Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - discussion about the title

Lance Quazar

Anyone remember this?

They (whomever made this fake poster) nailed the Greek connection but mainly - the colour of the logo, for sure.

I really like the title, too.

FUk426EXwAIFRei.jpg
Picking Greece and Rome as the ancient cultures to put in an Indy film is really just a lucky guess, especially since there are only a handful of major ancient cultures/religions that are good choices that haven't been in an Indy film yet, as the series has covered Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, Egypt (at least tangentially) and the Maya (albeit highly fictionalized.)

The title itself is at least mildly intriguing, if somewhat nonsensical.

ThrowMeTheWhip

No. The logo was floating around in a few official places at that time.
Here it is all the way back in July 2021 and the thread points to it first being shown off the prior December.

I just did some further digging. The fake Elysium poster seems to have originated June 6th 2022 on Twitter, a year and a half after the logo first emerged.

Last edited:

IndianaBones

Here it is all the way back in July 2021 and the thread points to it first being shown off the prior December.

I just did some further digging. The fake Elysium poster seems to have originated June 6th 2022 on Twitter, a year and a half after the logo first emerged.

Ah yes, I completely forgot about that investor day! Was so long ago lol

WilliamBoyd8

The Bay Theatre of Morro Bay, California is the last single-screen, independently owned, first-run movie theater on the Central Coast and is currently showing "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny."

As I waited in line for popcorn, Mary Lou announced to her crew that 78 seats had been filled for that showing, not bad for late on a Sunday. "Indy still brings them in," she said.

News article:

:)

Yure

Do I go see Indy 5 again at the same local (91-year-old!) theater where I saw both Temple of Doom and Last Crusade??

It's a rethorical question, isn't it.

I wish I could, my childhood theaters are now supermarket, restaurants, Chinese "sell everything" shops. The one I saw LC at managed to stay open until Covid :(

I was lucky to grow up in a city (Naples, Italy) that had among the highest theaters density/ratio in Europe. I had 8 within the walking distance of a very happy kid. But almost all of them are now closed, replaced by supermarkets, shops, restaurants.

Lance Quazar

It's a rethorical question, isn't it.

I wish I could, my childhood theaters are now supermarket, restaurants, Chinese "sell everything" shops. The one I saw LC at managed to stay open until Covid :(

I was lucky to grow up in a city (Naples, Italy) that had among the highest theaters density/ratio in Europe. I had 8 within the walking distance of a very happy kid. But almost all of them are now closed, replaced by supermarkets, shops, restaurants.
:(

Randy_Flagg

Nostalgia aside, I definitely prefer modern movie theaters. Better screens, better seats, better sound, etc. A few years ago, I saw a movie at an old theater in Manhattan, and I was actually kind of annoyed that they charged just as much as the newer theaters, despite having cramped (non-reclining) seats, a smaller screen and subpar sound system.

metalinvader

I get it.My childhood theater, The one I saw LC in got demolished and had a Babies R us built over it. The store has also been abandoned for years. Damn shame. It was a great tri screen theater.

Dyland

That’s hilarious. Judging a book by its cover. Absolutely moronic.
That's what graphic design is for! Plus, the title (and, by extension, mcguffin) are the hook that's supposed to get you interested. Instead it did the opposite. It turned me away more than I already was - and I was already on the fence towards not wanting to see it. The title imho doesn't fit with the old films, and the mcguffin sounds unoriginal and unfitting for the series. Again, imho. You may disagree. And that's fine.

But I'm clearly not the only one dragging their feet; just look at the box office return! This is my favorite film series, and it should have been a smash hit! I'm just as sad that it's failing.

The sheer overwhelming disagreement and groupthink response I've gotten (some borderline hostile/mocking) to a simple opinion is honestly a big turn off too - both for watching the film & using the forum. It doesn't create a friendly atmosphere.

I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys anything. But to me, the title seems bad. The reviews aren't encouraging. And the fandom reaction is almost worse than to anything Star Wars as of late. It's like politics. I doubt tensions will calm until all of this is way in the past & set in stone. And by that point, the Indiana Jones franchise will itself be an artifact.

I wanted to offer an opinion from someone who hasn't seen the film yet - and who dislikes the title. (An opinion that seems uncommon here) I wanted to reach out and discuss. Unfortunately that effort seems completely unappreciated. My apologies.

Maybe if enough of you keep re-watching in theaters you can boost those numbers a bit more. As for me, I'm totally sitting this one out. More seats for you guys! ;)

ThrowMeTheWhip

That's what graphic design is for! Plus, the title (and, by extension, mcguffin) are the hook that's supposed to get you interested. Instead it did the opposite. It turned me away more than I already was - and I was already on the fence towards not wanting to see it. The title imho doesn't fit with the old films, and the mcguffin sounds unoriginal and unfitting for the series. Again, imho. You may disagree. And that's fine.

But I'm clearly not the only one dragging their feet; just look at the box office return! This is my favorite film series, and it should have been a smash hit! I'm just as sad that it's failing.

The sheer overwhelming disagreement and groupthink response I've gotten (some borderline hostile/mocking) to a simple opinion is honestly a big turn off too - both for watching the film & using the forum. It doesn't create a friendly atmosphere.

I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys anything. But to me, the title seems bad. The reviews aren't encouraging. And the fandom reaction is almost worse than to anything Star Wars as of late. It's like politics. I doubt tensions will calm until all of this is way in the past & set in stone. And by that point, the Indiana Jones franchise will itself be an artifact.

I wanted to offer an opinion from someone who hasn't seen the film yet - and who dislikes the title. (An opinion that seems uncommon here) I wanted to reach out and discuss. Unfortunately that effort seems completely unappreciated. My apologies.

Maybe if enough of you keep re-watching in theaters you can boost those numbers a bit more. As for me, I'm totally sitting this one out. More seats for you guys! ;)
“A simple opinion” based on nothing. You haven’t even seen the damn movie. We call that putting the cart before the horse. We can all agree that’s a stupid thing to do.

DialOfDoom

So literally what is there to discuss then? You’ve formed an opinion but definitely won’t be seeing the movie so… thanks for letting us know i guess?

The movie isn’t failing because it’s bad - it’s alot of fun and you’re absolutely entitled to not love the title of the movie but movies are alot more than just their titles so i’m not really understanding where you’re coming from at all. How sad that you couldn’t just give something new a chance and maybe be surprised and enjoy yourself.