KOTCS up for People's Choice Award

Crusade>Raiders

caats said:
you know why they weren't the joker?? cause they knew everybody was gonna be the joker. last halloween i thought i was gonna be the joker this year, but i realized there was gonna be a bazillion jokers. what do you thinkg people are gonna be hyping it forever?? that's why it's getting a re-release in January, and you know the closer we get to the Oscars, the more we're gonna hear about TDK again.

just cause people have something different to talk about, doesn't mean their opinions have dropped it. the movie still has a 9.1 on imdb

Exactly.

"People aren't talking about the Godfather right now, even though it just got remastered on Blu-Ray, so it must be all hype and not the greatest movie ever". Thats seems to be the basis for this(weak) argument.

Forbidden Eye

Crusade>Raiders said:
Exactly.

"People aren't talking about the Godfather right now, even though it just got remastered on Blu-Ray, so it must be all hype and not the greatest movie ever". Thats seems to be the basis for this(weak) argument.

It would be a weak argument if we were debating the merit of the Oscars, but this is People's Choice Awards, which is voted by, well, people. The ignorant general public which contains people who won't actually touch a movie made before 2003.

When you put that into consideration, that point is worth mentioning.

StoneTriple

MaxPhactor23 said:
Delusions of grandeur
Delusional feelings of one's own power & wealth? - That doesn't apply to this conversation, 3PO.

from a disgruntled Crystal Skull fan.
Kingdom far surpassed my expectations, it became my favorite of the four films (which is saying something since I've been on board since the beginning and thought Raiders would rule forever), it had an awesome soundtrack (to me) that I listen to more than the other three, it reinvigorated my desire to read the novels, and it was the catalyst that pushed me into setting up a proper home theater room.

Disgruntled? - not even remotely.

Perhaps it’s more like you’re just ignoring it, because it‘s far from disappeared. Prefer Crystal Skull you may, to each their own, but blatant lying is laughable.
I'm going only by what I see around me as well as on web forums currently - as compared to several months ago. That's all I can base my observations on.

The Joker was the most popular costume for Halloween.
Didn't see a single one - not any of the kids in my neighborhood, and not any adults in my building at work, or in the downtown area after work that day as people walked and drove to Halloween parties. There may have been plenty, but again, I'm going by what I saw - none.

On a somewhat related note, I did take this picture of the Sony Home Theater HD Display at Sam's about two hours ago. I enjoyed seeing it and watching a few minutes. (Yes, my cell phone camera is in need of replacement).

KingdomHDSams.jpg

MP, I know you dig TDK and I'm well aware that you troll this board - I get that. Really.

My point was that considering the incredible saturation of TDK hype and the claims by fan boys that it was "the greatest film ever made", I expected the buzz to last considerably longer than it has. And I'm just not seeing it.

James

Not this silly debate again. We should all be looking on the bright side instead:

KOTCS gave us the very real possibility of an Indy 5.

And TDK taught us that Vicodin- among other things- does not make you stranger.

Man, that's what's known as "Win/Win".

The Man

James said:
And TDK taught us that Vicodin- among other things- does not make you stranger.

Man, that's what's known as "Win/Win".

Ooh, yes! Overdose jokes! Such levity...

MaxPhactor23

StoneTriple said:
Delusional feelings of one's own power & wealth? - That doesn't apply to this conversation, 3PO.

Kingdom far surpassed my expectations, it became my favorite of the four films (which is saying something since I've been on board since the beginning and thought Raiders would rule forever), it had an awesome soundtrack (to me) that I listen to more than the other three, it reinvigorated my desire to read the novels, and it was the catalyst that pushed me into setting up a proper home theater room.

Disgruntled? - not even remotely.

I'm going only by what I see around me as well as on web forums currently - as compared to several months ago. That's all I can base my observations on.

Didn't see a single one - not any of the kids in my neighborhood, and not any adults in my building at work, or in the downtown area after work that day as people walked and drove to Halloween parties. There may have been plenty, but again, I'm going by what I saw - none.

On a somewhat related note, I did take this picture of the Sony Home Theater HD Display at Sam's about two hours ago. I enjoyed seeing it and watching a few minutes. (Yes, my cell phone camera is in need of replacement).

KingdomHDSams.jpg

MP, I know you dig TDK and I'm well aware that you troll this board - I get that. Really.

My point was that considering the incredible saturation of TDK hype and the claims by fan boys that it was "the greatest film ever made", I expected the buzz to last considerably longer than it has. And I'm just not seeing it.

Well then if you?re arguing the general consensus of Dark Knight, of which my side?s not alone on an Indy board, then Crystal Skull failed by comparison and was vastly undermined by Batman. If Batman was lousy and forgettable in the eyes of the public, then the general public found Crystal Skull a nonexistent abomination. So?ultimately what?s your point? Make Batman look bad??because that only makes Indy look even worse!

If you enjoy Crystal Skull that much, more power to you. Why deny it?s lukewarm reception though? Need I remind, again, of Indy?s mixed reviews, failed action figure line, and South Park belittling? You can?t logically argue that Indiana Jones preformed superiorly. It didn?t and there?s your proof. Even Lego Batman outsold Lego Indiana Jones. Are you afraid to admit you?re essentially alone? I?ve never been frightened to admit my honest opinion, whether I?m vastly outnumbered or not. ?Does it depress you?to know how alone you really are?? Hah! I thought it was a dense and whorish amalgam of clichéd B-movie garbage that completely contradicted the established Indiana Jones formula. You?re entitled to your take. I?m entitled to mine. Because I?m not afraid to speak my opinion of Crystal Skull, and because you happen to not agree with it, doesn?t make me a troll.

Don?t get your panties in an uproar because Batman will inevitably win this battle. You?ll see. And by disgruntled I meant that you seem inarguably in denial about Dark Knight defeating Indiana Jones?s latest mixed reviewed adventure, so much so that you?re willing to actually argue absurd notions like somehow Dark Knights become utterly forgotten about?when there was a positive Joker gag on the pop culture hit The Office about a two weeks ago. Maybe you personally didn?t see Joker?s this Halloween, doesn?t mean they didn?t exist. Arguing that Crystal Skull is more memorable in the public eye then Dark Knight doesn?t make the Batman fans sheep, it?s just the opposite, it makes the Indy fans the livestock. Baah! Yes Master George, I?ll buy the eighth special edition release of Star Wars, then I?ll just off a bridge. And delusions of grandeur does pertain to your dreams of it epically being welcomed. Don?t blame me for your misunderstanding of English phrases. Newflash: Temple of Doom?s been dethroned. It?s considered the new black sheep. Hate to break it to you. Get over it. :gun:

caats

haha, just accept you're a troll. you go out of your way to not just give an opinion (which is fine), but bash the movie with intent to annoy fans. and even try to take pleasure in voting for something else so it'd **** off Skull fans. also, you make up stuff to make a point like saying Lego Batman has sold more than the Indy one. and then you'll throw in minor jabs like "are you afraid of being alone?" which makes no sense, in hopes of getting under his skin. it's a bit sad.

StoneTriple

MaxPhactor23 said:
So?ultimately what?s your point? Make Batman look bad??

Why of course it is, which you can clearly see from all my other anti-TDK posts......oh, wait - there aren't any. I don't troll boards.

If you enjoy Crystal Skull that much, more power to you. Why deny it?s lukewarm reception though?
Because it makes me .....oh wait, I haven't done that either. I don't give two ***** about the box office take or the critical reviews - of any film I like. My self-image isn't formed or affected by other people's acceptence of what I like or dislike.

Need I remind, again, of Indy?s mixed reviews
Which have absolutely zero affect on how I feel about the film - any film.

failed action figure line
Wasn't aware of it, nor do I care.

South Park belittling?
Don't care. I don't watch the show, never have.

You can?t logically argue that Indiana Jones preformed superiorly.
And I haven't.

Lego Batman outsold Lego Indiana Jones.
I'm 47 years old. Legos aren't part of my world, not do their sales affect my self esteem.

Because I?m not afraid to speak my opinion of Crystal Skull, and because you happen to not agree with it, doesn?t make me a troll.
No it doesn't. However, this statement does - "Proud to **** you Skull lovers off. I can?t wait to watch KOTCS get laughed at".

Yes Master George, I?ll buy the eighth special edition release of Star Wars
I own one Star Wars DVD - the theatrical release of Star Wars from 1977. I've not seen any of the SEs, nor will I ever.

Max, I haven't even seen TDK - it's that unimportant to me. It would be impossible for me to trash it.

My original post was a comment on how little I see of the film in popular culture several months after it's release vs the few months prior to it's release. I get how that may seem like a threat to you, or some sort of personal slur, but I can assure you, it wasn't meant to be. I just don't care enough about the film to care.

Truthfully, kid - good luck with whatever it it that's driving you.

MaxPhactor23

caats said:
haha, just accept you're a troll. you go out of your way to not just give an opinion (which is fine), but bash the movie with intent to annoy fans. and even try to take pleasure in voting for something else so it'd **** off Skull fans. also, you make up stuff to make a point like saying Lego Batman has sold more than the Indy one. and then you'll throw in minor jabs like "are you afraid of being alone?" which makes no sense, in hopes of getting under his skin. it's a bit sad.

Nothing’s made up. Lego Batman (The Game) has outsold Lego Indiana Jones (The Game). Look up the sales figures and prepare to concede. The much anticipated Hasbro line of Indiana Jones action figures has already been cancelled just out of it‘s infancy. Sales were that lackluster. We’re missing huge gaps in the line like Toht. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was received especially mixed and the criticism of it everywhere (even on this very board itself) prove it. South Park even began this years new season completely ripping apart Crystal Skull by having George and Steven literally rape Indiana Jones. Youtube it.

The Dark Knight toy line hasn’t been cancelled. It’s still trucking on into 2009, way past it’s prime exposure. Hot Toys created hundred dollar Dark Knight dolls that sell like hotcakes. The Office dedicated one plot point on their Halloween episode to the popularity of the Joker. I think I’ll take their opinion over Joe Blow internet Indy fan boy posting that Dark Knights become forgettable. Sorry but Hollywood has more esteem on what’s hip and now (though that doesn’t necessarily make it cool) then some basement dwelling message board dork. Dark Knight DVD preorders are through the roof. Dark Knight's even got Oscar Buzz! It's in the peoples conciousness, in an overwhelmingly positive majority, then Crystal Skull could ever dream of being.

I love Indiana Jones, but Crystal Skull was more a pathetic ploy for attention if you ask me. The glorified commercial that’s fueled off nothing more then nostalgia and not actual literary merit. If anything, it’s more one of those cheesy reunion specials then it’s ever been a legitimate Indiana Jones film. Whilst I am pleased that it’s introduced a new generation of viewers to the franchise, it’s a poor introduction nonetheless. Hopefully this will act as the gateway that bridges kids to the original trilogy and they’ll become enlightened by their vast superiority. Of course that’s just opinion, but I’m not entirely bitter either. I just thought the film was garbage. Not entirely, but primarily. It fails in comparison to the psychology and intellectuality of Dark Knight, proving once and for all that contemporary prejudice of comic books being immature children’s stuff is a misnomer. Besides, Indiana Jones derives from pulp serials, the bastard brother of the comic book. Claiming anything involving superheroes is somehow inherently of lesser intelligence and literary merit is absurd, particularly when using Indiana Jones as your opposing example. Dark Knights foolproof evidence that superheroes, written properly, can be classified alongside godfather level drama, not just a fun action/adventure - thankfully without aliens.

Once again, look up the facts before you spout off that I’m the one lying. And way I see it, if I'm actually getting under someones skin here...I must be doing something right! :gun: :dead:

Last edited:

James

MaxPhactor23 said:
It fails in comparison to the psychology and intellectuality of Dark Knight, proving once and for all that contemporary prejudice of comic books being immature children?s stuff is a misnomer.

