Phoebe Waller-Bridge

Forbidden Eye

Do we even know what type of character she is even going to play ? Is she even gonna have more than a few lines of dialogues?
Her casting was “announced” alongside official LucasFilm announcements that Harrison Ford and John Williams were returning. So she definitely is going to have a big co-lead role.

My guess is she’ll be playing one of Indy’s students or an intern. I doubt they’ll go the family route because while yes Indy did get around, it would rather be cliche and silly to just keep announcing new offspring with each new movie.

PilotJohnGrant

She's playing Gale Parker and Indy 5 is actually an adaptaion of the acclaimed Martin Caidin novel, Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates.
You heard it here first folks!

Lance Quazar

Not "Tomb Raider looking," but rather how Lucasfilm was apparently offended by the Tomb Raider games. (How it IS kind of just a female Indiana Jones in the present day) to the point where they contemplated lawsuits. Back in the day, at least.
So f-ing what? That has absolutely no bearing on anything related to the current situation at all.

Having a "lead, female adventurer" from Lucasfilm is kind of a slight against the TR series. Just as if they had a new, male adventurer called Nathan would be a slight against Uncharted. Or if I wrote a story about Duke Starrunner and his fight against the evil galactic Kingdom. It's either parody, homage, or insult. And, either way, it probably gives the copyright lawyers something to think about.

That is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Neither Tomb Raider NOR Indy invented the idea of a "lead adventurer" character. You can have an Indy sidekick character who is a woman or come up with a completely new character that broadly fits into the "adventurer" mold without it having **** all to do with Lara Croft. Women are 51% of the population. Are we never to feature them as "adventurer" characters because some obsessive TR nerds will get their knickers in a twist over it? Gimme a friggin' break.

I still don't believe that this is/was a common critique whatsoever about Indy 5 casting.

My guess is she’ll be playing one of Indy’s students or an intern. I doubt they’ll go the family route because while yes Indy did get around, it would rather be cliche and silly to just keep announcing new offspring with each new movie.
Actress is a bit old to be a student or intern. Hopefully she's a colleague or even a competitor. Plenty of possibilities.

Face_Melt

Actress is a bit old to be a student or intern. Hopefully she's a colleague or even a competitor. Plenty of possibilities.
Teacher aid as most college professors will have. Or maybe Indy is the dean now and she took over his old classroom. Both are neat ideas.

Dyland

So f-ing what? That has absolutely no bearing on anything related to the current situation at all.

That is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Neither Tomb Raider NOR Indy invented the idea of a "lead adventurer" character. Women are 51% of the population. Are we never to feature them as "adventurer" characters because some obsessive TR nerds will get their knickers in a twist over it?

I still don't believe that this is/was a common critique whatsoever about Indy 5 casting.

If you don't get it, you don't get it, I guess.

No, being a female and an adventurer does not make you a "Lara Croft rip off." That should go without saying, and I never said that.

I think the previous lawsuits/beef ARE relevant since, from the speculation so far, the character COULD come off as Tomb Raider like. Not saying a definite (actually, the opposite imo), but, we know nothing yet. Why are you so feverously defending a character you and I both know nothing about? This could very well turn out to be all a lot of speculation and worry over nothing. As many have said, she could be a rival, or someone from the College, or related to another Indy character, or anything else. Nothing's been substantially revealed yet. To speculate does not make someone sexist.

And I never said this was a common critique. I just said I saw it a lot. As previously stated, I don't go on social media or peruse the internet for gossip and leaks generally, so there's a strong possibility I only saw a tiny, tiny portion of critics nowhere near indicative of the broader critics at large. I'm just talking from my own experience.

But, I do think comparisons and speculation, especially at this stage, are perfectly fine. If I started comparing characters in other media to Indy, say, Milo from Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a nerdy Indy, Crocodile Dundee was like an Australian Indy, Link from Legend of Zelda is like a younger, fantasy-set Indy, etc. would you still be getting YOUR knickers in a twist?

It's perfectly natural to compare and contrast things. A lot of this controversy/outrage or whatever is unfounded and will likely be proven wrong once the film comes out. But, then again, that's true of nearly all pre-film hype, rumor, and speculation too.

Lance Quazar

If you don't get it, you don't get it, I guess.

No, being a female and an adventurer does not make you a "Lara Croft rip off." That should go without saying, and I never said that.
It's actually exactly what you said. "Having a "lead, female adventurer" from Lucasfilm is kind of a slight against the TR series."

Um, no it's not in any way. There's zero connection and nothing for ANYONE, let alone random keyboard warriors on the internet, to feel "slighted" about, let alone lose your **** over online, which is what you're saying is happening.
Why are you so feverously defending a character you and I both know nothing about? This could very well turn out to be all a lot of speculation and worry over nothing.
I'm not defending the character one bit, I'm criticizing the supposed criticisms about the character and the bad faith arguments which (supposedly) are taking place around her.

