Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Irfaan

About the whole enemy using the Staff and Indy having to disrupt it's powers (like in Empror's Tomb), it would be excellent as well if that was the case, but I doubt it because it was said in an article by a LucasArts staff that it will be part of the gameplay, and I don't think they would put "Staff of Kings" in the title for nothing, I'm sure at one point you will wield it etc.

What would be cool is if the enemy does have it, Indy takes it, uses it and it gets stolen back etcwhich would allow mixed varieties of gameplay.

But yeah, I bet the Staff will be a big part, not just like the last level or anything but from an early level onwards.

Just speculation...as always:rolleyes:

Perhilion

You know...

Once I get past the apparently horrid graphics, I'm actually sort of excited about this game. The artifact has great potential, and so does the story. As someone pointed out, the screenshots do look pretty cool, despite the graphics. Not to mention the bonus Fate of Atlantis and levels from the trilogy. I think this could turn out pretty well.

Irfaan

Perhilion said:
Once I get past the apparently horrid graphics, I'm actually sort of excited about this game. The artifact has great potential, and so does the story. As someone pointed out, the screenshots do look pretty cool, despite the graphics. Not to mention the bonus Fate of Atlantis and levels from the trilogy. I think this could turn out pretty well.

I hope so (and looking forward to it) too. I reckon the storyline is going to be fantastic and important, after all this was meant to be a maxi game like the force unleashed was for the company, and since the story was done ages ago as pre-production, I'm sure all the effort was put into it.

Besides, they are bring Lao Che into the storyline, that's excellent!

Man, underneath the layer under the graphics and gameplay, something fantastic is waiting to emerge!

This summer......................................

Indy's Back!

*everyone cheers*

arrrrghhhhh I'm all excited now! :) I'm gonna go do something Indy related, maybe a match of good old Indy Top Trumps!

*99th POST YAY!*

Insomniac

This certainly has a lot of potential if you look at it on a movie/storyline basis!

I hope Indy only wields it when nessicary and not for the same reason the Nazis wan't it... For death and destruction!:dead:

250px-Moses-Pharaoh.jpg

Favorite pic of the staff in use!

The_Raiders

I know this is alittle off topic, but I wanted to show you all a poster I made, I used the pic of Indy from the nintendo power cover, and used it with my own fan-made Indy title, and I put "May 22" there just for the heck of it. Tell me what you think. :hat:

ForbiddenSouls2.jpg

Irfaan

The_Raiders said:
I know this is alittle off topic, but I wanted to show you all a poster I made, I used the pic of Indy from the nintendo power cover, and used it with my own fan-made Indy title, and I put "May 22" there just for the heck of it. Tell me what you think. :hat:

Love it! Like the Embossing! :D

The title sounds really cool too! I don't know about "cavern" though, but now I'm nitpicking :p

Good work!

*100th Post!* YAY!
Remy's my new avatar! (don't know for how long though, but he's one of my most favourite characters in the Indy Universe!)

lornconner said:
Frankly, because he doesn't know me from Adam.

That said, I have given a lot of thought to the artifact in question. The Staff of Moses presents a lot of unique story/gameplay obstacles, not least of which is the continuity of Raiders itself.

The Staff of Moses was stored in the Ark of the Convenant, along with the Tablets of Law brought down by Moses. When the Ark disappeared, supposedly the tablets and the staff were inside. If we leave that aside, we can examine the staff in the following way:

The staff itself is imbued with many unique powers. In the context of the game, I would imagine that it is tied to the 10 plagues of Egypt. (We need power both great AND terrible, so that it has some use as a weapon).

Of the 10 plagues, 6 of them were performed by Moses or Aaron - 3 each. The other 4 were performed by God without the use of the staff.

The 6 that were performed WITH the staff include:

Aarons Plagues:

1. Blood
2. Frogs
3. Lice

Moses Plagues:

1. Hail and Fire
2. Locusts
3. Darkness

(For those interested, the four plagues performed by God W/O the staff were Beasts, Plague, Boils, and Death)

So we've got a nice list of *nasty* powers to use for the game...this doesn't include the "parting of the waters", the "staff sprouting and producing almonds", "bringing water from rocks", or "changing into a serpent", but those probably wouldn't be all that useful into the context of a game.

That has to lead us to ask...how CAN these powers be useful in a game?

Hail and Fire may be useful...darkness could arguably be as well. But making rivers run as blood? Or a land filled with frogs?

It starts becoming difficult to integrate these themes into a game. A movie? Yes. A book? Sure. Gameplay may be difficult, though.

And all of this leaves aside the points I'm trying to make in the first place:

I'm NOT judging the game based on the screenshots. I'm not juding it on story, yet, either. The fact is, LA isn't really talking about story and that's reason enough to make me nervous.

