Irina Spalko: A Threatening Villain?

The Man

Please, friends, Spalko was nowhere near as hypnotically sexy as Mola Ram. I am a heterosexual male, yet I fully understand why he was voted 'Mr. Tasty Thuggee 1935'. Those lucky crocs, Mola, they do not deserve thee...

Goodsport

Perhaps Irina Spalko would've done better in the movie had her name been spelled correctly in this thread's title. :p

-G

Agent Z

Goodsport said:
Perhaps Irina Spalko would've done better in the movie had her name been spelled correctly in this thread's title. :p

-G

It's a neck and neck race between those who use "Irena" and those who refer to the actress playing her as "Kate"... :p

Benraianajones

I never thought any Indy villians were scary either really.

Cate did say in a brief interview, she relished the part of Irina, she said the part of Irina was "a villian, with a campy wink in a storybook world".

Mola Ram, is probably the evilest, but I think Spalko was really good. I am sure if the movie was darker, they'd have made her even darker she had the potential to be darker, with her psychic power. One of the best scenes is when she is telling Indy of their plans with the skull as he stares in to it.

And I agree Agent Z, she got a lot more involved in the movie than most villians and I think she was very likeable! I, and a few more people I know, were sad to see her death!

She had potential to be a dark villian, they just decided not to make her one. I still really like Irina Spalko though. She worked with Indy, and she wasn't really an evil person anyway - she just wanted to acquire a higher knowledge of life, and literally died for it! Also, it is true, out of the Indy major villans she is the only one that really got her hands dirty. Mola Ram put up a good fight on the bridge though!

Also, yes, the scene where she was hanging on the turret gun, I was glad to see that. I thought it was really fun to see. As sophisticated and cold as she could be, it was great to see her thrown in to obscure and comical situations (like the ants). Even though I didn't like the monkey swing, (or know why monkeys would attack her), I must admit, the moment one runs over her chest and face as she leans back to try and avoid it, makes me laugh!

As for Donovan, I quite liked him.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Thread title changed, both in regards to spelling and otherwise, since this topic is pretty clearly about more than just Spalko.

Of course, I'm throwing in my lot with those who defend Donovan - Glover played the hell out of it, and frankly made it more than it probably would have been on the page.

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
Thread title changed, both in regards to spelling and otherwise, since this topic is pretty clearly about more than just Spalko.

Of course, I'm throwing in my lot with those who defend Donovan - Glover played the hell out of it, and frankly made it more than it probably would have been on the page.

He also popped a cap in Connery's gut - far more excessive than anything violated on a sidekick elsewhere.

bennihana123

I just felt that Spalko was the 'Belloq' of the film, instead of the 'Dietrich'. Belloq is to Dietrich as Donovan is to Vogel as Spalko is to... Dovchenko? Dovchenko was the 'big guy who fights Indy' in this film as well as being the 'Vogel' or 'Dietrich'.

James

nitzsche said:
I also think her psychic powers were something she thought she had more so than actually having them. Indy laughed in her face; she couldn't interact with the Skull. I think the woman was a fraud.

This would certainly be true to the era. The USSR also believed they had superior psychic abilities, but I don't recall it helping them win the Cold War.

Spalko uses her power in her very first scene with Indy. And it doesn't work. So I'm not sure how anyone can complain about her never using it again. They may expand on it in the novel, but in the context of the film, she appears to be slightly deluded.

The Man said:
He also popped a cap in Connery's gut - far more excessive than anything violated on a sidekick elsewhere.

...while standing outside the entrance to the Grail cave- which he truly believed in. Did anyone watching that scene for the first time not immediately think, "Well, the Grail must work." ;)

The Man

James said:
This would certainly be true to the era. The USSR also believed they had superior psychic abilities, but I don't recall it helping them win the Cold War.

Spalko uses her power in her very first scene with Indy. And it doesn't work. So I'm not sure how anyone can complain about her never using it again. They may expand on it in the novel, but in the context of the film, she appears to be slightly deluded.

...while standing outside the entrance to the Grail cave- which he truly believed in. Did anyone watching that scene for the first time not immediately think, "Well, the Grail must work." ;)

Yes, but he did shoot him. If Donovan had successfully chosen the Grail, I doubt Ol' Henry would have gotten his lips on it any time soon...;)

Agent Z

James said:

Well, if you watch how the scene is staged, I think it's obvious that she does have some powers working...some psychic attempt is actually at play. I think she just failed to read Indy, perhaps because he is Indy, or more to the point that once you show her breaking through on the main hero that early in the game, then you open up a whole can of worms to be dealt with throughout the rest of the story.

What would have been more ideal is if we could have seen her read Marion's mind later on in the story, and that could have set up a do-or-die situation with Indy when Spalko's knowledge of his relationship to Mutt is used for leverage, and for the actual reveal of Mutt as Indy's son to the audience. Huge missed opportunity there.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? I adore the goofy drysand pit reveal as well. Sue me.

I agree that the theatrical cut missed out in that respect, but I am betting dollars to donuts (cause I haven't had lunch yet and am starving) that the psychic reveal scene between Irina and Mac was filmed.

James said:

The first time I saw it, I was like "So, he's gonna shoot the old man now to force Indy to get the Grail to......".

The Man

Agent Spalko said:
Sexy, yes. Scary, no. Not even threatening. She's a cartoon caricature of Natasha.

boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

(Mac, Spalko and Dovchenko)

First 'Nuked The Fridge' and now this...

http://www.datelinehollywood.com/dateline_hollywood/2008/05/cate-blanchett.html

Skull sure is providing mucho laughter for the websters.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
bennihana123 said:
I just felt that Spalko was the 'Belloq' of the film, instead of the 'Dietrich'. Belloq is to Dietrich as Donovan is to Vogel as Spalko is to... Dovchenko? Dovchenko was the 'big guy who fights Indy' in this film as well as being the 'Vogel' or 'Dietrich'.

Well, of course, Vogel was also the big guy who fights Indy, so...of course, this begins to suggest some bizarre stuff in terms of who is parallel with who, suggesting that it is not Chatter Lal who is parallel with Vogel but rather the Pat Roach lead Thuggee guard. Does Dietrich than become the odd one out, or does Dietrich then slide into place with Elsa, Chatter Lal, and Mac, with Toht then being the Pat Roach Thuggee/Vogel/Dovchenko? Curious questions, and ones that still omit the German mechanic and all the other big baddy types.

Belloq and Donovan have to use two-bit thugs to do their dirty work. Mola Ram and Spalko aren't afraid to get their hands dirty when their lackeys are lacking to get what they want.