Favorite Director

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Fairly simple question, I suppose: what are some of your favorite directors?

I tend to favor the great John Ford, director of such films as The Grapes of Wrath, The Searchers, My Darling Clementine, The Informer, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Stagecoach, The Quiet Man, Young Mr. Lincoln, How Green was my Valley, and more. The great Orson Welles, when asked who his favorite directors were, responded, well, I like the old masters, by which I mean John Ford, John Ford, and John Ford. He was admired by Kurosawa, Fellini, and Bergman. Spielberg, Lucas, Kubrick, Coppola, Leone, and others have all referred to his films in their own work.

My personal favorite Ford film is The Searchers. Here is another thread where swords and I went back and forth on the film a bit.

http://www.theraider.net/theraven/showthread.php?threadid=4108

Anyways, so who is everyone's favorite director, and what is your favorite film by that director?

Last edited:

hffan2000

Attila ,
i got admit i'm such a big film buff that there are many i admire. here are just a few: ron howard, george lucas, steven spielberg, peter jackon, stephen sommers, phillip noyce.

what do you think of these directors?

swords

Edit: Got rid of my previous post which was completely useless.(fodder, a thing for the cattle)

Favorite Directors?

Hitchcock(only some of his movies)
Sam Riami
John Mcterreanean
John Woo
Spielberg

To tell the truth, Im not really a ethiusiast for directors of yesteryear, can't connect the movies they did, however a good movie is still a good movie, and a lot of classics are good (notice, I mention Hitchcock because I regconize his films which are plentful and of good quality. I enjoyed John Ford's The Searchers but can't relate his other movies, get my point?)

[Edited by swords on 05-11-2003 at 10:49 am]

Finn

Staff member
There'll be a lot of users with this table, I suspect. ;)

Anyway, great directors... Spielberg, naturally. Then there're some of those Attila already mentioned... and if I recall more, I'll let you know.

Indy 4

My favorite Classic Film directors are Cecil B. Demille, William Wyler, and Franklin Schaffener.
My present day favorite film directors are George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Stephen Sommers, Oliver Rippley, and Peter Jackson.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
hffan2000 said:
Attila ,
i got admit i'm such a big film buff that there are many i admire. here are just a few: ron howard, george lucas, steven spielberg, peter jackon, stephen sommers, phillip noyce.

what do you think of these directors?

I like Ron Howard. He's good. I can't think of any of his films off-hand though (that I've seen). George Lucas is a formidable film persona of recent years, and Spielberg has doubtless done more for the film industry, for better or for worse, in the past quarter-century or so, particularly the highly-influential Jaws, which changed the movie industry forever. Can't say I really know much of anything about the last three though. Jackson's Lord of the Rings didn't impress me much.

00Kevin

Indyfan
My fav. directs:

yanks:

-S. Spielburg
-G. Lucas

Brits:

(the bond directors)
-John Glen
-Terence Young
-Lee tamahori

other good ones:

-R. Howard
-J. McTieren (SP?)(though not as good as SS and GL, but his action films ROCK!!)
-P. Jackson------LOTR, smashing, but still, nothing beats SW and indy (and bond ;))

and how can we forget the master of suspense:

HITCHCOCK

Attila the Professor

Staff member
swords said:
this is great

So this is what the moderators had planned, Attila must be in high joy, lol! :):D

I believe the phrase that best describes my feelings on the new board is "giddy as a schoolboy." :D

Danie is right, David Lean certainly deserves a mention.

EvilDevo

my favorite directors are: sam raimi, stephen sommers, steven spielberg, james cameron and tim burton. i like about half of ivan reitmans work, robert zemeckis is pretty good also, but not my favorite. its good to see a lot of stephen sommers fans here. anybody like the movie "deep rising"?

EvilDevo

also, i see a lot of peter jackson fans... but have you all seen his humble beginnings? ie: 'bad taste' and 'dead alive'? they are SO different from LOTR its like day and night.

brainofj21

My favorite directors of all time are

Steven Spielberg and Quentin Tarantino

Other directors that I enjoy are

Martin Scorsese
Robert Rodriquez
David Fincher
Joel Coen
Sam Raimi
Cameron Crowe
Kevin Smith
Ridley Scott
M. Night Shymalan
Mike Judge
Gore Verbinski
Jon Favrau

TheMutt92

Chris Nolan
Steven Spielberg
George Lucas
Joel and Ethan Coen
Michael Bay
Gore Verbinski
Jon Favrau
Howard Hawks

Just to name a few

TheMutt92

Whoa. I guess its been a while since anyone else has written on here.

Oh yeah, Hitchcock and George Clooney.

Matinee Idyll

Just one? Probably Michael Powell. Just a complete, absolute, freakin' genius. Is our resident classic film buff a fan, Prof?

italy-arts-michaelpowell330x260.jpg

LostArk

George Lucas
Francis Ford Copolla (The Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now)
Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future trilogy, Forrest Gump)
Sergio Leone (Dollars trilogy)
Quentin Tarantino
Kevin Smith
Steven Spielberg
Christopher Nolan (Following, Memento, Batman Begins)
Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Hannibal)