I'm not sure that argument is really being validated by this thread. :D

Forbidden Eye

Can people please stop comparing Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull with The Dark Knight.

They weren't deliberately in competition with each other, and both are completely different projects from completely different franchises with completely different intents, so saying "KOTCS is trash because it isn't TDK!" is a very weak and pathetic argument. The Dark Knight is a beast on its own with one of the biggest hypes in history. No other movie this decade has grossed near as much. So Indy wasn't the most talked about movie of the decade so therefore it's a failure? By that definition, every movie ever released since January 1st, 2000 has failed because it hasn't met the popularity of TDK. Total absurdity.

Getting back on topic, it shouldn't matter who wins "People's Choice Awards" because...well for too many reasons to bother listing. It was just meant for fun, nothing more. But the fact KOTCS was nominated proves it was a very popular film and very well-received movie through-out the world, and while it may not be a favorite movie of a bug majority, it still proves people love Indiana Jones and that most found KOTCS to be a worth installment that was very entertaining and that enough proof that the movie was a success.

I hope Indy does win because it was a great movie that was certainly the most fun I ever had at any movie this year and would love to see Indy get more respect as TDK has gotten more than enough, but if it losses...who the freak cares?

Last edited:

caats

Once again, look up the facts before you spout off that I’m the one lying. And way I see it, if I'm actually getting under someones skin here...I must be doing something right!

i could be reading this wrong, but to me it looks like the Indy game has sold more than the Batman game. which should be the case since Indy has been out longer anyway.
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=lego+batman
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=lego+indiana+jones

you aren't under my skin. i enjoy talking with people like you. trolls are like toys to play with

Last edited:

Darth Vile

I?m not sure why some who want to refute the popularity/quality of KOTCS always seem to revert to the most flimsy of evidence (e.g. game and action figure sales), whilst historically dismissing similar evidence that demonstrates the success of KOTCS???

What does it matter? Clearly both TDK and KOTCS were hugely popular movies... And if one sees TDK?s (in the scheme of things) marginally better box office performance as a victory and a vindication of their dislike of KOTCS, I think that says more about them than it does about the movie?

muttjones

caats said:
i could be reading this wrong, but to me it looks like the Indy game has sold more than the Batman game. which should be the case since Indy has been out longer anyway.
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=lego+batman
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=lego+indiana+jones

you aren't under my skin. i enjoy talking with people like you. trolls are like toys to play with

the reason lego indy has been more popular than lego batman is because lego indy was released alongside kotcs while lego batman was released months after TDK so all the hype and interest has died.

And anyway saying that kotcs is more popular than tdk because its game has sold more is not a valid argument.

I think TDK is a better film but I do enjoy kotcs tremendously and think that it will probably win because indy is more fresh in people's minds than batman.

indyclone25

well i voted on indy in all categories --- i have yet to see the dark knight and most likely won't til after christmas when i get the film for a present.--- i loved iron man tho --- great film , but indy had me this summer and i still watch it once a week.

caats

muttjones said:
the reason lego indy has been more popular than lego batman is because lego indy was released alongside kotcs while lego batman was released months after TDK so all the hype and interest has died.

And anyway saying that kotcs is more popular than tdk because its game has sold more is not a valid argument.

I think TDK is a better film but I do enjoy kotcs tremendously and think that it will probably win because indy is more fresh in people's minds than batman.

yeah i said that. and i only talked about the Lego cause he was spouting saying how even Lego Batman sold more.

The Man

Why has nobody noted how odd - or how telling - it is that Ford is not up for Male Action Star..?

Darth Vile

The Man said:
Why has nobody noted how odd - or how telling - it is that Ford is not up for Male Action Star..?

Having not looked at the site, I wouldn?t know who the other nominees are? but what is the inference, that Ford isn?t nominated because KOTCS was inferior to the other competition??? Even if it were (which I of course wouldn?t agree with), that shouldn?t preclude his strong performance being recognized should it?