new feeling over KOTCS!!!

James said:
I think those "nods" initially hurt the score for a lot of fans. They're so familiar to me, that it's pretty much the only thing I remembered after leaving the theater.

But I now consider the themes for Mutt and Irina to be strong additions to the franchise. And each of the new themes (including the skull's) evoke a great deal of film history between them (ie. swashbucklers; film noir; sci-fi).

See, the Crystal Skull theme, although subtle, worked well for me. I felt it was a nod to the science fiction soundtracks of the time period. I totally bought it and felt vindicated when I heard John Williams make that connection during the documentary.

James

The Professor said:
See, the Crystal Skull theme, although subtle, worked well for me. I felt it was a nod to the science fiction soundtracks of the time period. I totally bought it and felt vindicated when I heard John Williams make that connection during the documentary.

It's the one that took the longest to 'sink in' for me, but I agree with that comparison. I particularly like the way it sneaks into Indy's Akator speech in the diner.

Deckard

Mutt's theme, or the Swashbuckling music, heavily reminded me of Goonies and Hook. Both had Steven on as producer I believe, so I think both were likely Williams scores. I think he borrowed heavily from that for the Jungle Scenes.

I like the "call of the crystal" track which is what I think you guys were talking about, and "whirl through acadame" is great too.

The first 60 seconds of this track are awesome.

http://www.videospider.tv/Videos/Detail/574774901.aspx

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
I gotta say, Ford's performance is pretty immaculate, but I was expecting that. What really stood out (for me) on dvd is how great the score really is! So many nods to the previous films were tastefully included, and it is so much more clean and crisp compared to what I heard in the theater.

James said:
I think those "nods" initially hurt the score for a lot of fans. They're so familiar to me, that it's pretty much the only thing I remembered after leaving the theater.

But I now consider the themes for Mutt and Irina to be strong additions to the franchise. And each of the new themes (including the skull's) evoke a great deal of film history between them (ie. swashbucklers; film noir; sci-fi).

I think the score has been unjustly maligned by some? IMHO ? It?s a really strong score with some great action cues. The themes for Mutt, Spalko and the Skull are as good as anything Williams has previously done for Indiana Jones?. And they sit proudly alongside the likes of ?The Ark Theme?, ?Slave Children?s Crusade?, ?The Keeper of the Grail? etc.

Benraianajones

Irina's theme is great, shame the full thing isn't in the movie, I like the variations too. Such as the quick variation used when Irina holds the skull in the bag close to her, as the camera zooms on to her face as Indy,Mutt, Marion head towards her in the jeep.

Sankara

FILMKRUSC said:
No - never will watch the film again after seeing it in theater once.

That's the best thing you could do... We all should do the same! Indy deserves more than "Skull"... (y)

caats

only giving Crystal Skull one chance is sooooo dumb. especially when it's obvious that most people agree it gets better with each viewing.

Indy's brother

Also, I can't believe I missed the obvious reference to "Journey to The Center of The Earth" at the end. You know, as Team Indy is forced up the stone shaft by the water (instead of lava) and fired out the top. Knowing how the boulder scene and the map room scene in Raiders borrowed heavily from Journey, it was nice to see another nod. Also, when they all fall into the pit at Akator, there was a stone spike in the background that wobbled from the water slapping up against it. Bugged me in the theater every time because it sucked the realism right out of the set. On the dvd, it's gone!:D This change I am certain of.

Wilhelm

I like the visual metaphor of Indy's passport in front of a sand clock in his house (Passing time).

And in Orellana's tomb there is a close up of Mutt with Indy's shadow behind him, another great visual image.

No Ticket

I finally bought it and watched it again and not much has changed of my opinion of it. However...

1.) I'm not as annoyed by the fridge or the tarzan monkey thing anymore. Neither was really THAT big of a deal. Although I still feel the atomic bomb scene was a little over the top... Indy could have just survived all the crazy warehouse stuff (maybe some more thrown in for good measure) and then got away and it wouldn't have been as over the top.

2.) After watching the special features... I was surprised at how much stuff was practical stunts. ESPECIALLY the scene where Indy drives through the crates in the warehouse and the bad guys fly backwards. That was pretty much all real. Crazy.

3.) The score did seem slightly better this go round, although I still can't remember anything in particular from it. It wasn't as poppy/catchy as the other Indiana Jones flicks, it was more subtle. And I'm sorry but I prefer the catchy pop tunes like Escape from Venice or Sherzo for Motorcycle or whatever. It was mainly just moody music.

4.) There was nothing wrong in particular with how they shot it. If anything it seemed like they went one step too far in post production of shots with CGI and made it a little surreal feeling. Like there's this scene of the temple breaking away and I think I liked the shot they showed before the final more, lol.

5.) I think the biggest problem with KOTCS is, after the opening it just is kind of boring. I didn't find the jungle chase scene all that interesting... it was okay. I know it was a very complex chase scene, but it didn't quite hit me like the Tank chase or the truck chase. The ants are okay I guess but I still don't really like them, but I don't really care anymore either. The Akator thing was only okay too. I just wasn't that into it after the warehouse. The opening at "Area 51" is the best part of the film and definitely feels the most like an Indiana Jones movie to me.