To speculate does not make someone sexist.
Of course it can. If your assumptions and preconceptions are sexist. Absurd argument.

Now is it the MOST sexist thing in the world? No. But if you can't possibly conceive of a female character in an Indiana Jones film without "worrying" it's going to a Tomb Raider ripoff, then, well, your worldview is extremely narrow.

But, I do think comparisons and speculation, especially at this stage, are perfectly fine. If I started comparing characters in other media to Indy, say, Milo from Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a nerdy Indy, Crocodile Dundee was like an Australian Indy, Link from Legend of Zelda is like a younger, fantasy-set Indy, etc. would you still be getting YOUR knickers in a twist?
Those would be equally stupid comparisons and I would argue about them on their individual merits (and lack of same.)

Forbidden Eye

Did a quick Google search:

"The average student takes 8.2 years to slog through a PhD program and is 33 years old before earning that top diploma." Given the amount of women who aimed for the Ph.D in comparison to men in that era it's not like early 30s is an absurd length to get that degree.

Besides adults go back to attend college all the time. It wouldn't be like casting Olivia Newton-John as a high schooler.

Face_Melt

Do you think people need 13-14 years of post-graduate work to get a PhD? Obviously, there's wide variability, but millions of PhDs are well under 35.
She could easily be playing a character in her late 20’s. People back then seemed to look older and more mature for their age anyways. Plus Harrison is always years older than Indy in the timeframe he’s playing him.

JediJones

Funny thread title. LOL. Man, do I wish Phoebe Cates would have gotten to do an Indy film.

The suspicion over Phoebe Waller just dovetails with all of the political agendas and social engineering being forced into modern franchise films. She's not just an actress, she's a writer as well. Her series Fleabag is often described as a feminist comedy. Obama named it one of his favorite TV shows in 2019. If she's acting in something, it probably means she'll be contributing to the writing, especially the dialogue. People found her L3-37 annoying, especially the "gags" about wanting "equal rights" and that sort of thing. It's too on the nose and in your face as a political reference. Star Wars under Lucas had subtle references to politics, but rarely anything so overt that it takes you out of the fantasy and reminds you of the real world, when you're just there looking for escapism.

Look at her SNL monologue. She goes for "applause" jokes. Meaning, jokes that take shots at men or push feminist messages that get the audience applauding and cheering at her opinions more than laughing at her jokes. That's the refuge of a lazier, less talented comedian. A real comedian makes us laugh at things that carry no baggage or social relevance whatsoever, like Jerry Seinfeld joking about cotton balls.

Her being hired as a writer on Bond brought up all these same issues. So the discussion about her being hired on Indiana Jones is hardly the fevered rantings of fanboys. Speculation about the influence she'd have on Bond was in the mainstream media, and she was posed questions about it, including by Deadline:

She said to them about Bond: “I think he’s absolutely relevant now. It has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to this character.”

What "treating the women properly" means is up for interpretation. But it's clear to me, that is a feminist goal, not an entertainment goal.

Cue the "You hate women, you woman-hating hate crime committer!" brigades! :rolleyes:

I'm all for her casting if none of those types of ideological messages are put in the movie. I could see her playing an out-for-herself double-crosser better than Alison Doody or Ray Winstone did. But, the safe bet is that you don't hire Phoebe-Waller Bridge if you aren't looking to put a "feminist polish" on your project.

People back then seemed to look older and more mature for their age anyways.
Probably because of all the makeup used now. Remember the joke in Ferris Bueller about Charlie Sheen saying the girl wearing too much makeup looked like a whore? That joke falls flat today, as this kind of overdone makeup is now common.

Benny_Archer

Why the hell are some people *cough* youtubers *cough* acting like every Indy movie didn’t have a woman as the co-star to Indy? Like women in the Indiana Jones franchise is some new idea.

Interestingly enough, the movie that made Indy’s co-star a guy was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. We all know how that turned out…

emtiem

Why the hell are some people *cough* youtubers *cough* acting like every Indy movie didn’t have a woman as the co-star to Indy? Like women in the Indiana Jones franchise is some new idea.

It’s the world we live in sadly; it doesn’t actually have to make sense or be logical, they just complain about any woman or Person of Colour. There are some nasty pieces of work out there.

Interestingly enough, the movie that made Indy’s co-star a guy was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. We all know how that turned out…

Last Crusade, surely?

Ender

FUG4mlsXwAEnHgg

Nerdpants

I think Phoebe has the potential to be a really great side character in this movie.

Dont think the ambition from Disney is to have her replace Indy.

IndyForever

I think Phoebe will be one of the best Indy sidekicks ever! She has great chemistry with Harrison which is always a good sign as he can be a tricky actor to gel with :whip:

NickTurner

I thought the chemistry between Short Round and Indy was phenomenal!

Imagine having a kid as a trusted partner - driving that car with shoe blocks! Also imagine getting THAT past Disney now....

But yeah, it takes a strong character to work with Prof. H. Jones! Looking forward to seeing them in action!