opening scene

I sincerely don't know what to expect... because Lucas said "the beginning of the movie is also the ending of another adventure" while Frank Marshall previously said that "in the first scenes of this new movie Indy will be retired from adventuring"... :confused:

I have a clear idea on what scene we will see as the opening sequence, but I think I can't write it here, because it's spoiler. In any case... I could even be wrong, obviously.

Professor Jones

The Stranger said:
I sincerely don't know what to expect... because Lucas said "the beginning of the movie is also the ending of another adventure" while Frank Marshall previously said that "in the first scenes of this new movie Indy will be retired from adventuring"... :confused:

Well, the "opening scene" and "the beginning of the movie" doesn't semantically and logically coincide with the "first scenes"... you would say that in the first scenes of Last Crusade Indy escape from his office at the college and meet Walter Donovan who encharges him of the quest of the grail, still you wouldn't be talking about the "opening sequence" or the "beginning" of the movie. ;)

The Stranger said:
I have a clear idea on what scene we will see as the opening sequence, but I think I can't write it here, because it's spoiler. In any case... I could even be wrong, obviously.

Have you posted it somewhere in the spoiler section? I'm curious to read it.

Professor Jones said:
Well, the "opening scene" and "the beginning of the movie" doesn't semantically and logically coincide with the "first scenes"... you would say that in the first scenes of Last Crusade Indy escape from his office at the college and meet Walter Donovan who encharges him of the quest of the grail, still you wouldn't be talking about the "opening sequence" or the "beginning" of the movie. ;)

I think you're right, actually... uhm... LOL!! So maybe I completely missed the point. :D

Professor Jones said:
Have you posted it somewhere in the spoiler section? I'm curious to read it.

Yes, I wrote it somewhere, but now I can't remember exactly where... I'll do a search to find it, then I'll provide a link or something.

Here it is... I found it!! (y)

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=238077#post238077

Look at the reply #79.

Well... ehr... :eek: I didn't post it in the spoiler section. I wrote it last August in one of the threads we were discussing on at that time. The thread was about the "Spielberg's style of film-making" and the influence it will have on the new Indy movie. Then somebody started writing about the possibilities for an opening sequence so I decided to post my idea there.

(FOR THOSE WHO DON'T LIKE SPOILERS: no real need to worry because my post doesn't reveal anything "heavily" spoilerish... I mean, it's an Indiana Jones movie... anyone would expect some specific kinds of action scenes, so... oh, however, if you don't want to risk anything, simply don't click on the link. (y) )

DoomsdayFAN

Weew. Thanks, I wont. Would you be able to disscuss Spielberg's style of filmmaking WITHOUT talking about Indy 4? (No Indy 4 spoiler whatsoever)

ReggieSnake

Attila the Professor said:
Well, no, the example above could give information about the artifact of the film, which actually hasn't been done before, and why it's the sort of thing that might bring Indy out of semi-retirement.

Yeah, looking at it again, I suppose you're right. Must have been tired when I wrote that or something.:sleep:

I still don't think they'd do it though.

oki9Sedo

Presumably the film will open with the climax of another adventure, just like the previous films, set just before the main events of the film.

I find it very, very, very unlikely and very lacking in taste if they have a flashback to young Indy yet again, especially since they would have to use yet ANOTHER actor to play young Indy.

And like Attilla said, its unlikely that the film will open with relevance to the main plot, as that has never been the tradition.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I think the opening might either re-introduce Marion or introduce Mac into the film. Especially since Mac is supposed to be kind of a rival/dodgy mercenary archaeologist and a bit of background in the form of the opening would be pretty cool. An opening with Marion would be a good idea coz of the potential audience which haven't seen Raiders and again, a need to see there's history without refering heavily to Raiders would be for the best.

oki9Sedo

Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade all set up the main story in someway (Belloq's introduced inn Raiders, Temple of Doom introduces Willie, Short Round and goes right into the main story).

Last Crusade is sets up its main story the least, but there is a little bit there: We see young Indy being ignored by his father. The scene is more about telling us how Indy came about rather than setting up anything....so I guess it setting up events to come to a small extent, but is giving interesting insight into a familiar character to a greater extent.

Last edited:

DaveTheHutt

I wouldn't agree - the opening scene defines Indy's distant relationship with his father and his father's obsession with the Grail diary, something that the rest of the film relies upon to work.

Arguably it's more important to the main plot than either ROTLA or TOD's intros, which merely introduce characters - albeit important ones, and in an entertaining way.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
My mum reckons that Mutt's going to be introduced in the opening. It would be interesting especially since he's a new character but how would it work?

Echo22

I think the beginning will introduce Blanchett's character. Maybe LeBeouf's character, as well. But I can't see how they can get away with throwing a Cate Blanchett into the story after the plot unfolds. She's too big a name. I think she'll figure into the beginning somehow. And I see her character showing up again, once the quest begins. Sort of like Belloq.

No Ticket

The beginning adventure is the end of another adventure. That's just the way all Indy's are, is what George meant. And the beginning is not related for the most part to any other part of the story. It may introduce characters however... Belloq, Shorty, Henry Jones Sr., but whatever Indy is after is completely different from the Mcguffin.

Finn

Staff member
No Ticket said:
The beginning adventure is the end of another adventure. That's just the way all Indy's are, is what George meant.
Exactly. What we see in each Indy film is the final conflict of a string of events we never saw. How did Indy come across with the jungle temple location in Raiders? (Well, he had a map, duh, I know.) What booby-trapped chambers he had to dodge to find Nurhachi? How did he end up on the cargo ship in LC? Some questions that were never answered to us but we're bound to know he just didn't stumble upon the leads that led him to these confrontantions. If he did, that'd probably make him the luckiest, not the best treasure hunter ever.

ReggieSnake

Finn said:
Exactly. What we see in each Indy film is the final conflict of a string of events we never saw. How did Indy come across with the jungle temple location in Raiders? (Well, he had a map, duh, I know.) What booby-trapped chambers he had to dodge to find Nurhachi? How did he end up on the cargo ship in LC? Some questions that were never answered to us but we're bound to know he just didn't stumble upon the leads that led him to these confrontantions. If he did, that'd probably make him the luckiest, not the best treasure hunter ever.
Right. You're being injected into the adventure rather than being merely presented with the adventure. I think it also takes advantage of the audience's sensitivity to excitement at the begining of the film; the audience is much more likely to be excited and amazed at the begining of the film, when it is much easier to surrender a little bit of conscientiousness into believing the story. By the end of a movie, especially an action movie, it seems you get a little "desensitized" to the amazement of what is going on, as you are paying close attention to the story and what's going on with the characters.

It also helps to make the movie feel like the episodic serials it is meant to emulate; the guy's whole life is an adventure, but as a member of the audience you get a chance to peak in on a particularly important or exciting adventure.