God's Plan

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
John 10 has plenty of sheep who are Christ's followers... and sheep who aren't: "you do not believe because you are not my sheep."

kongisking

AngieAki said:
I have heard many Christians utter the phrase "it's all in god's plan".
When they say this it is usually after something bad happened to try to
make someone feel better.

Okay so if god's plan includes bad things like the death of a loved one,
breaking up with a boy friend/girlfriend, divorce, loss of job, ect. then
it would also include things that Christians consider "sin". Like abortion,
murder, homosexuality, ect.

How can some things be in god's plan but not everything?

Also, the idea of god's plan totally rules out the idea of free will. If
god has everything planned out then how can you make your own decisions.
Then is there sin at all? Because everything good and bad you do or is
happened to you is part of god's plan.

IDK maybe I am missing something here but it just doesn't make any sense.

More proof that Christians and such are constantly tripping over themselves trying to justify bad things happening. Like I've said many times: religion is full of loopholes. Religious people just keep running into them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Drifter

I see what you are talking about. It is a parable that Jesus is speaking, no? Anyway, I like this line he says in verse 11 of that chapter "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."

I am going to leave this topic. I do not want to see this heat up as I fear it will do sooner or later.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
RaideroftheArk said:
Right...by some guy.

Chuckle. Some guy said E=MC squared. Some see it, some don't. From what I've seen, I would say it's easy to lead people around. It's just like leading sheep.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Chuckle. Some guy said E=MC squared. Some see it, some don't. From what I've seen, I would say it's easy to lead people around. It's just like leading sheep.

AngieAki said:
Also, the idea of god's plan totally rules out the idea of free will. If god has everything planned out then how can you make your own decisions.

Who ever said we had free will? Where is that noted, especially in the context of the Bible and God's plans?

RaideroftheArk

Pale Horse said:

Ok...I'll agree with that.

Nurhachi1991

Man I get a kick out of everyone always criticizing Christianity and Catholisms exclusively it must be the new hip thing to do......

Lets look at the flaws in other religions I will start

Buddhism what kind of wacky stuff is that? So Buddha sat under a tree for 20 years and people believe that?

Come on.

WillKill4Food

Moedred said:
The Bible has unfulfilled prophesies, but not a lot of support for predestination (though some like Calvinists believe it). Like in Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken," life's opportunities branch out before us "as way leads on to way." There is no single correct path, but there are certainly wrong ones. God wants us to take the right ones. "I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

No matter how far off track you get, you can still be saved. Karma, however, suggests you might never balance out your sins soon enough.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Nurhachi1991 said:
Let's not. This could only lead to chaos.

Nurhachi1991 said:
Buddhism what kind of wacky stuff is that? So Buddha sat under a tree for 20 years and people believe that?
I am not a Buddhist and I don't see that as a way to salvation, but I learned long ago not to analyze the beliefs of others.

The only theological debates that can occur with any sense of logic concern whether a "God" exists or whether we are alone; by this I mean whether the universe was created/guided by an "invisible hand" or whether everything is just coincidence.
The argument for Christianity is, unfortunately, frail in that it is equal in strength to the argument for any other religion.
You can look at an incident or an object and say that it was guided or created by a "God," but you cannot under any circumstances use logic to decide who created the object, except that it was created by a "God."
Don't get me wrong - I am a Christian.
But I refuse to resume the old argument of my God did this, yours didn't.

While logic can, to some extent, determine if you worship, nothing short of faith can determine who you worship.

[WARNING: THEOLOGY BELOW!!!]

