Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

DocWhiskey

Lambonius said:
Ah, I see--so we're taking "family friendly" to mean "something that families can easily play together" and not "appropriate for all ages?" Because the latter can apply to pretty much any Indy game that's been made, but the former, as you said, really only applies to the Lego version.

That's what I see "family friendly" as. A game where the whole family can play. They said that back in the day when they announced a new Spider-man game. I got all gitty and excited and then they gave us Spider-man: Friend or Foe, a mindless beat'em up with dated cartoony graphics, barely any story, and no redeemable qualities. It was aimed at children/family.

Lego Indy was a good family game. It was simple to control and the puzzles were fun to configure but I don't want my mother to be able to play SoK. I want it to be an actual Indy game.

Nurhachi1991

It seems Doc is the only one that agrees with me.

If the game is *family friendly* we can forget about any gory deaths at the climax of the game and no Swastika's!!!! But you all know my beef with that issue haha

Lambonius

Nurhachi1991 said:
It seems Doc is the only one that agrees with me.

If the game is *family friendly* we can forget about any gory deaths at the climax of the game and no Swastika's!!!! But you all know my beef with that issue haha

No no, I agree with both you guys. I'm just saying that if they were able to make it both "family friendly" AND a deeper adventure (a "true" Indy game, if you will,) I'd still be okay with it. I would LOVE a nice engrossing single-player Indy adventure more than anything else! But if they have to go the "family friendly" route, hopefully they do it well.

Johnny Nys

In never visited this thread, because I thought it would be a next-gen game. Just moments ago I found out it'll be PS2 as well! Now I've got 130 pages to go through; don't think I will though ...

Anyway, I'm excited about this. Usually all interesting new games are PS3 or 360, or PC with outrageous system requirements. Don't have the budget for new hardware, so this is great!

The Tingler

I don't see what's wrong with having something that families can play together. Part of the appeal of the Indy franchise is the fact that people of all ages can enjoy it. LEGO Indiana Jones was a family game and I had a blast with it.

(picked a family friendly quote at random)

The reason we're so worried about the term "family friendly" is that it's usually a code word for "awful". If a game publisher purposefully sets out to make and calls a game "family friendly" it's dumbed down, full of minigames and intended for people who don't play videogames.

The Traveller's Tales Lego games are a big, big exception. I would say they are the only ones. Even stuff like Mario isn't called "family friendly" by Nintendo because it's not. It's for gamers of all ages. There's a difference.

Johnny Nys said:
I never visited this thread, because I thought it would be a next-gen game. Just moments ago I found out it'll be PS2 as well! Now I've got 130 pages to go through; don't think I will though ...

Anyway, I'm excited about this. Usually all interesting new games are PS3 or 360, or PC with outrageous system requirements. Don't have the budget for new hardware, so this is great!

Heh, welcome Johnny! There always was going to be a PS2 version, there's still a massive audience out there for that system. If you don't want to trawl through this thread or the internet for info, I've been collecting all the relevant stuff at IndyJones.net as best I can.

So much worry about a harmless phrase...the game trailer says there's content not suitable for children.

Fate of Atlantis people, as stated before, family friendly and fun.

It's reasonable to guess there will be as much scary sh!t as the movies...that is the ultimate template.

The wait is almost over...will there be blood?

indyjones2131

Game Informer.com has an interview with the team behind SOK, but it's for subscribers only. A guy at work is a subscriber, but for some reason it would not accept his info to let us read the interview. Anyone have access to this interview and want to post some juicy bits from it?

Nurhachi1991

indyjones2131 said:
Game Informer.com has an interview with the team behind SOK, but it's for subscribers only. A guy at work is a subscriber, but for some reason it would not accept his info to let us read the interview. Anyone have access to this interview and want to post some juicy bits from it?

We have top men working on it right now

The Drifter

Here is the interview from GI.

Indiana Jones is back—on the Wii. In the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, players step into the shoes of the fabled adventurer (or his father, in the co-op experience) and travel the world in search of the elusive artifact. Speaking of elusive, the game’s producer, Matt Vella, dodged some of our trickier questions. We did get some interesting info out of him during a recent conversation, though. Read on for the full story.