But that's NOT the point - the point is, LA is breaking promies. They've been doing so for many, many years. That alone isn't the problem.

The problem is the arrogance with which they've done so. Jim Ward spoke many, MANY times about how missing release dates was unacceptable. He talked about how what they were doing with Indy was special, and that they wouldn't release an inferior product.

They have done exactly that - this is not a current-gen release. It's a last-gen release.

And they know they'll get away with it, because many fans will pay money for anything that says "Indiana Jones" on it.

That's all I'm saying. I'm surprised that so many people have a problem with it. This isn't about SOK anymore. It's about the contempt LA treats their customer base with.

Although I enjoyed this analysis I'd like to point out the obvious -

Jim Ward hasn't worked there in some time; new President is formerly from EA.

LA isn't writing an inferior game - they shelved theirs (since they've fired almost everyone that works there). LA is going to be a label that hires outsiders to write and they release. With IJ sales in freefall after the release of the film they probably decided there wasn't enough fan base to support the next-gen platforms (remember - the other platforms were written and completed almost a year ago). Just my best guess.

And finally - LA owes nothing to anyone. Last I checked it is will a democratic/capitolist society we live in (North America). If they don't see the profit in it then they are not going to do it. Am I disappointed? Of course - we all are (read previous 1 million postings in this thread) :(

Best we can hope for it that SOK is a fun game. You all remember fun, right?

At least we still get some kind of IJ game to play - better than the alternative isn't it? I know I didn't much enjoy the last almost 20 years with NO new IJ items to buy (except from Disney Parks). Let's enjoy our renewed time and bask in the fact we can go to the Mall and find IJ on the shelf. It won't last much longer.

Jonesy9906753

im a proud owner of a 360 and am down-right pissed,the amazing graphics of this game wont be able to be fully put to their potential with being released on the psp and wii,etc.

Nurhachi1991

Jonesy9906753 said:
im a proud owner of a 360 and am down-right pissed,the amazing graphics of this game wont be able to be fully put to their potential with being released on the psp and wii,etc.

I'm the proud owner of a PS3,360,Wii,PSP,DS

and I'm not disapointed

This game will pwn

lornconner

I've stated this elsewhere, and I thought I had here as well:

I know Jim Ward is no longer with Lucasarts. Neither is most of the internal production staff. That's not the point.

LA isn't writing an inferior game - they shelved theirs (since they've fired almost everyone that works there). LA is going to be a label that hires outsiders to write and they release. With IJ sales in freefall after the release of the film they probably decided there wasn't enough fan base to support the next-gen platforms (remember - the other platforms were written and completed almost a year ago). Just my best guess.

I'm also fully aware that the other versions have been done for a year. My point goes to something deeper.

You state that LA isn't writing an inferior game, because they've shelved theirs. However, the outsourced titles will certainly be based entirely on whatever it is that LA developed, and LA has the final say in what does go out. As such, they bear responsibility for the story. This close to release, I'd expect them to be playing UP the story angle. They're not. So far all they've shown us is 7 screenshots, and that doesn't fill me with confidence.

And finally - LA owes nothing to anyone. Last I checked it is will a democratic/capitolist society we live in (North America). If they don't see the profit in it then they are not going to do it. Am I disappointed? Of course - we all are (read previous 1 million postings in this thread)

This is the part I take greatest issue with. This IS a democratic/capitalistic society, that's true.

But I'm not interested in doing business with an entity that isn't honest with me. A long time ago, Lucasarts stood for quality. They may not have made a profit, but with the profitability of the OTHER Lucas companies, they could certainly afford to take a loss...and in fact, would have many tax-based reasons to do so. When you consider the critical success and respect that they used to enjoy in the industry, there were numerous reasons to keep the non-profitable arm of the Lucas empire operating as it was.

But that wasn't to be. Instead, LA cancelled products that were pretty much in the can (The Infamous Sam and Max sequels), the Full Throttle sequels, they released an INCOMPLETE PRODUCT (Knights of the Old Republic II) and refused to allow the developer to release a patch that would actually complete the project - and now they've canned their internal project, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings.

I could live with ALL of those things, if it weren't for the arrogance that the company displays while doing so. A prudent company would not boast about how they were going to produce an experience that nobody else could (Jim Ward), and they wouldn't promise something that they weren't going to deliver.

If they had any shame at all, they'd be embarassed. They don't. They understand that thousands of people will purchase this last-generation product because it bears the Indiana Jones name, and they're fine with going back on their word to make their product.

Yes, they can do that. But I find it insulting. Where I'm from, when you say something, you'd better back it up if you want to have a good reputation. I've given Lucasarts 10 years to turn themselves around.