Also, the idea of god's plan totally rules out the idea of free will. If god has everything planned out then how can you make your own decisions?
My understanding has always been that God, being that He is omnipotent, (omniscient, omnipresent, omni-etc.) has, from the beginning of time, known what will transpire and who will turn to Him.
However, He does not force His creations (us) to choose him as a savior, hence free-will.
Thus, He is out of our business unless we pray the "sinner's prayer of salvation" and turn to Him for guidance and salvation.
It is only then that God "interferes" with our lives.
The major way that God does this is through choosing to acknowledge and fulfill our prayers or not.
And it is that decision that adheres to "God's plan."
You see, according to Christianity, there was a time when God's will was being followed through - that'd be in Eden.
But, being that we are mere humans, the first of our kind were greedy and, well, you know the rest of the story.
In an attempt to be like God, they succumbed to temptation and lost their eternal lives and their position in Eden.
By accepting Christ as our Saviour, we acknowledge his glory and grace; and our subsequent prayers are either answered or rejected, depending on whether or not it would be in our best interests and the best interests of our acquaintances.
For instance, you may pray to win the lottery. Obviously, gambling is a sin, but even still, there are other reasons God may not answer your prayer.
Perhaps, another family that really needs the money more should win in your stead.
Or, perhaps, He knows that if you get the money you'll become greedy and selfish and reject Him.
Of course, that's probably a bad example. But I think you understand what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

AngieAki

Nurhachi1991 said:
Man I get a kick out of everyone always criticizing Christianity and Catholisms exclusively it must be the new hip thing to do......

Come on.
Do you even know what Buddhism is about? I don't think I have ever heard this "20 years" story before. Buddha sat under the tree and heavily meditated and didn't leave until he was enlightened.

Here is some stuff on Buddhism, the 4 Noble Truths

1. Suffering

Suffering and frustration come from our difficulty in facing the basic fact of life that everything around us is impermanent and transitory. Rich or poor, average or gifted, all life is subjected to the following: the trauma of birth, the pathology of sickness, the fear of physical and mental degeneration, the phobia of death, karmically to be tied to what one distastes, or to be separated from what one loves. "All things must arise and pass away."

2. Desire

The cause of suffering and frustration occurs because out of ignorance, we divide the perceived world into individual and separate things. The desire to pull apart from the rest of life and seek fulfillment for the separated self, at the expense of all other forms of life, causes suffering to the whole, as Life is One Being. Our duty to our brothers and sisters is to understand them as extensions, other aspects of ourselves, as fellow facets of the same reality.

3. Suffering and Frustration Can Be Ended

If the cause of life?s suffering is those inclinations which tend to continue or increase separativeness, in fact all forms of selfish craving, then its cure lies in the overcoming of such cravings. If we can be released from the narrow limits of self- interest into the vast expanse of universal life, we will be free of our torment.

The overcoming of desire is through substitution of the personal wants with divine inclinations.

4. The Eightfold Path to Enlightenment

The way out of our captivity is through the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment:
Right Understanding leads to Wisdom

Right Aspiration leads to Divine Inclination

Right Speech leads to Truth and Understanding

Right Behavior leads to Goodwill

Right Livelihood leads to Sharing

Right Effort leads to Highest Outcome

Right Mindfulness leads to Purposeful Living

Right Absorbtion leads to Unity

http://www.souledout.org/wesak/storybuddha.html

Nurhachi1991

AngieAki said:
Do you even know what Buddhism is about? I don't think I have ever heard this "20 years" story before. Buddha sat under the tree and heavily meditated and didn't leave until he was enlightened.

Here is some stuff on Buddhism, the 4 Noble Truths

1. Suffering

Suffering and frustration come from our difficulty in facing the basic fact of life that everything around us is impermanent and transitory. Rich or poor, average or gifted, all life is subjected to the following: the trauma of birth, the pathology of sickness, the fear of physical and mental degeneration, the phobia of death, karmically to be tied to what one distastes, or to be separated from what one loves. "All things must arise and pass away."

2. Desire

The cause of suffering and frustration occurs because out of ignorance, we divide the perceived world into individual and separate things. The desire to pull apart from the rest of life and seek fulfillment for the separated self, at the expense of all other forms of life, causes suffering to the whole, as Life is One Being. Our duty to our brothers and sisters is to understand them as extensions, other aspects of ourselves, as fellow facets of the same reality.

3. Suffering and Frustration Can Be Ended

If the cause of life’s suffering is those inclinations which tend to continue or increase separativeness, in fact all forms of selfish craving, then its cure lies in the overcoming of such cravings. If we can be released from the narrow limits of self- interest into the vast expanse of universal life, we will be free of our torment.

