster because Indy will land on both his feet and will need a second to recover. If you release from the whip a little sooner, Indy will be able to land in a running position and can take off earlier. Good luck!

Ska

whipwax

Thanks for the encouragement.

It took me something like 90 attempts to get it right. That has to rank up there in my top 3 pieces of worst game design ever created.

00Kevin

Indyfan
we often say that when we can't win, everyone does

although you will hate it as long as you can't pass it, it IS a very good, fun level, each indy adventure has a vehical chase near the end, and this one is the one for ET. It's a great one, fun, challenging, great music, fast paced, one of the best levels in the game

I think everyone had difficulty with this on, but we all get past it in time

whipwax

Nah, I have to disagree. I've played well over 500 games in my time (being old and all) and this sucked. I shouldn't have to do a level over 90 times to get a result. Especially not when there's no save function. That's what killed Project IGI stone dead. 10 times to get the hang of it I can live with, but 90? I read a review where the guy did it 127 times!

I don't know about you but I play games for the fun, the excitement, a little for the challenge, but a lot for the entertainment value. That level gave me nothing but stress. I'm sorry but I get enough of that at work.

Also the level required no brain power at all. It was just a question of learning the dance steps. For me, at any rate, that's just dull.

Still, the rest of the game has been great fun and I LOVE the fight engine. Those fights looked like they were straight out of the movies.

I just finished Max Payne 2 last weekend which was short but awesome. It uses the new Havoc engine developed for Half Life 2, which I can't wait for.

I would love to see an Indy game developed on the havoc engine with the ET fight engine incorporated.

My only other gripe with this game has to be that the story makes absolutely no sense in places, especially the Nazi involvement. They need to get a real scriptwriter in to craft that.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
whipwax said:
I just finished Max Payne 2 last weekend which was short but awesome. It uses the new Havoc engine developed for Half Life 2, which I can't wait for.

And they created it about 500 metres from my home. Must be one of the best Finnish games ever created.

whipwax

It's Finnish??? lol

It's great, though disappointingly short.

Have you got their address and phone number I have an idea for Max Payne 3 :D

VP

Moderator Emeritus
No, I don't. But you can always go to their site, http://www.remedy.fi, and read <a href="http://www.remedy.fi/company/index.html">this page</a>.

<i>/edit: I found it.

Remedy Entertainment, Ltd.
Kappelitie 6 D
FIN-02200 ESPOO
FINLAND

Phone: +358-9-435 5040
Fax: +358-9-435 50444
Company VAT number: FI1017278-9
Company reg. number: 637.610

For business proposals and press enquiries, please contact:

Matias Myllyrinne, Business and Finance Director
E-mail: matias@remedy.fi
Phone: +358-9-435 50415
Fax: +358-9-435 50444</i>

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
The discussion in this thread shows that members of The Raven Message Board are a diverse and international community. However, it appears that the discussion has strayed from the original topic or does not remain Indiana Jones related. It is important to stay on topic and within the Indiana Jones genre, so as to prevent confusion among those participating in the discussion or visiting this site for the first time. This topic is moderated and future off-topic discussion could lead to the unfortunate closing of this thread. - TR.N Staff

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Yep, the discussion in this thread shows, that not all good games or Indyfans are yanks.

Back on topic.

Clintwood

I have read that there seems to be other (including me) that hava severe errors in level 15, not being able to continue. E.g. elevators that do not work, Turner has disapeared etc. I have solved this by using preparred savewd-gamed applies by the user "nd" on his ftp-site.

Now, I also have a severe problem in level 7 - Palawan Temple. The game hungs at start-up sequence. I solved this by using nd's saved start-game for level 7. However, now I can enter level 7, but my weapons are all ****ed-up. It is not possible to shoot properly, the hand grenade leavs a graphical explosion on the screen, but worst of all, the Urgons part does not work. It jus clicks, nothing more happens and that means that I can not proceed the level.

Does anyone have proper fixes for levels 7 & 15 or else, can anyone provide me with corrected save-games for level 7?

As it is now, I had to skip level 7.

/Clintwood

Clintwood

Thanks for the tip Finn,

However, my game is already v1.2, since I bougt it quite recently. I have tried to install the patch, bu t get the ansver that it is already installed!

nd

Sorry that my start file doesn't work for you. I tried it and the inventory is ok in my installation.

I suspect there is a difference between the original IM versions where the patch is suggested for and the recent version which have the patch already incorporated.

I bought my version in mid-2000 and patched it with the 1.2 update. This is how I made the savegames. It is of course possible that they are somewhat incompatible with the recent IM version.

BTW the installation I have flawlessly plays through all levels without any problems. I don't have a recent IM version to verify your problems, though. Maybe someone else has a savegame for level 7 which was created with a recent IM version. However, as far as I know there is no way to overcome the level 15 problems in the recent version.

If I were in the position to do this, I would announce a warning on the lucasarts site to not buy the recent IM version ;)

Clintwood

OK, thanks...

It seems strange though, since your other save-games work? Especially the level 15 ones.

Thanks for your help anyway!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
In my game, first I completed the game without even playing levels 5, 6, 7 and 8. That's because of the bug in the god mode code, so I couldn't complete the level 4. The iceblock in the end just didn't crack. But I completed it by using only health kit code.

If you're using any codes, it might be that. Also the free hints -code doesn't work on my machine.

Finn

Staff member
Sounds like an incompatilibity problem between different version savegames. (Besides - I hate using any other than my own anyway, because in all the downloaded savegames, the amount of ammo, medkits and treasure vary.)
Of course it may also be a display card driver issue.

The only cheat that doesn't work in ANY version is the free cheat code (NUB_WILLIE).

<small>VP - you sure you finished off the big icy bugger BEFORE trying to get past the ice block?</small> :D

It's funny, I must have been one of those rare IM players who haven't encountered any problems while playing the game.

<small>Though there is one thing that I haven't been able to figure out... how to climb on the roof of the mine shack in level 13 (Sol's mines) to see the signature of Tim Miller?</small>

nd

Finn said:
<small>Though there is one thing that I haven't been able to figure out... how to climb on the roof of the mine shack in level 13 (Sol's mines) to see the signature of Tim Miller?</small> [/B]

There are crates besides the door which you can climb to reach the roof. You'll find something else there if you light your zippo.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Finn said:
<small>VP - you sure you finished off the big icy bugger BEFORE trying to get past the ice block?</small> :D

Yep, the Ice monster exploded, but the ice block didn't crack. Now if I play my old savegames, where I used the god mode code, the Ice monster doesn't even jump down! He just stays up there. And because the iceblock cracks only after the vanishing of The Ice, I can't proceed to Palawan.