"Sex" too hot for Indiana Jones at box office

Agent Z

Dovchenko said:
Is this a sign that the world is done with Dr. Jones? I think perhaps it is. I would love to see another two Indy films, but I think the U.S. moviegoing audience has spoken...:(

You are being sarcastic?

Indy 4 is, at the very least, a qualified success financially. Very few films in the states command consecutive #1 weeks at the box office. Most of the rush comes in the first week, then the dropoffs begin. This is what happens when one lives in an age of multiplexes (more screens/showings, less waiting) and scores of event films.

Jones_Happens

Agent Z said:
You are being sarcastic?

Indy 4 is, at the very least, a qualified success financially. Very few films in the states command consecutive #1 weeks at the box office. Most of the rush comes in the first week, then the dropoffs begin. This is what happens when one lives in an age of multiplexes (more screens/showings, less waiting) and scores of event films.
Yes, unfortunately my normally sarcastic tone doesn't translate very well to the message board world.

Last weekend's box office blowout was impressive.

Agent Z

Dovchenko said:
Yes, unfortunately my normally sarcastic tone doesn't translate very well to the message board world.

Your sarcastic tone wasn't so bad...it just had the misfortune of meeting up with my half-awake morning brain. ;)

Peacock's-Eye

SATC made mad money because it was the first chick-flic to come out in months + it had a built in audience & a huge promotional campaign. But it did squat compared to Indy's opening weekend take! And Indy almost made as much its second weekend - after raking in even more money Tues-Thurs. I'm not sure what people are squawking about.

The numbers tell me nothing. The Wizard of Oz was a B.O. disappointment, but is a beloved classic now. Ditto other fantasy films like The Dark Crystal, Willow, Labyrinth, The Thief of Bagdad, Greystoke The Legend of Tarzan, Pinnochio etc. Numbers don't 'mean' anything.

In ten years, if people are still enjoying KOtCS, then it will have won its' place in the series. I just watched The Phantom Menace with a couple of kids last week, and after almost a decade, the movie still stands up, and it got torn apart critically. We watched The Secret of NIMH too - that was a B.O. 'disappointment' and got mixed reviews as well. But kids still love it & it's turned out to be an animation classic.

Screw the 'numbers'!
When did movie fans turn into a bunch of bean counters, pitting movies against each other like race horses? Pathetic.

Agent Z

Peacock's-Eye said:
In ten years, if people are still enjoying KOtCS, then it will have won its' place in the series. I just watched The Phantom Menace with a couple of kids last week, and after almost a decade, the movie still stands up, and it got torn apart critically. We watched The Secret of NIMH too - that was a B.O. 'disappointment' and got mixed reviews as well. But kids still love it & it's turned out to be an animation classic.

True, true. In ten years, I can see myself watching Kingdom and still having fun with it. It's not perfect, but it has enough moments with characters that I love that I will revisit it, warts and all.

indyclone25

theres a website out there the calculates the inflated prices

HellofaSandwich said:
Tickets were a lot cheaper in the '80s, dude.
theres a website on the box office totals that calculates the inflation prices of old films if they had come out with the dollar amount and shows what the new box office would be today --- but right now i'm coming up blank on the website

kongisking

|ZiR| said:
Wow. I am irrationally angry over this, and the article itself. Like, you have no idea how enraged I am right now.

Also,

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE, DEAN GOODMAN!!

Exactly. I'm livid. Even Lucifer herself cannot rival my hatred for S&TC fans right now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I need a drink!

Dene

Hollywood Reporter has commented negatively on a big drop for Indy in his second weekend -- er, surely movies with huge openings are fairly likely to experience large drop offs on account of how many of those people who were planning to go see it went to see it in its first few days!

Jones_Happens

Dene said:
Hollywood Reporter has commented negatively on a big drop for Indy in his second weekend -- er, surely movies with huge openings are fairly likely to experience large drop offs on account of how many of those people who were planning to go see it went to see it in its first few days!

