Eyes Wide Shut

The Man

With Kubrick, it's all about ageing well...

1. Eyes Wide Shut

What they said:
“Neither shocking, erotic nor profound. Actually, it's rather silly. What starts as a study of a marriage threatened by complacency becomes a murky conspiracy mystery that's barely suspenseful or credible.”
Geoff Allen, Time Out

What we say:
It’s difficult, yes - in the same way that 2001 and A Clockwork Orange and The Shining are difficult.

Notice the connection? Those movies are all masterpieces. Proper, no-debate, inarguable masterpieces.

Sure, Eyes Wide Shut wasn’t the grand send-off we all wanted - the instant, stand-up-and-applaud-Stanley exhibition of greatness that it felt like it should be.

But, genius doesn’t roll that way. Instead, the film is complex, ambiguous and occasionally baffling, but commandingly meticulous and oh-so deliberate.

Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, playing a struggling couple while themselves nearing the end of their real-lifemarriage, feel cold and disconnected in a way that’s utterly, ruthlessly precise. Cruise’s nightmare slide into an underworld of elitist depravity shakes him loose from his composed star image and has him running loose – acting! – throughout.

It’s challenging, austere, maybe even unlikable, but also dense, dark, sexy, complex, rewarding and - yes, it is - hugely underrated.

*Total Film themselves gave Stanley's swansong a mere two stars upon its release...

so wah mu

Who Grant?

...similar to Bitter Moon. Roman Polanski me thinks. Never thought much about this guy Hugh grant in a minor role in this film. Always thought of him as a wet blanket. Not my wet blanket i must add.
Still what a great film.
Full of strange twists and turns, brilliant acting from the other cast members too. Really shows the constant changing phases of relationships, and the warped and depraved behaviour some show towards each other when the relationship sours.
A compelling yarn, and thoroughly recommend this film to anyone with half a brain.

...like that kid in 6th sense who messes with his dads shotgun.

Joe Brody

Couple of things:

1. How I've missed this thread I don't know.

2. No contest between Kidman and Holmes. Kidman has a brain.

3. . . .and Kidman looks fantastic in this movie. Kubrick may have botched this movie but there's some great Kidman.

4. Only thing worse than a whining b*tch . . . . it's one that b*tches from the grave.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Couple of things:

1. How I've missed this thread I don't know.

I was thinking the same thing. Kubric conspiracy theory aside, I'd like your interpretation of this masterpiece.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
I was thinking the same thing. Kubric conspiracy theory aside, I'd like your interpretation of this masterpiece.

Rightly or wrongly, I have to admit that I'm a basher. I'm a literalist -- and all the stuff at the end, for me, was just too staged and contrived. Using bodies is good cheap filler in a lot of film (notably, in war movies including Full Metal Jacket), but in EWS the staged bodies just seemed forced . . . and fake. I don't see how Kubrick can peg all those languid bodies at the end on Cruise/Kidman (not to mention some of earlier silly scenes).

But even amid some of the more adsurd scenes in the middle of the film, I recall there being a Shining-type suspense. Years ago, I remember being preoccupied by what Kidman was going to do to Cruise. The pending consequences for Cruise's inevitable misdeeds were more important and more interesting that what was on the screen.

I don't know if this makes any sense. In other words, EWS had Shining-like suspense by negative implication. But instead of the Shining's mountainous void -- the EWS viewer is left with the silly nocturnal scenes.

But I'll say it again, watching Kidman is worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

Eric Solo

I don't think Ermey is right about Kubrick being shy or timid. I saw a behind the scenes doc from the SHining and he didn't seem at all shy or timid in that especially when dealing with the sometimes-difficult Shelly Duvall.