General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Johnny Jones

ben7 said:
If that's the last Indy film that comes out, I'm going to be very disappointed because it just feels incomplete and empty.
Exactly! And it sticks out like a sore thumb. '35... '36... '38... '57, and all of a sudden the main character is old and grey. Which in itself is fine... but... it would be nice to have another, especially a sequel to KotCS, and smooth the transition, however slightly.

jdm_jib

i still think the way forward for indy 5 is a prequel, set about 5 years before, no Mutt, no Marion, dye Harrisons hair a little so its more coloured (not Raiders coloured but more a hybrid of LC and KOTCS since he was greying in LC) . I think this would work great for many reasons:

1) it would fit in with the theme of the original 3 (first film, prequel then sequel)

2) Would ease the transition between LC and KOTCS and make the series feel more fluid.

3) Would allow for quite an action based gritty adventure with Indy playing slightly younger but also keeping the time period alittle earlier.

4) Would give more options for the adventure since they wouldnt need to include Mutt and Marion, would probably make it easier to write aswell with that out of the equation)

If they dont do a prequel...id atleast like a prequel opening sequence like LC, i think that worked really well and also opened up the world of indy to the fact that Indy does age and is not and will not be in his 30's forever, somepeople still dont accept the fact that indy has aged in KOTCS.

No Ticket

Dr.Sartorius said:
They would have to make the movie RIGHT NOW. Harrison Ford isn't getting any younger.

This is probably the main reason Indy 5 isn't going to happen. Spielberg/Lucas/Ford would all have to come up with an idea AND make time to shoot it in the next two years or so. Any longer than that and I'd say forget it.

I kind of want them to take another stab at it, but isn't it kind of funny? After all this time we get a new Indy film and it wasn't really all that and a bag of potato chips and (yes I said that) ... and yet we want them to make one more? Even with Harrison nearly 70 years old?

Odds are you're still going to get more of the same even on another go 'round. I just don't think they can make a movie like Raiders anymore. Which of course, I wish weren't true. I'm not knocking KOTCS here, or Lucas or anyone. I'm just saying odds are it's just not going to happen.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Zorg

Time is against us, but still. If Spielberg got his way this time around, they could agree with the MacGuffin (although it really isn't that important, George), they got a decent screenwriter to write the thing and found time in their schedules in the next 2-3 years, I'd say bring it on. If it starts looking like it'll take 5 years or more... then I'll be more skeptical.

'Cause if there's one thing I'd love to see it's one last GREAT adventure for Indy. KotCS already had all the ingredients and could've been just that.

Dr.Sartorius

Harrison did look amazingly young for his age (for the most part) in Indy 4. That makes me somewhat confident he can pull off Indy 5. I think it would be asking too much for him to do a prequel to KOTCS though. He already played himself 7 years younger in Indy 4. In a prequel (most likely set in 1955 or 56) Ford would be around 68 years old playing a 56 year old. Not an impossible feat but still a tall order.

AnImaginaryBoy

Go on, Steve, do Indy 5, and get Steven Moffat to write the script! I know he's got Doctor Who to do, but....erm...offer him a truckload of money!

Zorg

I wonder what stage of development Interstellar is on. IMDB has listed it forever, but it's status hasn't changed in ages. Looks like a project that could be postponed and delayed again and again.

So Tintin is a sure thing, and Lincoln, as far as anyone outside Spielberg's office knows, is still going to happen. :confused:

Now that he dropped Chicago 7 I guess there's room for some new directorial project in the future.

DIrishB

The Man said:
Has Mr. Stevie spoken publicly about Indy V since Skull's global release?

I haven't read any quotes by him on the subject. It'd be interesting to see how much enthusiasm is in his voice while giving an answer to that question. And of course, thats probably entirely up to how much of a pain in the ass George would be to work with on another film.

Snap

It's not a matter "if" its going to happen. Indy V IS going to happen. Going to come out within the next 4 years by my guestimation.

James

Spielberg seems to have really enjoyed himself while making the film, and claims to have developed a strong friendship with Ford this time around. People have tried to spin his "reluctant" comments into a negative story, but I don't think there's anything to the argument.

I'm more surprised that they're even open to the idea of making another film. Didn't you honestly expect this one to be presented as a swansong? They certainly wouldn't have raised any eyebrows with such an announcement.

So I could easily see a fifth movie being produced within the next five years. Spielberg is one of the few directors who can juggle a multitude of projects in any given year. Now that the biggest hurdle (ie. aliens) has been surpassed, agreeing on a Macguffin shouldn't be as difficult. They've already taken the series into new genre territory. And Ford has always said he's most interested in exploring the personal relationships of the character, so a return by Mutt or Marion would automatically attract his interest.

Then again, I don't really see why it absolutely has to be made within the next few years (or else!). Yes, Ford is getting old, but the character has already been portrayed as older- both in the films and the tv series. So, it's clearly not a character that is dependent upon youth.