The overcoming of desire is through substitution of the personal wants with divine inclinations.

4. The Eightfold Path to Enlightenment

The way out of our captivity is through the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment:
Right Understanding leads to Wisdom

Right Aspiration leads to Divine Inclination

Right Speech leads to Truth and Understanding

Right Behavior leads to Goodwill

Right Livelihood leads to Sharing

Right Effort leads to Highest Outcome

Right Mindfulness leads to Purposeful Living

Right Absorbtion leads to Unity

http://www.souledout.org/wesak/storybuddha.html

So....................... Sounds like something Yoda would tell you! " Luke not ready are you"

Everyone is bagging on Christians and Catholics but they get offended when people make a remark about another religion........ Interesting very interesting

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
So....................... Sounds like something Yoda would tell you so is that a religion now? Here order not there is no try

Everyone is bagging on Christians and Catholics but they get offended when people make a remark about another religion........ Interesting very interesting

That is why I don't say much in threads like this. It's okay for others to bash my faith, but I can't even question theirs or others.

Pale Horse

Staff member
WillKill4Food said:
However, He does not force His creations (us) to choose him as a savior, hence free-will.....

This may be a semantic point, but isn't that Free-Choice, as opposed to Free-Will?

We can't will away evil/sin; but we can choose to avoid our association with sin, to the capacity our sinful nature permit us. Unless you chose the Buddhist path of transcendentalism, of course. ;)

AngieAki

Lonsome_Drifter said:
That is why I don't say much in threads like this. It's okay for others to bash my faith, but I can't even question theirs or others.
I don't care if people question my beliefs.
I don't expect anything less from you.
But if I see someone is ignorantly bashing a religion without even trying to understand then I do say something.
I am trying to understand Christianity.
That is why I ask questions.
I do try to do so with respect also, and I appoligize if I have not.

Nurhachi1991

AngieAki said:
I don't care if people question my beliefs.
I don't expect anything less from you.
But if I see someone is ignorantly bashing a religion without even trying to understand then I do say something.
I am trying to understand Christianity.
That is why I ask questions.
I do try to do so with respect also, and I appoligize if I have not.

Than question other Religions without defending them.........

Most people that bash Christians do not know the first thing about them.

" Feel don't think use your instincts"

AngieAki

Nurhachi1991 said:
Than question other Religions without defending them.........

Most people that bash Christians do not know the first thing about them.

" Feel don't think use your instincts"
I defend the religions that I know and believe in (like Buddhism).
I know about Christianity and what I don't know I question.
What is wrong with that?

Nurhachi1991

What I'm saying is that why does everyone seem to always question Christianity? I don't get it and when someone points out a flaw in another religion everyone gets bent out of shape.

What doesnt make sense about Christianity? It seems pretty straightforward to me.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
What I'm saying is that why does everyone seem to always question Christianity? ...

That's the trouble with truth

Holy Bible said:
But now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham didn't do this.

"you can't handle the truth"....whoops, wrong thread!

AngieAki

Nurhachi1991 said:
What I'm saying is that why does everyone seem to always question Christianity? I don't get it and when someone points out a flaw in another religion everyone gets bent out of shape.

What doesnt make sense about Christianity? It seems pretty straightforward to me.
You didn't point out a flaw in Buddhism, you made an ignorant comment.
Why do you think people should just blindly accept things without thinking about them?
What doesn't make sense? The whole God's plan thing.
Oh and that man is the most important species on Earth.
It is so pretentious.

Nurhachi1991

AngieAki said:
You didn't point out a flaw in Buddhism, you made an ignorant comment.
Why do you think people should just blindly accept things without thinking about them?
What doesn't make sense? The whole God's plan thing.
Oh and that man is the most important species on Earth.
It is so pretentious.

People make ignorant comments all the time about Jesus or Christans or both so who cares if I made one about another religion.

What is there to think about??? Either you accept Christ or you don't it is not that hard.