This fiasco is the last straw. I bought an XBox 360 (a platform I didn't even want) and a 42" plasma television, just for this game. I believed that the company was going to deliver, because even up until November, they claimed they were "deep into development on the next-gen version, and they were going to release."

They lied. I'm through paying them to display their contempt for me.

Best we can hope for it that SOK is a fun game. You all remember fun, right?

I certainly do. I mourn it's death with the LA logo. That said, I hope you guys DO find what you're looking for, and it turns out to be a better product than what I fear.

At least we still get some kind of IJ game to play - better than the alternative isn't it?

No, No, NO....most EMPHATICALLY no. If it has the Indiana Jones name on it, I want something special. Fate of Atlantis is still special today - it's NOT about the graphics (although I am still amazed by them, even in this fancy 3d-accelerated age). It's because the game stayed true to the Indiana Jones form, had a rollicking story, and you could tell it was a labor of love.

I DON'T want something that tarnishes the image of Indiana Jones.

Let me frame the argument in a different way; suppose that we compare the next Indiana Jones games release to the release of Indiana Jones IV, when we all wanted a new movie to come out.

Suppose that Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford all gave a press conference in early 2005 and announced "Yes, we're making the new movie. We have a script, we all agree it's really special, and we're making it for the fans. We want to have one last hurrah because it's what the fans really want, and we think we can deliver it in a way that nobody else can."

Then they go dark. Despite legions of the worlds best Hollywood reporters converging on the lots, NOBODY can find anything out about the movie. All anybody will do is say "We're still working on it, and it's going to be released."

Finally, in late 2008, a PR flack comes out and says "We know you're all VERY excited about the movie, and we want you to know it's still in development, but we're not releasing any details about the story today. We WILL tell you that it will be our first release in Blu-Ray, so cinemaphiles will want to upgrade to the latest DVD standard to enjoy this movie upon its release."

Then the movie comes out. You find out they've decided to recast Harrison Ford with Sean Patrick Flannery (Hey, it takes place in an earlier timeline!)

You're irritated, but despite it all...somehow the story *sorta* works. It's not a masterpiece, and it's not as good as the other films...but hey, it's Indy, right? You'll at least get it to complete the collection.

Then they tell you "We've decided we're only going to release this movie on VHS."

Are you still OK with this? Or do you think maybe they owed you what they promised, after you bought that nice new Blu-Ray player?

lornconner said:
I've stated this elsewhere, and I thought I had here as well:

I know Jim Ward is no longer with Lucasarts. Neither is most of the internal production staff. That's not the point.

I'm also fully aware that the other versions have been done for a year. My point goes to something deeper.

You state that LA isn't writing an inferior game, because they've shelved theirs. However, the outsourced titles will certainly be based entirely on whatever it is that LA developed, and LA has the final say in what does go out. As such, they bear responsibility for the story. This close to release, I'd expect them to be playing UP the story angle. They're not. So far all they've shown us is 7 screenshots, and that doesn't fill me with confidence.

This is the part I take greatest issue with. This IS a democratic/capitalistic society, that's true.

But I'm not interested in doing business with an entity that isn't honest with me. A long time ago, Lucasarts stood for quality. They may not have made a profit, but with the profitability of the OTHER Lucas companies, they could certainly afford to take a loss...and in fact, would have many tax-based reasons to do so. When you consider the critical success and respect that they used to enjoy in the industry, there were numerous reasons to keep the non-profitable arm of the Lucas empire operating as it was.

But that wasn't to be. Instead, LA cancelled products that were pretty much in the can (The Infamous Sam and Max sequels), the Full Throttle sequels, they released an INCOMPLETE PRODUCT (Knights of the Old Republic II) and refused to allow the developer to release a patch that would actually complete the project - and now they've canned their internal project, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings.

I could live with ALL of those things, if it weren't for the arrogance that the company displays while doing so. A prudent company would not boast about how they were going to produce an experience that nobody else could (Jim Ward), and they wouldn't promise something that they weren't going to deliver.

If they had any shame at all, they'd be embarassed. They don't. They understand that thousands of people will purchase this last-generation product because it bears the Indiana Jones name, and they're fine with going back on their word to make their product.

Yes, they can do that. But I find it insulting. Where I'm from, when you say something, you'd better back it up if you want to have a good reputation. I've given Lucasarts 10 years to turn themselves around.

This fiasco is the last straw. I bought an XBox 360 (a platform I didn't even want) and a 42" plasma television, just for this game. I believed that the company was going to deliver, because even up until November, they claimed they were "deep into development on the next-gen version, and they were going to release."

They lied. I'm through paying them to display their contempt for me.

I certainly do. I mourn it's death with the LA logo. That said, I hope you guys DO find what you're looking for, and it turns out to be a better product than what I fear.

