Indiana Jones 5 logo...

Forbidden Eye

indiana-jones-5-official-logo-december-2020.jpg

This was the logo Disney showed when they “announced” this project on investor day last December.

Before you comment, know this is hardly finalized, and I’m sure it will be altered by the time a poster or a trailer is released.

Still I’m hardly crazy about this logo, and can’t wait to see the classic orange-to-yellow gradient logo that defines Indiana Jones.

emtiem

While this logo is very iconic indeed, it's kind of ironic that it's shown on-screen exactly once: when ToD opens. And even then, it has Willie superimposed over it.
It is brilliant though: I much prefer that to LC and CS being boring and reusing the Raiders opening over and over.

I imagine the logo above may be more for merch etc. rather than the logo for the film itself? I would imagine that would stay as the standard orange/yellow version.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The KotCS teaser poster also had a weird logo but they fixed it for the theatrical version.

AndyLGR

The artist painting the poster, Mark Raats has been teasing little bits of it on twitter.

AndyLGR

Yes I can't work out what that is, if it was THE poster I can't imagine he'd be allowed to be doing that.
Hes tagging Mangold in his various tweets and hes replying to fans like it will be an official poster. So maybe it will be official?

He's only teasing like bits. I think we've seen the pan am plane, some skulls, then what looks like a cathedral or castle painted within Indys hat as he pans down to Indys eyes. He's also shown pictures of props that he must be using for reference too.

IllinoisJack

I find it odd that Disney uses the “official” logo everywhere else but deliberately had this displayed for the announcement.

Maybe a rebrand that’ll be used with spin-off titles.

emtiem

I find it odd that Disney uses the “official” logo everywhere else but deliberately had this displayed for the announcement.

Maybe a rebrand that’ll be used with spin-off titles.
Yeah I think it's probably a general brandmark for the whole series/franchise, whereas separate films/titles will have the more standard 'Indiana Jones and the...' logo treatment we're used to. A bit like how there's a standard Star Wars logo for the whole brand but each film or series ('Rise of Skywalker', 'Mandalorian' etc.) has separate distinct logos.

It looks easier to print so I can imagine it appearing embroidered on clothing labels, on toy packaging etc.

JediJones

I'm almost willing to bet the title of the movie will just be Indiana Jones. That is all the rage now with Halloween, Vacation, Scream, Charlie's Angels, etc., sequels that simply re-use the title of the original movie. In the case of Indiana Jones, there never was a movie called just that, so they have a little more room to get away with it. But the marketing people absolutely love to do this now. What the fans think means nothing. Scream fans hate that Scream V will just be called Scream. But the marketing people don't care what the fans think. They like the title gives out one bold statement without any roman numerals mucking it up.

Nerdpants

I'm almost willing to bet the title of the movie will just be Indiana Jones. That is all the rage now with Halloween, Vacation, Scream, Charlie's Angels, etc., sequels that simply re-use the title of the original movie. In the case of Indiana Jones, there never was a movie called just that, so they have a little more room to get away with it. But the marketing people absolutely love to do this now. What the fans think means nothing. Scream fans hate that Scream V will just be called Scream. But the marketing people don't care what the fans think. They like the title gives out one bold statement without any roman numerals mucking it up.
Hope that does not turn out to be the case. I would be disappointed if it was just called "Indiana Jones".

This happened with the Bourne series. The fifth one was just called "Jason Bourne".

I like the titles of the Indy films to be specific so they can be easily defined. If they just called it Indiana Jones.. it would have no charm.

JediJones

Yeah, and Frank Marshall produced the Bourne movies, including that one. Also, don't forget Mangold's The Wolverine and Logan, which avoided any pulpy subtitles in lieu of the character's code name and real name. And even though X-Men Origins: Wolverine had happened already, being satisfied with throwing the "The" on there in case people just thought of that film as Wolverine.

Nerdpants

So
Yeah, and Frank Marshall produced the Bourne movies, including that one. Also, don't forget Mangold's The Wolverine and Logan, which avoided any pulpy subtitles in lieu of the character's code name and real name. And even though X-Men Origins: Wolverine had happened already, being satisfied with throwing the "The" on there in case people just thought of that film as Wolverine.
So do you think that is what they will do?

JediJones

Yeah. I don't really dislike the idea. I was more annoyed that Lucas renamed it to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, because I considered Indy one of the raiders.

Benefit, the subtitle won't spoil anything about the McGuffin. The last title was a mouthful, and the short, less pulpy title will distance it from KOTCS. It could make the movie seem grittier, which it probably will be under Mangold. A poster with just Indiana Jones on it could look pretty cool and iconic.

And the marketing people will love it and see it as opening the movie up to new audiences, rather than sounding like a sequel. Which, again, seems in Mangold's style, because both his Wolverine movies felt mostly like stand-alone movies from either themselves or the other X-Men movies. And if this movie really feels like a fresh start and a change in tone, under a new director, giving it a title that sounds like a first movie in a series might be appropriate.

Nerdpants

Yeah. I don't really dislike the idea. I was more annoyed that Lucas renamed it to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, because I considered Indy one of the raiders.

Benefit, the subtitle won't spoil anything about the McGuffin. The last title was a mouthful, and the short, less pulpy title will distance it from KOTCS. It could make the movie seem grittier, which it probably will be under Mangold. A poster with just Indiana Jones on it could look pretty cool and iconic.

And the marketing people will love it and see it as opening the movie up to new audiences, rather than sounding like a sequel. Which, again, seems in Mangold's style, because both his Wolverine movies felt mostly like stand-alone movies from either themselves or the other X-Men movies. And if this movie really feels like a fresh start and a change in tone, under a new director, giving it a title that sounds like a first movie in a series might be appropriate.
I think these are all very logical arguments.

... but I don't see them doing it.. I have no evidence to support my position

JediJones

Let's also not forgot Solo...the shortest possible title for that movie other than Han. Granted, that one didn't do so well.

One thing I'm sure of, the title will not be 9 words long again.