Game Informer: How would you characterize the balance of combat and exploration in Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings?

Matt Vella: We paced the game very carefully so that it is not too heavy in either area. We want the player to feel like there are a nice variety of things to do, without hitting them over the head with that idea. In other words, we really tried to make sure that the different play styles flowed together naturally through the story.

GI: How much emphasis are you placing on the motion controls? What commands will typically be mapped to buttons, and which ones are tied to performing motions?

Vella: Typically, things that might be too repetitive to be gestures are mapped to buttons, while things that make sense and are fun to be motion based are gestures.

Hand to hand combat is very heavily based on gestures. Use of the whip to grab, disarm, pull enemies off their feet etc. – all gesture based (with a button modifier).

Swinging your fists – all gesture based. You can jab with both hands, do roundhouses with both hands and do an uppercut. Grabbing someone is a button press, while shoving them after is a gesture.

Outside of combat, there are gestures for doing things like lighting a fire, running like hell to escape, duck, steer and more. It makes for quite a satisfying experience.

GI: How are you handling firearms? Does Indy always have access to a gun?

Vella: We are really trying to capture Indy’s personality from the films, and one of the aspects of his personality is that of a reluctant fighter. He only goes for the gun when it’s absolutely necessary to do so. In Staff of Kings, he’s no different. As a player, you only have access to the gun in specific areas. Again we tied it all to the story so that it makes sense, mixes up gameplay, and is intuitive for the player to use.

GI: Is there any gameplay tied to using the titular Staff of Kings, or is the object just an artifact to collect?

Vella: Well you’ll just have to play to find out.

GI: When playing co-op, who will the second player control? Is the co-op mode a separate campaign, or the main story with an additional character?

Vella: Co-op is a separate campaign that we’re calling internally the comic-story mode. When you enter the mode you’re actually selecting a comic from Indy’s desk in his office. It has a unique story line that is outside of the main game as well.

The second character is…Indy’s dad, Henry Jones!

GI: Will we be seeing any returning characters from the films, like Marcus Brody or Sallah?

Vella: Not so much; this is a brand new story with new characters.

GI: What can you tell us about the multiplayer options beyond co-op? Are there competitive modes?

Vella: We’re planning on having two four-player competitive modes, one where you’re flying a plane and another where you’re driving a tank.

GI: Are any actors from the films, like Harrison Ford, doing voicework for the game?

Vella: We are using an awesome sound-alike for Indy.

GI: What will players have to do in order to unlock the Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis bonus game?

Vella: I can’t reveal that at this time.

GI: Apart from the name, what are the similarities between the Wii version and the PS2 and handheld versions of the game?

Vella: The story is essentially the same across all platforms. The way that it is presented is designed to take advantage of the strengths of the different platforms, like stylus navigation and combat on the DS, burst gameplay on the PSP, etc.

GI: With the Wii as the game’s lead platform, what is the status of the previously announced 360 and PS3 versions?

Vella: The next-gen SKUs would not be ready for the 2009 window so we made a strategic business decision to end development on PS3 and Xbox360. Fans will be able to experience an all new adventure with Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings on Wii, DS, PS2 and the PSP June 9, 2009.

((Mods: If this is against the rules to post something like this because you need an account there, please delete this.))

The Tingler

Thanks for that!

GI: How much emphasis are you placing on the motion controls? What commands will typically be mapped to buttons, and which ones are tied to performing motions?

Vella: Typically, things that might be too repetitive to be gestures are mapped to buttons, while things that make sense and are fun to be motion based are gestures

That gives me a bit of confidence, but the rest wasn't really informative. Only two four-player modes?

That last question in particular was pure PR-speak.

DocWhiskey

Good interview, but as I customer who wants to buy the PS2 version, the developer never elaborates on it. The interviewer straight out asks, "So what differences will the Wii version have from the PS2 and handhelds?"

And what does the developer say? He completely skips over the PS2 and goes on about PSP and DS. Are they simply not putting any effort in the PS2 version and don't want to speak of it like the deformed son you keep in the attic?

I have a bad feeling about this.

The Drifter

This is the preview in the newest issue of GI.