No, No, NO....most EMPHATICALLY no. If it has the Indiana Jones name on it, I want something special. Fate of Atlantis is still special today - it's NOT about the graphics (although I am still amazed by them, even in this fancy 3d-accelerated age). It's because the game stayed true to the Indiana Jones form, had a rollicking story, and you could tell it was a labor of love.

I DON'T want something that tarnishes the image of Indiana Jones.

Let me frame the argument in a different way; suppose that we compare the next Indiana Jones games release to the release of Indiana Jones IV, when we all wanted a new movie to come out.

Suppose that Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford all gave a press conference in early 2005 and announced "Yes, we're making the new movie. We have a script, we all agree it's really special, and we're making it for the fans. We want to have one last hurrah because it's what the fans really want, and we think we can deliver it in a way that nobody else can."

Then they go dark. Despite legions of the worlds best Hollywood reporters converging on the lots, NOBODY can find anything out about the movie. All anybody will do is say "We're still working on it, and it's going to be released."

Finally, in late 2008, a PR flack comes out and says "We know you're all VERY excited about the movie, and we want you to know it's still in development, but we're not releasing any details about the story today. We WILL tell you that it will be our first release in Blu-Ray, so cinemaphiles will want to upgrade to the latest DVD standard to enjoy this movie upon its release."

Then the movie comes out. You find out they've decided to recast Harrison Ford with Sean Patrick Flannery (Hey, it takes place in an earlier timeline!)

You're irritated, but despite it all...somehow the story *sorta* works. It's not a masterpiece, and it's not as good as the other films...but hey, it's Indy, right? You'll at least get it to complete the collection.

Then they tell you "We've decided we're only going to release this movie on VHS."

Are you still OK with this? Or do you think maybe they owed you what they promised, after you bought that nice new Blu-Ray player?

I disagree with NONE of the above - it is a huge disappointment that the advertised game (promised isn't really correct) has changed from the original specs. But you keep talking about the LucasArts that used to win awards and make amazing games (Monkey Island, Secret Weapons Luftwaffe, Loom, Night Shift, etc). I know them well. I used to own a chain of software stores that worked with and sold those titles in the Eighties. Huge sellers - great titles!

Sad fact - that LucasArts is long dead and buried. When they decided some time back that Star Wars titles were ALL that mattered it was the beginning of the end. They don't know how to do anything else. And even the SW titles of late (except TFU) were all written by 3rd party developers). LucasArts let all their creativity drain away and did nothing to stop it. And we gamers paid the price. And they couldn't wven deliver TFU on time. It was REALLY late. And Jim Ward paid the price for that.

As for buying hardware for software that isn't out - never a good idea. Lots of games get changed -- and canceled. I've seen more than my fair share of things I've seen (hardware like the Intelivison II with keyboard) and software at Consumer Electronic shows and E3's that never materialize. I was going to buy an XBox360 and HD drive to play (and thwart Sony)... good thing I held back a little longer or I'd own some pretty useless hardware.

Does it all suck? Yes! Will debating it and complaining do anything to change it? No. I know enough about Lucas companies to tell you that petitions and forum whining won't even make their radar. And since LucasArts is a company in name only (owned by a very rich man with very deep pockets) .. well you can all figure it out from there.

PM if you'd like to discuss - but I'm done cluttering this board on this topic. I was just try to look for a bright side in negative times and wanted to sprinkle a little hope in our small IJ world. :)

Les

lornconner

Hey Les,

Believe me, I know that buying hardware ahead of software can be a risky gamble. (I owned a Colecovision way back when, so I've been there too)

But frankly, Lucasarts has been stating (all the way back to November) that the game was deep into development and was going to be released. That's even after Jim Ward left. If that's not a promise, I don't know what is.

I don't agree that we can't impact their behavior though. Yes, forum whining and petitions won't get us anywhere. That's where I'm suggesting to hit them where it hurts...in the pocketbook.

You're right that it doesn't normally work. The one tiny thing that gives me hope that it might is that it did once before - back when LA released Obi-Wan. They took a serious beating for it from every corner, and they finally released the product(s) that everybody said they wanted in the first place: Jedi Outcast, and eventually Jedi Academy.

The_Raiders

Irfaan said:
Love it! Like the Embossing! :D

The title sounds really cool too! I don't know about "cavern" though, but now I'm nitpicking :p

Good work!

*100th Post!* YAY!
Remy's my new avatar! (don't know for how long though, but he's one of my most favourite characters in the Indy Universe!)

Thanks! I really apreciate the kind words! :hat:
On the image software I use theres an option called "cartoon" and I can adjust it to look like a movie poster. This took maybe an hour or so to make, it was pretty simple, just time consuming if you want it to look good. ;)