Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

The Tingler

Dammit there were some long posts there! Right...

I hadn't considered the Amalek angle. It states in the bible that while man and Gods will may not align, especially with regards to conflicts - when the people of Israel dealt with attacks such as Amaleks "I am with you." That certainly sparks imaginations of further Wrath of God.

This is from Exodus 17 -
"8 Then Amalek came and fought with Israel at Rephidim. 9 So Moses said to Joshua, ?Choose for us men, and go out and fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.? 10 So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11 Whenever Moses held up his staff, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his staff, Amalek prevailed."

And that picture... I can't actually remember where I found it! On some site about the Staff of Aaron I think.

I hope Indy doesn't get his hands on the Staff, but Tomb Raider's been doing it recently...

Insomniac said:
http://www.indyjones.net/

This site holds a lot of news rumors and ideas that that surround the new game check it out!(y)

Heh, thanks, I run that site! I've been trying to keep everything up-to-date and readable.

Technacly the PS3 is a PS2 with the backwards compatibility and what not.
Not in Europe it's not! Besides, it's cheaper and better to buy the real thing!

As for lornconner... you're right, really.

Unfortunately I'd say every company goes through severely ham-fisted corporate phases (I really hope Pixar don't) where unimaginative uncreative money men are in charge, but it ends eventually. Activision's in one now, but look at EA, who now have lots of genuinely interesting and original titles.

The Prequel years were terrible, but after that LucasArts made right decisions, like only entrusting their licenses to people who knew what they were doing in that genre. Bioware to do an RPG, Raven to do a FPS/3rd-person-swordplay game, ex-Westwood guys to do an RTS, The Collective to do an action/adventure with heavy emphasis on melee combat...

Then they started to screw things up again. Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Armed & Dangerous were rushed out for an Xmas release. Several promising sequels were cancelled. Employees were fired en masse.

Then new employees were hired, and LucasArts seemed on track again. Two major internal releases - a major Star Wars game and the next Indy game - would be backed up by a few interesting releases like Lego Star Wars & Indy games and original titles like Fracture. Everyone was happy.

Unfortunately they hadn't counted on the inexperience of their new teams, and found themselves having to teach these teams how to make games before they even started on the games.

At some point the now dissatisfied and impatient money-men took control again, forced out Jim Ward, and decided this internal development lark was too much trouble than it's worth. To compound it all, Fracture proved a terrible choice for them as poor review scores and glaring similarities to other much better games made it a failure.

I don't doubt that LucasArts will wake up and smell the roses again.

However, I find it interesting that the moment Darrell Rodriguez left EA the company stopped making shovelware and started creating decent games...

indyjones2131 said:
Your message made very little sense.

To you I'm sure...

indyjones2131 said:
I'll assume English is your second language.

You do that, next time I'll compile it before I post it...is hexadecimal adequate?

indyjones2131 said:
Anyway, I'm not gonna repeat myself again on why this is not about graphics, but many many other indicators that point to this game being less than stellar.

THANK YOU! Anything less than stelar is unplayable

indyjones2131 said:
AGAIN, I hope I'm wrong.

You said it Brother!

indyjones2131 said:
As for MY Indy video game? Considering I work in the video game industry and have actual respect for the Indy series and its fans, yeah - my game would be pretty great/better than this is shaping up.

I'm sure it would be, but no matter how good your game would be my game would be better, considering how I own a videogame company. But I'm not going to make one, that's too much like work...

Sorry dude! Sometimes I can't help it...some of the posts and post(ers)give me the Willie's!(Bring out the worst in me), and you're right in one respect, I have to go back and read the previous posts.

The game is probably not going to rise to expectations of all...but there's an outside chance it could be fun anyway. Hell, I still play Tetris and Solitaire!
Speed Tetris and Speed Solitaire...but it's still fun!

:dead:

indyjones2131

Rocket Surgeon said:
To you I'm sure...

You do that, next time I'll compile it before I post it...is hexadecimal adequate?

THANK YOU! Anything less than stelar is unplayable

You said it Brother!

I'm sure it would be, but no matter how good your game would be my game would be better, considering how I own a videogame company. But I'm not going to make one, that's too much like work...

Sorry dude! Sometimes I can't help it...some of the posts and post(ers)give me the Willie's!(Bring out the worst in me), and you're right in one respect, I have to go back and read the previous posts.

The game is probably not going to rise to expectations of all...but there's an outside chance it could be fun anyway. Hell, I still play Tetris and Solitaire!