If everyone's still around in 8 or 10 years and they decide to make another film...why not? I could easily see the character working as an older, bearded adventurer. Let's face it, the idea of Ford returning at 65 would've seemed pretty unlikely way back in 1989, too. :eek:

agentsands77

James said:
Spielberg seems to have really enjoyed himself while making the film, and claims to have developed a strong friendship with Ford this time around. People have tried to spin his "reluctant" comments into a negative story, but I don't think there's anything to the argument.
I think Spielberg did have a fun time crafting KINGDOM (and would probably be up for another just because he enjoys the experience), but I'm a bit uncertain as to how he feels about the finished film. It definitely seems like KINGDOM was another TEMPLE moment for him - ala an Indy film where he tended to let George have what he wanted, and was more excited about the relationships that were developed than about the finished film.

James said:
I'm more surprised that they're even open to the idea of making another film. Didn't you honestly expect this one to be presented as a swansong? They certainly wouldn't have raised any eyebrows with such an announcement.
When I heard the story, KINGDOM certainly struck me as something of a grand send-off film. The movie didn't end up playing that way, though (CITY OF THE GODS sure did, though).

James said:
If everyone's still around in 8 or 10 years and they decide to make another film...why not? I could easily see the character working as an older, bearded adventurer. Let's face it, the idea of Ford returning at 65 would've seemed pretty unlikely way back in 1989, too. :eek:
I could see an older Jones adventure working, but I would want it to be a more sedate affair. Less popcorn thrills, more story, and more atmosphere. I don't know how well that would go over.

Jonesy9906753

jdm_jib said:
i still think the way forward for indy 5 is a prequel, set about 5 years before, no Mutt, no Marion, dye Harrisons hair a little so its more coloured (not Raiders coloured but more a hybrid of LC and KOTCS since he was greying in LC) . I think this would work great for many reasons:

bad idea,they shouldn't pretend Indy is younger when harrison is clearly 65,in kotcs you didnt see him trying to act to be in his 20's because he didn't take himself seriously(in a good way of course).i still think he was about the only good thing about indy 4,but man there were so many scenes where i was like "how could Harrison go through with this crap?" i really hope its not because $$, because i dont think of Harrison as a very greedy guy who really needs money,I know he really wanted to be Indy again,its too bad george postponed the movie so long and put Indy in such an un-indy story,i mean sure you got marion you got indy and you the great got john williams classic score,and Spielberg,but it's like damn man,the story is too hammy/campy.The wedding scene really grinded my gears in many ways,i mean come on dude we see Indy as a ladies man like Bond,he's not supposed to get married,he doesn't have time for love,if anything they should have just had Indy and Marion have a scene where they kiss and the camera should zoom out showing them in the scenery with the sunset and ended it there.Mac,Oxley and Mutt were very much not needed i felt there was a character overload at times like when all those guys followed indy,its like "dude if they must,put marion in there with Indy, but Indy should have done half the stuff he did with that whole group,alone in that movie...all in all they needed a hell of alot better story and mcguffin,and less input from lucas,and more from Kasdan,who i think should've written Indy 4,Marion should've been written in as a Marion that actually does more than smile and drive a duck boat and whine at indy about their love life,Steven should have taken more control of the project as a Director,they should've used more practical effects and not computer generated,made it about 10 or 11 years ago and it would have built quite a bigger fanbase than it has now,instead we got a dissapointing indy 4 that left us in dissapointment and disbelief(at least for me and others that didn't like it)we didnt get a good old vintage Indy adventure like we deserved after waiting 19 years.sorry to get off topic of Indy V but yeah,i dont think the indy team can repay us with another film after what happened with indy 4,and i really hate to say that about indiana jones man because i wanted so much for this to kick a$$,and even after my first viewing i wanted to love it but i couldn't lie to myself

James

agentsands77 said:
an Indy film where he was more excited about the relationships that were developed than about the finished film.

I believe there's some truth to that- but not the way some are trying to spin it against KOTCS. I think Indiana Jones simply represents territory that Spielberg feels he already covered back in 1981. So if he felt some aloofness towards KOTCS, it was probably no more than what he felt when making TOD or LC.

Instead, much of his motivation does seem to be the experience of having a good time with his friends. And it wouldn't surprise me if he enjoyed this particular reunion more than his time on either of the previous sequels. There certainly appeared to be a greater amount of camaraderie on the set- possibly because everyone had nearly given up hope of ever getting to do it again.

weaponx24

I really hope they do decide to do INDY V, and I hope that they listen to the input from the fans and other critics, and that they go back to the OLD WAY of doing business. I liked some aspects of KOTCS but I can think of numerous ways they could have turned a good movie into a great movie! Insert the usual arguments here...Too much CGI, Cheesey lines, tarzaan scene, etc...

graz

I was just thinking - could Lucas make an Indy film without Speilberg on board? Since it is Lucas's property (as far as I'm aware) I could quite imagine that if he gets another idea, he might well do it with himself or someone else as Director, since he seems determined to just do whatever he feels like these days.

I'm not saying it would be a good idea (Lucas left to his own devices rarely is)
I just wonder if it could happen...