KotCS reviews in media

Skipper

triklops said:
No, I mean in general...people here are bashing EVERY negative review. DOn'tget me wrong...I would LOOOOOVE to see a great Indy..but if it sucks it sucks....this IS possible
I think most of the negative reviews have criticisms that would apply equally to the first 3 films. So it just seems unfair when critics act like KOTCS is a huge disappointment because (1) Indy's not in danger, or (2) there's too much action, or (3) there's not enough introspection.

One new criticism is that there's too much CGI. I guess that's my biggest concern.

Skipper

G-Man said:

"Neither the disaster doom-mongers predicted nor the triumph Spielberg worshippers may claim. New nasties the Russians don?t convey the universal fear of the Nazis and the plotting is so-so, but Shia sails through the Spielbergian thrills and spills and Ford can still crack the whip. Three stars."

This is pretty much the verdict I was hoping for from critics.

davejames

Well if nothing else, at least the movie isn't a disaster like some of us were fearing. I'm rather encouraged by these reviews. At the very worst, it seems like the movie may just be at the same level as ToD and TLC, which isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.

And I also tend to agree more with the mainstream critics than the internet blogger types anyway-- most of whom are a lot more nitpicky and hardcore about scifi than I am.

Dene

triklops said:
How come people welcome EVERY positive review but when it comes to the negative ones all you hear is "They are lying" or stuff like that....???
Because we're Indy fans.

Agent Z

About the EW review...

This is a general comment for those not familiar with EW...

Lisa Schwarzbaum is notorious for her reviews. Most of them are baffling and do not follow conventional wisdom or tastes. I almost always expect her to rate a movie contrary to the masses. She will throw a gold brick in the trash and praise food from a dumpster like it's a grand feast. I think that is her MO...to be different.

I am not spouting, trust me. Read some of the comments to her online reviews...or check out her past archives. She will blow your mind.

Skipper

Agent Z said:
About the EW review...

Lisa Schwarzbaum is notorious for her reviews. Most of them are baffling and do not follow conventional wisdom or tastes.
As soon as I read her review, I told my wife, "Good news! Lisa Schwarzbaum doesn't like it."

Agent Z

I wasn't commenting about Lisa's reaction to Kingdom per se, just making an observation about her funky reviews in general. :p

Falco09

What makes me mad is all the critics referencing The Last Crusade as now needing to be retro title the Not-So-Last Crusude or the Second to Last Crusade. It was approriately titled the Last Crusade because it involves the holy grail, makes references to the ancient religious holy wars, and because it was supposed to be Indy's last adventure. Even though the Last Crusade is not Indy's last adventure now, the title still works.

davejames

Agent Z said:
About the EW review...

This is a general comment for those not familiar with EW...

Lisa Schwarzbaum is notorious for her reviews. Most of them are baffling and do not follow conventional wisdom or tastes. I almost always expect her to rate a movie contrary to the masses. She will throw a gold brick in the trash and praise food from a dumpster like it's a grand feast. I think that is her MO...to be different.

I am not spouting, trust me. Read some of the comments to her online reviews...or check out her past archives. She will blow your mind.

I agree her and the other EW reviewer tend to view movies from a slightly different perspective than most, but I still count them as some of my favorite movie critics anyway. Their reviews are always beautifully written and fascinating to read.

It's also refreshing to see critics who use more than a 6th grade vocabulary in their reviews.