Tetris? Solitaire? Really? Those are the examples you're gonna use for your argument? Two of the most popular games in history and ones that DON'T at all depend on immersion at least partially to contribute to its overall success?

Sorry, but that argument holds no water.

But I'm tired of talking about it anyway. Do yourself a favor and look at the company who is making this game and their history. Look at the development history of this game (lies, delays, cancellations, etc.). Look at the fact that no in game videos have been released even though we are just months away from release. Look at the facts about the Wii. The review scores for non first party titles average at like 50/100! This is due in no small part to companies who wee the Wii as nothing more than a gimmick and make games that follow suit.

Does this add up to an absolutely terrible Indy game? No. It just doesn't look good and we fans deserve GOOD! Toss in the fact that many of us actually bought next gen systems just to play this game and I'm SURE you can understand is we are less than thrilled about this game at all.

But we sure as hell HOPE it's good.

Jonesy9906753 said:
im a proud owner of a 360 and am down-right pissed,the amazing graphics of this game wont be able to be fully put to their potential with being released on the psp and wii,etc.

Amazing graphics??? lol.

Perhaps we have been seeing a different game. The screenshots for SoK I have seen make the original Tomb Raider look next gen, lol.

RaidersoftheArk

Its good that alomst evryone is still optimistic but i can indentify myself with other true indy fans that lucas arts has kind off screwed their fans. They need loyal fans or they will not get any profit. Im not saying that this Indy game might be bad or good or whatever it's just the little disapointments..the movie gave me a higher impression and did just not live up to the screen caps. It still does not mean that i am very curious for the end product,but it has been a long time since there was such a wonderfull indy game forever..:hat:

indyjones2131 said:
Tetris? Solitaire? Really? Those are the examples you're gonna use for your argument? Two of the most popular games in history and ones that DON'T at all depend on immersion at least partially to contribute to its overall success?

The beauty is, both games being timed and speed is a factor in score, they are BOTH dependant on immersion. Nice try...

indyjones2131 said:
Sorry, but that argument holds no water.

But you hold a lot of hot air...

indyjones2131 said:
But I'm tired of talking about it anyway.

I can tell, oh...you've got more to write, sorry.

indyjones2131 said:
Do yourself a favor and look at the company who is making this game and their history. Look at the development history of this game (lies, delays, cancellations, etc.). Look at the fact that no in game videos have been released even though we are just months away from release. Look at the facts about the Wii. The review scores for non first party titles average at like 50/100! This is due in no small part to companies who wee the Wii as nothing more than a gimmick and make games that follow suit.

You'll get it, rent it, borrow it, but you'll play it. So pull your panties out of your crack and put the cork back up there. Spread your spilled bile once you've played it.

indyjones2131 said:
Does this add up to an absolutely terrible Indy game? No. It just doesn't look good and we fans deserve GOOD!

YOU DESERVE, you deserve...well "Book by it's Cover", you continue on your course so you can pick it apart and say I told you so when you finally do play it. As mentioned get off your ass and show us all what a Stellar Indy game you can make, and I'll pay you $60 bucks for it and it better be for the next gen systems: PS4 and it better make my bed and print money because I DESERVE IT!

indyjones2131 said:
Toss in the fact that many of us actually bought next gen systems just to play this game and I'm SURE you can understand is we are less than thrilled about this game at all.

You bought a next gen system to play a game that hasn't been produced yet?
Nice...Do yourself a favor, don't give advice to anyone.

Who do you like in the second race, the Number 4 horse? Eh! (scratch).
You have a brother? I figure it runs in the blood!

IOIO IIOI IOII IIII OIOI...ah screw it!

Last edited:

The Tingler

Hey hey hey, calm down guys, keep it friendly.

I think the 360/PS3 version's cancellation came quite late, which is why we only got that teaser video now. Now that LucasArts have made the decision, we're sure to get a lot. The game's done, we're just waiting for LucasArts to sneak in some marketing, make copies, let magazines do previews and such, then they'll release it.

We'll have gameplay videos shortly, then we can judge it properly.

indyjones2131

Look, you can disagree with me if you want to ...it's OK!, but this is a forum for discussing this game, and you are just really coming off as petty and immature. You don't seem to realize that.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain I've wasted far too much time talking to you already.

