Quentin Tarantino
Ridley Scott
Peter Jackson
Paul Greengrass
Howard Hawks
John Houston

Le Saboteur

I'll have to go...

...with Jean-Pierre Melville and Jules Dassin. Of their works, "Le Samourai" and "Night and the City" stand out as my favourite pictures.

Le Saboteur

Kathyrn Bigelow...

...has made some of my favourite movies of recent memory ("Strange Days", & "Near Dark"), and I'm looking forward to her newest picture: The Hurt Locker.

Movies about the boondoggle in Iraq haven't been very popular (did anybody here really watch "In the Valley of Elijah" or "The Lucky Ones"?), but there's something about this one that sets it apart. And you just know that Nick James' screed is going to lend it some cachet. He writes, "Despite a 'war is hell' gloss and terrific street atmosphere built by really excellent acting, camerawork and editing, it could pass for propaganda."

avidfilmbuff

I've just seen Umberto D and The Bicycle Thief, and with that, I wish to add Vittorio de Sica to my list of favorite directors.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Here be my favourites. No particular order:

Mel Brooks (great spoofer and great comedy and really love most of his film work, the only exception being High Anxiety)

Quentin Tarantino (absolutely in love with the Kill Bill movies)

Robert Rodriguez (have always been in love the Desperado films and his persistence)

Penelope Spheeris (a chick in a man's world, did a great job with Wayne's World)

Kevin Lima (does great Disney live action films, especially Enchanted)

George Miller (seriously is easily one of the best Australian directors and is one who has crossed the divide well between Hollywood and Australia)

Maya Deren (she's a true artist and yeah, pretty eccentric)

Alfred Hitchcock (and Alma Reville-Hitchcock, after doing research on Hitchcock's life and work, I found that Alma was a very big influence and decision maker for Hitch).

Michael Pattinson (another Australian director who has crossed the divide and was my Directing lecturer for a semester. He disappeared onto a project a short time after. He taught me a whole lot!).

Steven Spielberg (He's a master when it comes to the balance of great camerawork orchestration and acting. I personally prefer his older films.)

Phillip Noyce (another great Australian director, has crossed the divide well and both old and new films are quite good)

avidfilmbuff

I've just finished watching Fitzcarraldo. Having already seen Aguirre the Wrath of God, I now wish to add Werner Herzog to my list of favorite filmmakers.

TheMutt92

Again, this is an update version of my previous posts:

Steven Spielberg
Quentin Tarantino
The Coen Brothers
Christopher Nolan
Francis Ford Coppola
George Lucas
Ridley Scott
Peter Jackson
James Cameron
Sergio Leone
Howard Hawks
John Huston
Michael Curtiz

Last edited by a moderator:

Forbidden Eye

Here is my current list:

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. David Lynch
3. Clint Eastwood
4. Akira Kurosawa
5. Terry Gilliam
6. Werner Herzog
7. Alfred Hitchcock
8. Joel and Ethan Coen
9. Ingmar Bergman
10. Martin Scorsese

RedeemedChild

My Favorites are:

Jerry Bruckheimer

James Cameron

Jeffrey Jacob Abrams

George Lucas

Steven Spielberg

Francis Ford Coppola

Tim Burton

Bryan Singer

Andrew Stanton

Andrew Adamson

Ron Clements

John Musker

Gary Trousdale

Simon Wells

Brenda Chapman

RedeemedChild

Dr. Gonzo said:
So you really really liked The Price of Egypt? She doesn't exactly have a resume as a director. That was her only film.

Yes I did. It's a shame that's basically all she has under her belt.

Yet there might be a ray of hope. According to movie news floating around the internet she supposed to direct and write for Disney's The Bear and the Bow AKA "Brave".

YouNeverKnow

In no order, I'm just writing them as I think of them:

The Wachowski Brothers

Guillermo del Toro

Peter Jackson

Martin Scorsese

Quentin Tarantino

Christopher Nolan

Terry Gilliam

Darren Aronofsky

Steven Spielberg

Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, John Lasseter

Wolfgang Reitherman

Tim Burton

My only criteria really is that I have to enjoy the bulk of their output, and the movies have to have been actually directed by them. I put the usual Pixar directors all together just because. And I put John Lasseter's name in italics because he has become a personal hero of mine and has saved and will continue to save Disney.

avidfilmbuff

Well, I can't believe I'm saying this, but, Hayao Miyazaki is now one of my favorite filmmakers. For years, I've always been telling people how much I despise Japanese animation, and while I still feel that way about most of the Japanese animation I see, I just cannot deny how brilliant Miyazaki's films are.