Indy in his underpant and sock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegan

I wear socks and underwear around the house because, well, I don’t mean to brag, but I’m a very hot dude. It’s a benefit that’s earned, and Indiana Jones has certainly earned it. He’s a beefcake.

Edit: Also, didn’t we see this dude getting scrubbed down by spacemen while bare naked? Where was your bitching when that happened?

The Man

The sock issue is most intriguing. Why remove one, but not the other? Does it symbolize the character's conflicting psyche? The emotional dichotomy? The aspirational dissonance? Giving up - the bare foot, resigned to sleep, to existential nothingness, while the socked one - hoping an imminent adventure will necessitate him being clothed and ready for action? Word has it that Rob Ager is planning a comprehensive ten*-part video analysis...

*one for each piggy

About clothes…
did you notice that Indy's jacket and shirt collar were creased, not ironed? we feel that Indy is neglecting himself, and that there is no longer a woman in his daily life.

Girl_From_Mars

About clothes…
did you notice that Indy's jacket and shirt collar were creased, not ironed? we feel that Indy is neglecting himself, and that there is no longer a woman in his daily life.
I was too distracted by his bag strap being at a different angle than in Raiders. Mangold has really dropped the ball on this one.

The Man

I was too distracted by his bag strap being at a different angle than in Raiders. Mangold has really dropped the ball on this one.

And what about him falling asleep while the television is switched on and plugged in?! Blatant fire hazard! This man is oblivious, reckless, and a danger to others! PG-13 for this provocative, incendiary filth?! The MPAA needs investigating! No impressionable minor should have the opportunity to witness such flagrant irresponsibility! Sympathy For The Devil indeed! F*ck this and f*ck everything else! 😡😡😡

metalinvader

Dropped the ball?He has no gun belt,No holster.His satchel being on the other side is most likely to balance things out so the other side doesn't look naked.

Keegan

And what about him falling asleep while the television is switched on and plugged in?! Blatant fire hazard! This man is oblivious, reckless, and a danger to others! PG-13 for this provocative, incendiary filth?! The MPAA needs investigating! No impressionable minor should have the opportunity to witness such flagrant irresponsibility! Sympathy For The Devil indeed! F*ck this and f*ck everything else! 😡😡😡
Welcome to Biden’s America!! 😤

Joe Brody

I trust in Mangold but say PercySudgen raises a valid point in questioning whether showing a disorganized and slovenly Indy is disrespectful -- or, in my words, is a 'fair' way to depict Indiana Jones at the end of a long and illustrious career.

I agree with saucerman and fedoraboy's take (posts ##16 & 17) that the narrative intent here is to present Indy as out-of-sorts and disorganized (unhappy even?) at the beginning of the film. Having lived in a pre-War building on the Upper West Side for 9+ years with only two older window units for air conditioning, I don't have much of an issue with the writers having an elderly Indy (living alone?) falling asleep in his chair in his underwear. I say this assuming the film is set at the height of summer in Manhattan (which traps heat like you wouldn't believe in the summer and is a deathtrap without Air Conditioning) and Indy has no air conditioning.

What I do take a bit of an issue with is the overall sloppiness of the apartment. This takes some explaining. I've never agreed with the whole Professor's kid origin story for Indiana Jones. If I wrote it, Indy would've been an orphan Ravenwood found in a Chicago Rail yard trying to steal objects from a crate in a boxcar. All my Indy would know about his origin was that he was from Indiana (btw, the whole dog name is the stupidest part of Indy lore). I say all this to explain that I've always had my vision and concept of the Indiana Jone character -- and my vision, mainly built on his stylish bachelor pad in Raiders -- doesn't accept a slovenly elderly Indy.

Why do I say this?

Even if Indy gets a bit bedraggled on the road and makes-it-up-as-he-goes, he's stylish and has taste, and he's the type that if he's not keeping his residence tidy on his own, he's the type that attracts people who keep things straight for him (from Marcus Brody to his secretary in LC). Going back to my youth, I've been lucky to know impressive people who struck me as Indy-esque. Like Indiana Jones, they had a sense of style and lived a full life. By the time they got to be older, they got more -- and not less -- organized. So while I subscribe to Sick Boy's unifying theory of life (we lose it when we get old), I think the Indiana Jones' of this world keep it together. In my view, my Indiana Jones is more of a 'Scholarship Boy' (reach Hoggard and Rodriguez), and it's important for him to alway present in a certain way, even in his residence.

Also, in New York City you learn to not have food lying around your place or your place is soon cockroach infested.

Last edited:

Billy Ray

I have a legit question. In both this thread and the other addressing Indy's socks. The poster uses "sock", singular. And in the case of this thread "underpant", singular. Just wondering if this is maybe a European way of referring to these garments...or what's the deal? Here in the US, we refer to these as "socks" and "underpants". Just curious.

JoeM

Are they being disrespectful to the character by portraying Indy as an old, fast food eating loser sleeping in his underpant and sock?

I am outraged at the lack of respect. They are laughing at Harrison and he is not aware of it.

😡😡😡
To some, this is an outrage. Whereas to me being an "old, fast food eating loser sleeping in his underpants and sock" is basically my regular weekday morning routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.