Indiana Jones can accomplish the impossible. Outrunning boulders, fighting legions of thugs, and uncovering ancient relics are all in a day's work.
Even though Indy couldn't overcome the odds with his latest film outing, the fedora wearing archaeologist still has a few good adventures left in him, and the next one is right around the corner.
Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings was initially unveiled a few years ago for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but with those versions now cancelled the Wii is taking center stage.

Despite the fact that the game is in development for three other systems, the Wii version of Staff of Kings is the one most gamers will want to check out. This installment seems to have the most interesting exclusive features, including motion controls "Things that might be too repetitive to be gestures are mapped to buttons, while things that make sense and are fun to be motion based are gestures." Says producer Matt Vella.

"Hand-to-hand combat is very heavily based on gestures. Use of the whip to grab, disarm, pull enemies off their feet - those are all gesture based." Other non-combat actions like lighting a fire and steering vehicles, are also handled with motion controls.

Don't worry that all of your time will be spent wiggling the remote and nunchuk around; Indy is a fighter, but he's also an explorer, and the team is working to ensure that both sides of the character come through in gameplay.
"We paced the game very carefully so that it is not too heavy in either area." Vella explains. "We want the player to feel like there are a nice variety of things to do, without hitting them over the head with that idea. In other words, we really tried to make sure that the different plat styles flowed together naturally through the story."

The events of the game take place in 1939, one year after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The single-player campaign follows Indy as he travels the globe searching for the Staff of Moses, but LucasArts will also include competitive and co-op modes.
"Co-op is a separate campaign that we're calling internally the comic-story mode." Vella says "When you enter the mode you're actually selecting a comic from Indy's desk in his office. It has a unique story line that is outside of the main game as well." Fortunately, the second player doesn't need to settle for some second-string hero like Short Round or Satipo for these extra missions; the co-op partner is none other than Indy's dad, Henry Jones Sr.

It may be disappointing that the Wii can't support any Force Unleashed-style material effects in the environments, but the system seems like a natural fit for all the whip-swinging action fans have come to expect from Indy.
Then again, fans aren't expecting much from him after the whole fridge-nuking incident, so hopefully the team at A2M is aiming at a higher mark.

Lambonius

I think it's pretty clear that he didn't mention the PS2 version because it doesn't do anything system-specific, like the others do. I would be willing to bet money that the PS2 version is an identical port of the Wii version, minus motion controls. Clearly the graphics from the screens we've seen are optimized for the PS2 and NOT the more powerful Wii hardware, so it makes perfect sense.

Morning Bell

I'm so tired of these game magazines wasting space bashing KOTCS in their articles instead of focusing solely on the game. I don't know why these people constantly feel the need to work digs at Indy IV into their articles.:rolleyes:

Dr.Jonesy

Morning Bell said:
I'm so tired of these game magazines wasting space bashing KOTCS in their articles instead of focusing solely on the game. I don't know why these people constantly feel the need to work digs at Indy IV into their articles.:rolleyes:

That really pisses me off. That Game Informer article is the only one I've read that has bashed Indy 4 in an article. Usually I like Game Informer, but...

That just grinds my gears.

Lambonius

From Gamespot.com http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/...ngs/news.html?sid=6207405&tag=topslot;thumb;3

Sorry if this has already been posted.

"We get the inside word on the progress of the next Indiana Jones game.

Indiana Jones has more adventures by himself than your average military squadron, and the famous fictional archaeologist is at it again in the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Arriving on the Wii, DS, PSP, and PlayStation 2 later this year, the game will follow Dr. Jones on another globetrotting adventure, this time in search of the titular Staff of Kings. Old-school Indy fans will also appreciate a special treat in the Wii version of the game, which you can read about in our conversation with producer Matt Vella and associate producer Johnny Szary.

GameSpot: When did development on the game begin? How is this game tied to the next-gen Indy game mentioned at E3?

Matt Vella/Johnny Szary: It follows the original story created by LucasArts and mentioned at E3 a couple years ago.

GS: How did you settle on a story and setting?

MV/JS: The story was a collaboration between design and management here at LucasArts. There was a very strong desire to do an original Indy story--something that we could hang our hat on so to speak. The settings just naturally evolve out of the adventure and Indy's quest to find the Staff of Kings.

GS: Did you consciously try to take the movies and games into account?

MV/JS: While the Staff of Kings is an all-original story, we did want to build the game around those truly classic over-the-top adventures that Indy finds himself in around the globe. We do have a few homages to the films strewn throughout the game, so anyone who has seen the movies should get a kick out of them.

GS: Did the platform decisions affect development?

MV/JS: Because we wanted to utilize all of the available features that each of the platforms allows, we went about designing the game from the ground up on the DS, PSP, and Wii while using the same overarching story. This allowed us more freedom to really perfect the gameplay that would make the game stand out on each platform: stylus-based combat on the DS, amazing use of physics-based puzzles on the PSP, elaborate environmental HotSet usage on the PS2, and innovative gesture system for the whip on the Wii.

GS: We haven't heard much about the game's story other than that it's centered around the Staff of Moses and is set in 1939. What can you tell us about the story? Will we see some familiar faces from Indy lore?

MV/JS: The story is done very much in the classic style of Indiana Jones, with Raiders of the Lost Ark as its greatest inspiration. The story received input from both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Indy is chasing down a new nemesis by the name of Magnus Voller, who is hell-bent on getting his hands on the staff before Indy does.

For the single-player game, you'll see all-new characters and faces, which we're really excited about. The co-op mode is actually strung together in a unique storyline, and that is where you'll run into a familiar face.

GS: Who's handling the music?

MV/JS: When you hear the original John Williams music from the Indy films, it just gets your heart racing, so we just had to incorporate those pieces into the game. Additionally, our music supervisor, Jesse Harlin, went to the vaults and found some really great music from the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones TV series that we used as well. Finally, to bring more uniqueness to this story, composers Gordy Haab and Ray Harman created some really great original pieces that have odes to the classic John Williams music.

GS: What locations will the game send players to?

MV/JS: Indy will travel to locations in Sudan, San Francisco, Panama, Istanbul, and Nepal. We're really happy with the variety of the environments; each one offers unique gameplay and ambience. While in those environments the player will do things ranging from exploring temples to having wild shoot-outs with tomb robbers.

GS: How will the game differ between platforms in terms of gameplay?

MV/JS: On the DS the player will use the stylus for navigation, puzzle solving, and combat. Additionally, the microphone is used in both single-player and multiplayer cipher labyrinth gameplay. The PSP utilizes Havok in physics-based environmental challenges where the gameplay can be different each time you play it depending on what you do. On the PS2 you'll be able to use the analog stick to bring whipped enemies in close for a little payback. And on the Wii the player will "be" Indiana Jones by utilizing the gesture system of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. You'll be able to steer vehicles, fly planes, drive tanks, and escape sudden death in a raft. Players will also be able to play co-op with a friend in a separate storyline as well as unlocking two- to four-player versus mode. And last but definitely not least, you are able to unlock the classic Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis game and play it for the first time ever on the Wii platform!

GS: What about content? Will there be any unique content on the different platforms?

MV/JS: Indy explores the catacombs underneath Paris in that DS-exclusive location. On the PSP version the game begins in 1922 when Indy is just a young lad exploring ancient Mayan ruins with a schoolmate who will eventually become his archnemesis. On the Wii version you'll be able to drive a motorbike, fly planes using the Wii Remote like a flight stick, drive tanks, and escape sudden death in a raft by rowing.

GS: How did the inclusion of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis come about for the Wii game?

MV/JS: This idea was brought to us by the developer Artificial Mind and Movement. It seemed like a great fit for the Wii, and of course a natural for bonus content on Staff of Kings, so it was a very easy decision for LucasArts to make. We're really happy with the way it came across, and we feel that gamers will be pleased with the results as well.

GS: Thanks for your time, guys."

The most intriguing part of this interview for me is the statement about the PSP version having a Young Indy level in 1922 where Indy explores Mayan ruins with a schoolmate who will eventually become his nemesis. This sounds exactly like the plot of the never-filmed episode of the Chronicles in which Indy meets Belloq!!

The Tingler

That has been discussed, I'm afraid! :whip:

As I've said before - don't hold out too much hope for the Young Indy segment of the PSP version. It'll probably just be a tutorial level.