Tingler, I'm starting to wonder if gameplay videos will do much at all to change minds at this point. Sure we'll get a better idea of gameplay and animation, but there are those of us who will be happy to just get an Indy game and those of us who know whatever we do get, despite having the same story and such, will still be lacking certain things that showed a lot of promise. For example, IMMERSION. As in the combination of artistic direction, graphical quality, physics, audio, and polish that allows you to forget that the controller is in your hand. Sure many of us may agree that THIS version of the game is OK, but it's not the AAA, PURDY looking, cutting edge, first party title that we have been looking forward to for so long.

This will always be an outsourced and lesser version of that -just by definition. It has the Indiana Jones name on it and in my opinion it deserves more. But hey, I know first hand that the video game business is a business. I don't take it personally, but I'm not going to ignore what might have been compared to what is. Part of me wishes I could just blindly look forward to this game without all of the facts messing with my excitement, but looking at the facts I stated in previous posts...

The Tingler

The reason this isn't hitting me as hard as some of you guys, I guess, is not only because I was planning on getting the Wii version anyway, but because I love Indy games and was fully expecting to have to wait until late 2009 at the earliest. While every reason in my mind is screaming at me not to be excited, I can't help it - I am.

Irfaan

The Tingler said:
The reason this isn't hitting me as hard as some of you guys, I guess, is not only because I was planning on getting the Wii version anyway, but because I love Indy games and was fully expecting to have to wait until late 2009 at the earliest. While every reason in my mind is screaming at me not to be excited, I can't help it - I am.

Yeah, same here. It's not everyday you see officially licensed material of Indy hit the stores (especially here in Birmingham :(). I'm still looking forward to purchasing the PSP version, no matter what! I can't wait! Also looking forward to playing the Indy trilogy sequences too, even if I've already done them in LEGO form lol!

The LEGO Indy achievements were sooo fun, I liked how they were all Indy quotes. You can see them here. I've got them all!

indyjones2131 said:
Look, you can disagree with me if you want to ...it's OK!, but this is a forum for discussing this game, and you are just really coming off as petty and immature. You don't seem to realize that.
Anyway, I'm fairly certain I've wasted far too much time talking to you already.

Thanks for your magnanimty, I do disagree and thanks also for your pardon. I'm chiming in on my distaste for the penchant of whining and laments regarding your lack of judgement and pinning it on someone else. I end up reading your post and IT ends up that you blame the game on your purchase of a next gen system. You drew the immaturity line in the sand, I thought I was merely fighting fire with fire...stepping up to the line.

It seems YOU don't understand that.

I did apologize earlier by saying:

Sorry dude! Sometimes I can't help it...some of the posts and posters give me the Willie's!(Bring out the worst in me)...

Sorry if you can't take the heat, I enjoy conflict, it's compelling and tends to drop pretense.

And I will confirm it for you, you are wasting your time, and everyone else's.

EvilDevo

Irfaan said:
The LEGO Indy achievements were sooo fun, I liked how they were all Indy quotes. You can see them here. I've got them all!

Wait a minute, wait a minute...

360 gets achievements, but no trophies for PS3? What's THIS?!?

Or am I just missing something?

Vance

If anyone likes a different console than me, I must hate them all and vent my internet rage all over. Seriously, guys, do you not realize just how incredibly bad you look?

At the end of the day, regardless of the fanboi e***** waving, Lucasarts screwed up the release of this game.. no other way to really say it. Sucks, but that's part of the nature of the business. Get used to it, 'cause there's more hurt to be 'coming from Western developers.

indyjones2131

Rocket Surgeon said:
Thanks for your magnanimty, I do disagree and thanks also for your pardon. I'm chiming in on my distaste for the penchant of whining and laments regarding your lack of judgement and pinning it on someone else. I end up reading your post and IT ends up that you blame the game on your purchase of a next gen system. You drew the immaturity line in the sand, I thought I was merely fighting fire with fire...stepping up to the line.

It seems YOU don't understand that.

I did apologize earlier by saying:

Sorry dude! Sometimes I can't help it...some of the posts and posters give me the Willie's!(Bring out the worst in me)...

Sorry if you can't take the heat, I enjoy conflict, it's compelling and tends to drop pretense.

And I will confirm it for you, you are wasting your time, and everyone else's.

If you meant magnanimity, then you are quite welcome. Aristotle called it the crowning virtue. :)

I just really don't know if you are really dense or just really bored to keep insulting me for having a difference of opinion. If you in fact did read the previous posts, then you would see that several times I stated this game COULD be fun and that I hoped I was wrong in my skepticism. But how can you expect me to be COMPLETELY happy with this game despite having seen what MIGHT have been. Ignoring pure logic such as that makes me think you just want to argue. Which is fine. I can take the HEAT, but I have a very low tolerance for childish behavior and desperate insult slinging.

Also, I don't want an apology, what I would like a good debate. And I'm sorry, but citing puzzle games to prove your point isn't working very well. And how can you say you aren't the least bit disappointed with how this game has turned out compared to what was shown years ago? You can be disappointed that this has become some outsourced budget title, but that doesn't mean you have to hate it.

Are you starting to understand?

indyjones2131 said:
If you meant magnanimity, then you are quite welcome. Aristotle called it the crowning virtue. :)

I just really don't know if you are really dense or just really bored to keep insulting me for having a difference of opinion. If you in fact did read the previous posts, then you would see that several times I stated this game COULD be fun and that I hoped I was wrong in my skepticism. But how can you expect me to be COMPLETELY happy with this game despite having seen what MIGHT have been. Ignoring pure logic such as that makes me think you just want to argue. Which is fine. I can take the HEAT, but I have a very low tolerance for childish behavior and desperate insult slinging.

Also, I don't want an apology, what I would like a good debate. And I'm sorry, but citing puzzle games to prove your point isn't working very well. And how can you say you aren't the least bit disappointed with how this game has turned out compared to what was shown years ago? You can be disappointed that this has become some outsourced budget title, but that doesn't mean you have to hate it.

Are you starting to understand?

Well, a more astute observer might call it sarcasm.
Am I mistaken or were you not being presumptuously arrogant when you employed the vivid description of something you couldn't understand as the writings of someone to whom "English [is] a second language?"

Is this the foundation of a good debate? Fight fire with fire I always say!

You are correct about ONE thing, I do like to argue, and it?s far more engaging than your prattling complaints!

I just really don't know if you are really dense or just really bored to keep insulting me for noting the FUN FACTOR of two games and NOT the style of game play.

Maybe it's just that you're being willfully ignorant, which I agree is unattractive but wildly entertaining reading. More so than your whining about something that hasn't been finished!

I don't expect you to be REMOTELY happy with ANYTHING. I do recognize that you have a very low tolerance for RECEIVING childish behavior and desperate insult slinging, but not DOLING IT OUT.

To your last point, it seems in this day and age that we are fortunate that they didn't just drop it! I am looking forward to judging it based on its own merits ONCE IT'S RELEASED!

I understand, it's a shame you refuse to.

-just my humble opinion!:dead:

lornconner

I just really don't know if you are really dense or just really bored to keep insulting me for noting the FUN FACTOR of two games and NOT the style of game play.

Here's a point that I've been actually considering quite a lot since this debate opened up.

Fun Factor should certainly be King. After all, if the game is fun...what else matters?

However...you probably wouldn't go to see "Tetris:The Movie" would you?

How do we judge the game if it looks OK in motion, has fun puzzles and gameplay, a decent story...but it doesn't feel like Indiana Jones?

Note: I don't think that'll happen in this case - but how does that impact the way you receive the game?

If it doesn't impact YOUR particular viewpoint...can you accept that it might affect others?

To your last point, it seems in this day and age that we are fortunate that they didn't just drop it!

Again...I'm hoping that what IS released ends up being entertaining, and that it actually has a coherent story to hold it all together. But would you have the same sentiment if the game comes out and it doesn't turn out to be good?

I am looking forward to judging it based on its own merits ONCE IT'S RELEASED!

More power to you. I've not been discussing the game specifically (although I did bring up some of the unique problems that come with using the staff as an artifact in a gameplay context).

What I have been expressing displeasure about is the company itself. I suppose that's why straw man arguments get under the skin.

I've heard a lot of people now suggest that I and others like me are "whining" about the game. Not one of them has yet addressed the analogy I gave earlier about the Indiana Jones IV movie release.

Others have suggested we can't have an impact by expressing our opinions and altering our purchase habits. None of these people have addressed the Obi-Wan/Jedi Knight situation that occurred a few years ago - a situation very similar to the one we find ourselves in now, and where customer feedback most certainly DID make a difference.

I understand that our chances of getting the Next-Gen version of THIS game is nil. We won't get it. It's dead as a doornail.

I also understand that any actions we take to try and alter the internal culture at Lucasarts are very small. That doesn't mean it CAN'T happen. It's happened before.

Maybe next time, they'll deliver on their word - and give ALL of the fans what they want.