FIFA World Cup Germany 2006

qwerty

Place your comments about World Cup here.
It starts on friday. I can't wait.
I think I am going to fail most of my exams in june becouse of it. But it is worth it.

Spain will win it
Italy will end 2nd
England 3rd
Holland 4th

Brazil is knocked out by Spain in the quarter finals, wanna bet? :p

westford

I'm supporting England cos Scotland aren't in it. They won't win though.

Sorry Luisiana, I think Brazil will win, and maybe Germany (they've got the home support) or Holland 2nd.

Watching Ecuador beating Poland 1-0 at the moment, and looking forward to England's opening game tomorrow.

"He's big, he's red, his feet stick out the bed - Peter Crouch! Peter Crouch!" ;)

Joe Brody

westford said:
I'm supporting England cos Scotland aren't in it. They won't win though.

I heard three of the English fight songs on the radio yesterday -- do you have favorite?

[loaded question b/c two were God Awful -- but the punk one was passable.]

qwerty

I hope you are wrong about Holland. I hope it turns out they have horible team and that they are actualy outsiders.
I say that becouse Serbia is playing against Holland tomorow.

Joe Brody

VP said:
Football sucks.

How could you be critical of any event with a motto like "A Time to Make Friends". The television promos tell us the World Cup is a cure all -- it even stops wars.

Seriously, I think its great watching the new and old world mixing it up. It's everything the Olympics used to be -- National Pride. Real competition. Gotta love it.

Finn

Staff member
VP said:
Football sucks.
Now now, my young friend. Soca's quite funny sport after all, at least you do feel less ticked when Swedes play well as you do with hockey.

westford

Joe Brody said:
I heard three of the English fight songs on the radio yesterday -- do you have favorite?

[loaded question b/c two were God Awful -- but the punk one was passable.]
I have no idea which songs you're talking about, but World Cup anthems are generally s***. This year's official England song is pretty dull. The best (imo) was the Scottish one from 1978:

"We're on the March with Ally's army
We're going to The Argentine
And we'll really shake them up
When we win the World Cup
Cos Scotland are the greatest football team!"

:p

And the Swedes are currently 0-0 against Trinidad and Tobago who've had a man sent off (64 mins played). Not too convincing really (much like England earlier, I'll add).

No US supporters then? Surprising since they've got a decent team...

Joe Brody

westford said:
I have no idea which songs you're talking about, but World Cup anthems are generally s***. This year's official England song is pretty dull. The best (imo) was the Scottish one from 1978:

"We're on the March with Ally's army
We're going to The Argentine
And we'll really shake them up
When we win the World Cup
Cos Scotland are the greatest football team!"

I couldn't find it. And boy were you right -- there was tons of lousy songs. I found two other punk England Anthems but neither was the one I heard.

Do you have a link for the Scottish one?

qwerty

DAMN!! Serbia lost. We were better all the way through but we still lost 1:0.
Now we have to beat Argentina and Cote-d'Ivoire.
It's gonna be a hard fight, but I am still an optimist.

Finn

Staff member
qwerty said:
DAMN!! Serbia lost. We were better all the way through but we still lost 1:0.
Sorry to say this, but it's hard to call the team better if it misses so many obvious scoring chances... the Dutch succeeded in making a goal (and it wasn't a cheap one either), the Serbs didn't.

qwerty

We were better in every single element of the game exept for scoring. And if there wasn't for Robben even that wouldn't be so. Holland did not beat Serbia, Robben did.

Finn

Staff member
But it's all you need to be better at to win a match...

Plus, it's hard to say that it was Robben alone, the Dutch defense and van der Sar played a bad match and still managed to keep the "better" team from scoring?

Last edited:

westford

I thought Serbia & Montenegro were unlucky not to get a goal, but you don't always get what you deserve in football...

It's a tough group Qwerty! My fiance reckons Holland won't go through to the next round - shows what I know! :p

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I´m glad I moved out of the Netherlands (which is the correct name for Holland, btw) before they had to play. Entire country is colored in orange and people go crazy every time ´their´ team has to play. I´m not a fan of patriotism... especially not over some grown men who get far to much paid just to run after a stupid ball..

qwerty

Ayrun said:
Well, I´m glad I moved out of the Netherlands (which is the correct name for Holland, btw) before they had to play. Entire country is colored in orange and people go crazy every time ´their´ team has to play. I´m not a fan of patriotism... especially not over some grown men who get far to much paid just to run after a stupid ball..

Women...:rolleyes:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AUSTRALIA KICKED JAPAN'S A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 TO 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:whip: