NO Gun for Indy??? Is it official?

tnswman

Ok...We have seen Indy in about EVERY environment that we know of so far and it's clear that the Gun is NOT a major part of his uniform in Indy 4 UNLESS he uses it in the Jungle / Temple scenes.

However, It could simply be that the photos we have seen do not show him in the final gear.

I truly understand thsi as in the 1950's...we were getting away from the firearm friendly environments.

However, It is sad to see a departure for the character. do you think the fire arm situation is brought on by speilburg and will not be addressed or do you think it will be addressed as a change for the character?

Or, do you think we will see the gun a often as ever?

|ZiR|

I think we'll see it as often as we have in the previous entries. Which is to say, not very.

His gun, to me, has never been a large part of the Indiana Jones image. No where near as much character as, say, his fedora or whip. Heck, I couldn't even tell you if it's the same model gun in all three films. Though I do like the presence of the gun, as it's provided some cool scenes and the occasional bit of humor. And I admit it would certainly feel as if something was missing if Jones' goes through all of KotCS without firing a few rounds. :)gun:)

But I also think it's a tad premature to assume that Indy WON'T be using a gun in the entry.

tnswman

|ZiR| said:
I think we'll see it as often as we have in the previous entries. Which is to say, not very.

His gun, to me, has never been a large part of the Indiana Jones image. No where near as much character as, say, his fedora or whip. Heck, I couldn't even tell you if it's the same model gun in all three films. Though I do like the presence of the gun, as it's provided some cool scenes and the occasional bit of humor. And I admit it would certainly feel as if something was missing if Jones' goes through all of KotCS without firing a few rounds. :)gun:)

But I also think it's a tad premature to assume that Indy WON'T be using a gun in the entry.

No, Not pre-mature a bit.. Remember we are basing it only onthe photos we have seen.

we all know there are THOUSANDS of images we will not see until May.

Also, do not forget the Speilburg feeling on Guns.

Yes, this definitely has me worried. In that profile comic-con poster, Indy doesn't have a gun. And in the comic-con footage, Harrison is decked out in full gear. Whip, bag, hat. It's all there. But he has no gun or even a holster.

|ZiR|

Oh, Spielburg is anti-gun, isn't he? I forgot about that.

Yeah, that's right. He had all the guns in E.T. digitally removed and replaced by walkie-talkies.

I wonder what happened inbetween the time he did E.T., and when he went back and had the guns removed. Gosh, this is the first time I've been worried about "new" Spielburg. I hope he's still up to making an Indy film like he used to.

seasider

If there's gunplay in Crystal Skulls, I'm pretty sure we'll see Indy using one. Why he isn't sporting a piece in the photos we've seen? I have no idea but it would be a tad bit ridiculous to have him take on Soviet military baddies with an S&M whip and Eastwood-like facial expressions. He'll be packing heat, I'm almost certain of that.

As for Spielberg's stand on guns. He is a Democrat who probably believes in gun control but I haven't heard any statement where he emphatically says he's against guns altogether. He removed the guns from E.T because he didn't like the idea of law enforcement aiming guns at children with intent to shoot. That's a lot different than Indy exchanging gunfire with bad guys. If you look at his movies of the last 15 years: Jurassic Park I and II, Schindler's List, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, A.I, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, War of the Worlds, Munich. All of these movies have scenes where guns are featured prominently in varying degrees of violence. So if it turns out that Indy isn't making friends with Smith and Wesson in Indy 4, it won't be because Spielberg has turned into some liberal hippy.

Avilos

I doubt that Harrison would casually be wearing a gun between scenes like any other part of his costume. Even a prop gun that fires blanks is still a weapon. Which I sure is handed over to the Weapons Master on the film to supervise between takes.

Avilos said:
I doubt that Harrison would casually be wearing a gun between scenes like any other part of his costume. Even a prop gun that fires blanks is still a weapon. Which I sure is handed over to the Weapons Master on the film to supervise between takes.

Then explain the whip....

commontone

When did Indy use his gun in Last Crusade? I think only a few times...the boat chase, the tank chase, the "pigeon" scene..maybe one other time. In the Indy movies, the gunfights are more like those in old Westerns. There's a lot of indistinct shooting going on all around, but if you counted how many rounds Indy fired, it probably wasn't more than a few dozen the whole movie. And it seems like he used it the most in LC out of the three.

I predict his gun in Indy 4 will be a S&W K22 Masterpiece. It was a Webley Mark VI in Last Crusade...time to update that one for 1957.

Dr.Sartorius

Indy doesn't use his gun very much in any of the other movies (especially Doom and Crusade) so it won't bother me too much if he doesn't have on in Skull.

