So no Toht/German Mechanic figures in 2009?

UIMJ

Attila the Professor said:
We've heard mixed reports on this (Resident Alien's talked about it), but we don't actually ban IPs or anything - we don't even have the ability. So he can view everything, save for theraider.net tables

Three separate points in this great, albeit mixed discussion!

Twnsman and his sidekick
All I know about the guy is that right when I joined here, I almost left thinking that he and that other kid posting with him were representative of the Indy fanbase. In any event, I kept the generalizations at bay and found that this is actually a decent community minus the onesy, twosy extremist nerds, so I stuck it out here. However, it definitely doesn't help a community when a new person is introduced to it with initial interactions like I had with those two cats.

Better and more vintage things than that guy
In any event, I'm a big proponent of the vintage Indy stuff. I know we all don't have money to drop like 75 bucks for one complete figure, but complete figs are scarce, so they are unique to own, and it's very gratifying putting that small collection together. Look at like this, you build a vintage set slowly and it averages out over time to something like a 5 or 10 dollar a week hobby, and even then it's finite because once you?re done with it, you?re done.

Cool forum gets cooler
Can I suggest to the mods here, that it might be cool to create a "Collections" sub-forum here, and also a Buy/Sell/Trade sub forum as well that might help Indy collector's out? I helped develop similar themes on the Advanced Iron forums and we've been super successful with that (I mod there and also edit the zine). Just a suggestion for the already very nicely setup website which is The Raider.
(y) :gun:

All just points of conversation, of course. :)

nevsky41

MAn, am I like, the only person who doesn't hate KotCS? I got the 2-disc DVD and have watched it another 3-4 times, and really, I just like it better everytime I watch it. There's never going to be any excuse for the "Tarzan Mutt" sequence, but I'm not going to sweat it. I'm looking forward to Indy 5, even if I'm the only one.

Lance Quazar

Crusade>Raiders said:
Beginning of the year, I would have never thought the best thing to come out this Indiana Jones resurrection would be action figures :D

Sad, but true.

Hell, the figures have almost made up for the lameness of KotCS.

Almost...

metalinvader

nevsky41 said:
MAn, am I like, the only person who doesn't hate KotCS? I got the 2-disc DVD and have watched it another 3-4 times, and really, I just like it better everytime I watch it. There's never going to be any excuse for the "Tarzan Mutt" sequence, but I'm not going to sweat it. I'm looking forward to Indy 5, even if I'm the only one.

You're not the only one.

Last edited:

MaxPhactor23

nevsky41 said:

Minority? Yes. Alone? Sadly not. ;)

Billy Ray

nevsky41 said:

I like KOTCS! It's far from my favorite of the films, but still good in it's own right. Much like the Star Wars prequels, everyone expected the second coming...but you just had to know that wasn't going to happen.

MaxPhactor23

Billy Ray said:
I like KOTCS! It's far from my favorite of the films, but still good in it's own right. Much like the Star Wars prequels, everyone expected the second coming...but you just had to know that wasn't going to happen.

I also know they could have given us a hell of a lot better then what they did...:p

Wugmanmax

MaxPhactor23 said:
I also know they could have given us a hell of a lot better then what they did...:p

It's a strange thing. Sure, Speilbergo could have given us a technically "better" movie. But would it have felt the same as the others? I feel KOTCS does. Love or hate certain things about it, it still has the "Indy" feel to me. Most of Speilberg's new stuff is way too serious and dark. I don't want to see "modern Speilberg" make an Indy movie. He has stated he tried really hard to get back into the frame of mind he was in back then, and I think he had pretty good success. He succeeded more times than he failed. I would LOVE to see him give it another shot so close after making this one, I'm sure he thought of improvements in his style he could have made after completing KOTCS that would benefit a 5th movie.

People love to hate the new movie, and I stand by my belief that it's because there is no "time gap" yet. My kids love it just as much as the others, because the others are "new" to them too. They don't have 20 years of baggage between them.

nevsky41

The problem with KotCS is that we, as moviegoers and as fans, have changed. We were all more innocent when the original trilogy was made. The internet wasn't there, movies could still have surprises in them and the "negative news" culture we live in now didn't exist then. Nobody wants to like anything now. It's cool to hate things, and lame to like them. I contend that KotCS does "feel" like an Indy movie, and whether or not you like Mutt or the alien aspect, it still has that fun adventure feeling the classics had. Yeah, Harrison is older, there's 19 years of expectations going into it, there's 3 crappy Star Wars prequels worth of "I hate Everything About George Lucas & his big fat ego" going into it, Spielberg hasn't made a "fun" movie since the mid 90s (War of the Worlds was NOT a "fun" movie), and filmmaking and the movie going public has changed.

KotCS gets better everytime I watch it. So if you don't like it, go ahead and be miserable, but don't belittle those of us who DO like it.

thelaw

So, to bring it back:

I liked KOTCS, but even if Indy 5 sucks, we'll at least get these figures.

I can't believe I didn't notice the beautiful pinstriping on Toht's action figure's coat. What attention to detail! I'm sadder now than before! Based on stuff like this and the ToD wave, this could have been the BEST 3.75 INCH LINE.

EVER.

The Golden Idol

Just some pics for you guys if you want to see the figures again:

IndyinGermanDisguisefigure.jpg
Marionfigure.jpg
Tohtfigure.jpg
GermanMechanicfigure.jpg
Satipofigure.jpg

Goonie

^I feel sorry for the people that sculted those figures. Must feel like a slap in the face from Hasbro when you don't see your work being released. What a waste of talent.