Paramount Mountain Opening

DARTH ZOIDBERG

If I'm not mistaken the only rights Paramount has is the first 4 films but any future Indy film including Indy 5 Paramount only owns A Marketing share. So I would think like the Star Wars movies we only get a Lucasfilm logo or a Disney Castle dissolves into a castle?

Nerdpants

If I'm not mistaken the only rights Paramount has is the first 4 films but any future Indy film including Indy 5 Paramount only owns A Marketing share. So I would think like the Star Wars movies we only get a Lucasfilm logo or a Disney Castle dissolves into a castle?
Thus does seem more likely than the Iron Man 3 scenario.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

The idea of the Disney Castle merging into that castle with the Nazi banners would be a pretty... um.... daring? bold? idiotic?.... move by Disney. :)
who says we see the Nazi flags in the merge? Mangold Is a creative Director I am sure he can figure it out...

michael

I thought the prairie dog hill in KotCS was fun but people here complained about it so now we don't get a mountain in DoD. (And people complain about that.)

idk, Mangold did forget the 'Location, Year' part. He probably just forgot.

fedoraboy

idk, Mangold did forget the 'Location, Year' part. He probably just forgot.
Nah, it was deliberate. There was more jumping back and forth in this film and the filmmakers probably thought it would just start to get messy. We'd need France 1944, New York 1969, Oxford 1951 then (possibly) Tangiers 1969 then Sicily 214BC and then maybe another New York 1969 - they rightly thought it'd be overload.

Plus, unlike, say, Raiders, this film clearly marks its settings through action and dialogue right from the start. We know we're in WW2 era France/Germany in the prologue, and pretty much the first dialogue in the movie lets us know it's the close of the war - which is all we need to know. We know we're in 1969 NY because of the moon landing parade, we know we're in Oxford 1951 via earlier dialogue ("Oxford, in the garden." and "I haven't seen her in 18 years!") and we know we're in Sicily 214 BC because Indy tells us. So, yes, I can see why some people would like the year markers for series continuity, but the film does an excellent job of letting us know where and when we are, they just aren't needed.

Lance Quazar

I thought the prairie dog hill in KotCS was fun but people here complained about it so now we don't get a mountain in DoD. (And people complain about that.)
You realize that had nothing to do with it, right?

Nah, it was deliberate. There was more jumping back and forth in this film and the filmmakers probably thought it would just start to get messy. We'd need France 1944, New York 1969, Oxford 1951 then (possibly) Tangiers 1969 then Sicily 214BC and then maybe another New York 1969 - they rightly thought it'd be overload.
No, you wouldn't "need" all of those. Other Indy films only had one date/location card, despite the fact that every one took place in multiple locales. They didn't flash multiple cards every time the narrative shifted location.

I'm still (mildly) annoyed DoD killed this tradition.

fedoraboy

No, you wouldn't "need" all of those. Other Indy films only had one date/location card, despite the fact that every one took place in multiple locales. They didn't flash multiple cards every time the narrative shifted location.

I'm still (mildly) annoyed DoD killed this tradition.
Well, the other films set the tradition of always marking a year jump (admittedly it was only Crusade that needed to do this!) so you'd probably need to do it at least once for every time you went to a new year - so at the very least that would mean 1944, 1969, 1951, and there'd certainly be an argument that if you're doing these three, then 214BC would warrant one, too.

TBH, I also think this is part of Mangold doing the film his way, he'd rather let us know time and place through action and story, no on screen text needed. Certainly if you look at the way the 1951 flashback is presented, it's Indy - and then Helena - recollecting an incident from the past (something that the series hasn't really done before) and so inserting a location/year stamp here could seem a bit clunky.

Like you, I'm all for series continuity, so would have been happy to see them included, but I'm fairly certain their exclusion was deliberate and I can understand why they didn't use them.

Lance Quazar

Well, the other films set the tradition of always marking a year jump (admittedly it was only Crusade that needed to do this!)
Sorry, I forgot that LC had two of 'em because of the flashback/time jump!

I would have been fine with one. Or with two. No need for the one during the 1951 flashback, that would have been jarring and unnecessary. Same with during the Siege of Syracuse.

I was not okay with zero!

fedoraboy

Sorry, I forgot that LC had two of 'em because of the flashback/time jump!

I would have been fine with one. Or with two. No need for the one during the 1951 flashback, that would have been jarring and unnecessary. Same with during the Siege of Syracuse.

I was not okay with zero!
I must admit, on that first viewing I missed the full credits at the beginning and the location/year marker - it felt like an unnecessary change to an established formula. If there'd been one for France 1944, then it would have felt weird not having one stating New York 1969. I agree, they might just have got away with these two and not bothered with any subsequent text (though it might have felt odd not having an Oxford 1951).

But I think I understand the reasoning behind their exclusion, and I'm fine with each of the films straying a little bit from established tropes. It still felt like an Indiana Jones film in the ways that mattered.