6.) I laughed my ass off when Spielberg explained how Lucas came to him and said "What if they're inter dimensional beings!?" and Spielberg is like "oooookay George... so what're they gonna look like?" --- "Well they'll look like aliens, but we'll call them inter dimensional beings." It's almost like Spielberg going, "It's a stupid idea, I know, but that's what George wanted and that's what it took to make the film."

7.) It was definitely not as bad as I remembered it being, but it definitely is still the most boring Indiana Jones movie. I mean I got so bored after Mutt came in, I paused the movie for about 40 minutes while I did something else and came back.

8.) Oh. And I felt like in the graveyard, that really was the best time to do the creepy crawly scene. I think if Indy had accidentally released a trap of scorpions that would've been really cool. It wouldn't have hurt if they had to escape some sort of "booby trap" in there either. I heard they shot some floor that falls away ro something. Well that should have been in the movie I think. That scene is just boring after the long boring scene of talk talk talk talk talk in the prison cell. I mean, in LC they followed all the talk with Rats and fire and a boat chase.

So I still think KOTCS is the worst "Raiders picture" but I don't think it has anything to do with refrigerators. I think the story just wasn't as interesting. It could have been, but I just don't think it was.

I also still don't get why the crystal skull skeletons combine into an alien or why dead aliens need to have a skull returned in order to "come back to life when they combine?" and take off into the space between spaces. The ending is just lame because nobody really has a clue what happened.

I think Harrison Ford is so damn awesome though. He did more of the stunts then I expected! Dang man.

Indy's brother

No Ticket said:
I think Harrison Ford is so damn awesome though. He did more of the stunts then I expected! Dang man.

I am a bigger fan of Indiana Jones than I am of Harrison Ford, if that makes any sense. But after seeing his portrayal of Jones in Skull, I mean, just being able to pull it off after so many years, and giving a more layered performance of jones than before is more than commendable. It's kind of amazing! Ford is on top of his game after so many years of boring film choices. His acting chops are more than adequate for repeat viewings of Skull at home, and a great reason to continue the series. Others that are soured by the Skull experience may disagree, but one uneven installment out of four doesn't mean there isn't any life left in this franchise.

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
I am a bigger fan of Indiana Jones than I am of Harrison Ford, if that makes any sense. But after seeing his portrayal of Jones in Skull, I mean, just being able to pull it off after so many years, and giving a more layered performance of jones than before is more than commendable. It's kind of amazing! Ford is on top of his game after so many years of boring film choices. His acting chops are more than adequate for repeat viewings of Skull at home, and a great reason to continue the series. Others that are soured by the Skull experience may disagree, but one uneven installment out of four doesn't mean there isn't any life left in this franchise.

I think the main reason being (as Spielberg rightly says), Ford is Indiana Jones. Not taking anything away from Ford's acting but, he could eat beans in his hat and jacket and he'd still be the man... :D

StoneTriple

Indy's brother said:
I am a bigger fan of Indiana Jones than I am of Harrison Ford, if that makes any sense.
That's where I am also.

and giving a more layered performance of jones than before is more than commendable.
+1. A much deeper portrayal this time out.

It's kind of amazing! Ford is on top of his game after so many years of boring film choices. His acting chops are more than adequate for repeat viewings of Skull
+1 It's Ford the way I've always remembered him.

one uneven installment out of four doesn't mean there isn't any life left in this franchise.
I agree, but I still watch Temple Of Doom anyway. ;)

Udvarnoky

Indy's brother said:
I am a bigger fan of Indiana Jones than I am of Harrison Ford, if that makes any sense.

I've always felt that Ford was a better actor than a lot of the films he's been in would lead one to believe.

Vance

IndyJess said:
Indy 4 should of been about the lost city of Atlantis, not aliens. :(

Indy's had several Atlantis stories, though... granted, no idea how that's supposed to fit in with 'canon' these days.

metalinvader

Vance said:
Indy's had several Atlantis stories, though... granted, no idea how that's supposed to fit in with 'canon' these days.

I don't know about several but there is the great Fate of Atlantis game/Comic.Ok,Great may be a little too generous when used towards the comic but the game is one of the greatest Indy stories told outside the films.

Though there was mention of Atlantean survivours in one of the earlier Marvel issues (Of course the issues number escapes me...Care to help me out,Stoo?:p) .

Last edited:

James

Indy's brother said:
Ford is on top of his game after so many years of boring film choices.

It really is amazing...especially to watch the filming of those action sequences, and realize he was 65-years-old at the time. I doubt anyone who sat through Hollywood Homicide or Firewall expected him to slip back into the fedora with such ease.

IndyJess said:
Indy 4 should of been about the lost city of Atlantis, not aliens. :(

As many times as I've seen this argument, I'm still not sure how Atlantis is any more believable than aliens. Of course, it's usually followed by someone talking about how much they enjoyed the videogame as a kid. So, maybe that's supposed to lend it more credibility. :D

James

metalinvader said:
Though there was mention of Atlantean survivours in one of the earlier Marvel issues (Of course the issues number escapes me...Care to help me out,Stoo?:p) .

I think it may have been issues #7 and 8.

Ironically, the first cover featured Indy and Marion in the jungle, being menaced by a giant snake. The second cover featured a giant skull as a backdrop, and was subtitled "Crystal Death"!