Having said that we haven't seen very many on the set photos of Ford in his Indy gear. So it is very possible he does use a gun in the movie. Production lasted upwards of 100 days and we've only seen about maybe 10 photos of Ford in his Indy gear. Also the only time we've seen Ford in the leather jacket is in the Hawaii/New Haven teaser video from the official site.

Michael24

seasider said:
As for Spielberg's stand on guns. He is a Democrat who probably believes in gun control but I haven't heard any statement where he emphatically says he's against guns altogether. He removed the guns from E.T because he didn't like the idea of law enforcement aiming guns at children with intent to shoot. That's a lot different than Indy exchanging gunfire with bad guys. If you look at his movies of the last 15 years: Jurassic Park I and II, Schindler's List, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, A.I, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, War of the Worlds, Munich. All of these movies have scenes where guns are featured prominently in varying degrees of violence. So if it turns out that Indy isn't making friends with Smith and Wesson in Indy 4, it won't be because Spielberg has turned into some liberal hippy.

Funny thing is, Spielberg is reported to have a rather large gun collection.

But I agree, when I think of Indy I think of him cracking that whip more than anything else, but it would feel strange to not see him use a gun even just a little bit in the new film.

effin

he barely used the whip in LC so bring on the whip!!!! and Indy will definately be shooting people!!!!!

Avilos

ResidentAlien said:

Are you F*ing kidding me??? A whip can't go off and accidentally fire like a gun can! A whip is harmless unless intentionally used.

Finn

Staff member
May I remind you all that Indy practically didn't have his piece in ToD either? It's not like he's going to leave to the field without his piece. There could be something happening however that makes him lose it.
ResidentAlien said:
You shouldn't even ask this, you know. But oh well, to amuse you... there're regulations to handling firearms in crowded enviroments. The first and most important is that even if the weapon isn't loaded or is loaded with blanks, it will always be handled as it had live rounds. So no more dilly-dallying with them than necessary. If they have any military instructors as consultants, they can be especially anal about this, as it's one of their standard training protocols as well.

The whip isn't a firearm so the regulations don't apply to it. Besides, the only way you can hurt someone with it is intentionally swinging it. Or have any of you heard of a misfiring whip...?

So there's a perfectly good reason why we don't see any guns on those off-set photos. It's pretty hard to draw any conclusions, as the amount of on-set stills hasn't been exactly plentiful...

<small>Already said in one sentence in the post above, I see. Oh well, repetitio est mater studiorum...</small>

Finn said:
May I remind you all that Indy practically didn't have his piece in ToD either? It's not like he's going to leave to the field without his piece. There could be something happening however that makes him lose it.
You shouldn't even ask this, you know. But oh well, to amuse you... there're regulations to handling firearms in crowded enviroments. The first and most important is that even if the weapon isn't loaded or is loaded with blanks, it will always be handled as it had live rounds. So no more dilly-dallying with them than necessary. If they have any military instructors as consultants, they can be especially anal about this, as it's one of their standard training protocols as well.

The whip isn't a firearm so the regulations don't apply to it. Besides, the only way you can hurt someone with it is intentionally swinging it. Or have any of you heard of a misfiring whip...?

So there's a perfectly good reason why we don't see any guns on those off-set photos. It's pretty hard to draw any conclusions, as the amount of on-set stills hasn't been exactly plentiful...

<small>Already said in one sentence in the post above, I see. Oh well, repetitio est mater studiorum...</small>

So you're to tell me that it's too much trouble to have him put on a holster for a 5 minute publicity video or a publicity poster? Don't buy it...

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
So you're to tell me that it's too much trouble to have him put on a holster for a 5 minute publicity video or a publicity poster? Don't buy it...
Uhh... the gun is THAT integral to the character? If it is, then it makes no sense, I admit that.

Not to mention that I've obviously missed something, because in my mind it's not.

When it comes to iconic things, I think we can all agree that:
Fedora + Ford's face = Indiana Jones
Fedora + Ford's face + Whip = definitely Indiana Jones
Fedora + Ford's face + Whip + Gun = definitely Indiana Jones as well, with a gun.

What I mean to say is that when they took those publicity stills, it may have occured to NO ONE apart from you that Ford needs the gun (or holster) to give us impression it's Indiana Jones.

kongisking

ResidentAlien said:
Yes, this definitely has me worried. In that profile comic-con poster, Indy doesn't have a gun. And in the comic-con footage, Harrison is decked out in full gear. Whip, bag, hat. It's all there. But he has no gun or even a holster.

Full gear??? What happened to the brown leather jacket? You can't be Indy without that! I think you guys are losing your memory...:p :rolleyes: :eek:

DarthLowBudget

Just to remind everyone, Indy lost his gun like ten minutes into ToD, and then spent the rest of the movie without it. It's not like there isn't a precedent.