First reviews WITHOUT spoilers

areyouin729

I feel like the reviews and the YouTube commentary are separate things.

The hope was that the movie would be good enough that it could dissuade the extreme takes. That doesn't appear to be the case.

I guess a measuring stick was always redemption from KOTCS (which I enjoyed) and the majority of the reviews seem to say it is but now it seems goalposts shifted to doesn't hold up to the original 3

damned if you do, damned if you don't for Indy I suppose

areyouin729

LMAO at them finding how ridiculous the “woke” YouTube comments are. My advice is to pay them no mind, the people typing out that are the dumbest most gullible people who have nothing else better to do with their time, other than getting outraged at everything.

I mean these are the same people who spent months outraged at a piece of green chocolate coated candy wearing high heels 🤣

Thank god I never fell into whatever hole they did LMAO

Randy_Flagg

Back when the original Indiana Jones films came out, I would have never imagined that one day we would let an aggregate score made up of other people's opinions emotionally impact our decision making, fandom, love of Indiana Jones.

Back in '84 most critics tore Temple of Doom to shreds and in '89 Last Crusade had good to mixed reviews and was largely slagged off for being a "Raiders retread." Did we care back then?
I think it's only natural to have our feelings/expectations impacted by other people's comments about something. If I'm at a buffet and a whole bunch of people tell me, "Hey, don't get the potatoes, they taste really bad," then even if I'd been excited about having potatoes with my dinner, my excitement would be diminished somewhat. I still might try them, but with less enthusiasm.

As for whether or not we cared back in 1984, well, I was 9 years old when TOD came out, so I don't think I was even aware of what was being said in the papers about that movie. Also, I was still at the age where I doubt I would have believed a negative review, anyway. I think that lasted all the way up until 1999, when I started hearing negative things about The Phantom Menace, and I laughed them off, saying, "It's Star Wars... how could it not be good??" And then I saw the movie and realized, oh yeah, it's actually not that good.

I'm still hopeful for DOD, but I'd be lying if I said my expectations weren't dimmed by the reviews. But who knows... maybe going in with lower expectations will work to my benefit and I'll enjoy it even more as a result.

Xzmmc

I mean these are the same people who spent months outraged at a piece of green chocolate coated candy wearing high heels 🤣

Thank god I never fell into whatever hole they did LMAO

It must be exhausting constantly thinking everything you don't like is some sinister shadowy conspiracy instead of just something you don't like. Main character syndrome is a hell of a drug.

I expect the film to wind up with an RT rating comparable to KotCS, somewhere in the high 60s/low 70s. Not that it means anything, Revenge of the Sith has 79%, and that film is decidedly not better than KotCS.

White Slavers

It must be exhausting constantly thinking everything you don't like is some sinister shadowy conspiracy instead of just something you don't like. Main character syndrome is a hell of a drug.

I expect the film to wind up with an RT rating comparable to KotCS, somewhere in the high 60s/low 70s. Not that it means anything, Revenge of the Sith has 79%, and that film is decidedly not better than KotCS.

I think ROTS is a considerably better film than KOTCS

Xzmmc

I think ROTS is a considerably better film than KOTCS
Disagree, RotS' script is just as full of holes as KotCS', but the direction and dialogue are markedly worse imo. Crystal Skull has some pretty corny lines here and there (grab the rope/space between spaces) but nothing on the level of facepalm inducing as 'from my point of view the Jedi are evil'.

Face_Melt

Like a lot better. I can enjoy KOTCS but it isn't close to the quality of the IJ OT.

ROTS; however, is very close to the quality of the SW OT. Maybe even as good as ROTJ.

Would love to have a DoD that was as good as ROTS. We will see.
What on earth? ROTS had a laughing coughing cyborg with 4 arms bust out 4 lightsabers and proceed to spin them around like helicopter blades. It had a paper thin plot that Lucas used like 6 lightsaber duels to distract us with. Vader screamed NOOOO, a main character lost the will to live etc. it’s an abysmal movie and the acting and dialog only make it worse. It’s nowwhere near the original trilogy and it’s certainly significantly worse than KOTCS.

Jones Disciple

What on earth? ROTS had a laughing coughing cyborg with 4 arms bust out 4 lightsabers and proceed to spin them around like helicopter blades. It had a paper thin plot that Lucas used like 6 lightsaber duels to distract us with. Vader screamed NOOOO, a main character lost the will to live etc. it’s an abysmal movie and the acting and dialog only make it worse. It’s nowwhere near the original trilogy and it’s certainly significantly worse than KOTCS.
All one needs to do is say anything remotely positive about the prequels and you will turn up to put them in their place.

IndyCon

star-wars-liar.gif

FordFan

Yikes. No. ROTS is the worst acted film of the entire Star Wars franchise. Cringe worthy dialog and laughable acting performances. Awful plot too.

At the very least, Crystal Skull is well acted and well directed.
It's not saying much, but ROTS has the best acting of the prequels, hands down.

Xzmmc

Man, I'm really thirsty for some Dial-centric merch.

BoxLunch just put out a new shirt and surprise - it only showcases items from Raiders and Crusade.

Starting to think there are only 2 Indy films...
Older Indy and Helena are getting figures soon with Voller and Renaldo in the same line at some point. It's something I guess. I'd love a replica of the titular Dial though.