Does anyone know where we can find the numbers for Iron Man in its first and second weekend. I know there was a significant drop off there as well. Although I think it was still number one its second week because it only went up against Speed Racer, which kind of flopped.

splish-splash

Dene said:

If I recall correctly Hollywood Reporter also had a negative review for KOTCS. So I'm not surpirsed they're not ' reporting' on it postively ;)

sandiegojones

Avilos said:
There was one source for this report, don't remember where, with everyone just repeating. Many have assumed it was 400 Million domestic. But few movies ever break that. More than likely its really 400 Million total profits. Which KotCS will surely break and far and away pass.
That's $400 million total worldwide box office. With $216 million here already and another $150 million overseas (again that's just from opening weekend since overseas #'s are updated weekly, not daily). This film will likely gross about $750 million worldwide.

sandiegojones

Check this out, the overseas #'s are in:

Indiana Jones Reaches $482.8 Million Worldwide
Source: Variety
June 2, 2008

Following this morning's domestic figures, we now have the international estimates for the weekend and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull added an impressive $71.5 million from 8,439 theaters in 60 international markets this weekend to push its overseas total to $266 million. Combined with its $216.8 million domestic total, the film is up to $482.8 million worldwide.

"Crystal Skull" should easily top the $297 million international total for 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It looks likely to become the 29th film to hit the $400 million mark in foreign sales. It's already the top 2008 grosser oversas and pushed the combined international take of the four "Indiana Jones" pics past $850 million.

Being in second domestically may have been disappointing but $46 million is fantastic for a second week (especially if you believe there was in fact poor word of mouth) and Indy will be in the top 10 for several more weeks. If it is as solid as Iron Man then it can do over $350 million here. It's only $20 million away from Iron man's international total it came out 3 weeks later. Indy is doing well!

Last edited:

Avilos

Indy was number one on Saturday and Sunday. Sex and the City was only at the top of the weekend because of a big Friday. But after that it dropped big. So KotSC will probably be number for the whole week if not the weekend.

indytim

Don't forget that analysis shows nowadays box office tickets only account for about a THIRD of the total revenue a movie grosses. A film will now nearly earn as much in DVD sales as cinema box office (some movies make much more on the home market such as 'Kingdom Of Heaven'). The rest in made up from TV broadcast sales, movie merchandise, etc.

Therefore, I think it might be safe to say that based on its current earnings our new Indy will end up making ... one BILLION dollars (insert Dr Evil laugh here) ;)

Travis85

Sex and the City may be number 1 now, but even it has grossed only slightly ahead of Indy's domestic take this week, and the movie has been out for a while now. Indy 4 has made nearly 500 million world wide, and will still make more before it out of the theaters, making a definitely box office smash. Hopefully this will get us Indy 5 :). The real test will be to see if it out grosses Iron Man, which it probably will, with Iron Man at 505 million right now.

James

Travis85 said:
The real test will be to see if it out grosses Iron Man, which it probably will, with Iron Man at 505 million right now.

Indy will probably end up overtaking Iron Man worldwide, although domestically it may be a different story. Much like the summer of 1989.

The interesting thing is that Iron Man- and not Dark Knight- may end up being the comicbook film to beat this summer. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Even if Dark Knight breaks all records on opening weekend, it's going to be hard-pressed to duplicate Iron Man's staying power.

Iron Man had the benefit of being the first summer blockbuster (and comicbook film), and has maintained a strong hold even in its 5th weekend. But Dark Knight's 5th weekend will be falling in mid-August, when the summer box office has already begun to rapidly drop off.

indytim

James said:
The interesting thing is that Iron Man- and not Dark Knight- may end up being the comicbook film to beat this summer. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

I know I didn't! I thought it would do well but nothing like what it has done. I think it's done a lot of positive 'word of mouth' trade, which is why it's still performing well. Although it's a comic book movie it unusually stars an 'older' cast so the young crowd have no-one to swoon over (resulting in box office) thus a harder sell than 'Spider-Man'. Maybe now we'll see comic book movies turn a corner regards how they're made (y)

SterankoII

Iron Man is all about Robert Downey Jr. He was entertaining as hell. I knew Sex and the City would be the top of the box office this week. It shouldn't be that surprising considering how anticipated it was by a very different and large demographic than the one for the Indy IV.

The Man

It's refreshing - and heartening - to see a star overcome their many addictions. Good luck to Downey Jr. Five years ago he was written off as an eventual O.D.

Turtle

indytim said:
I know I didn't! I thought it would do well but nothing like what it has done. I think it's done a lot of positive 'word of mouth' trade, which is why it's still performing well. Although it's a comic book movie it unusually stars an 'older' cast so the young crowd have no-one to swoon over (resulting in box office) thus a harder sell than 'Spider-Man'. Maybe now we'll see comic book movies turn a corner regards how they're made (y)

I agree, word of mouth was a massive factor in Iron Man's success. Non comic book fans were swarming to it. Speaking to a random dude on the train, who had no interest in comics who had been told by his friend how good it was, and had by the point of speaking to me, seen it five times. And planning to go again. Of course, if it hadn't been such a well made film it would never have happened.