So... what do you think of the full soundtrack?

Matt Holcomb

If I had to describe the score for "KotCS" in one word, then I would say it's serviceable. If I only had a sentence or two to articulate my opinion, then I would say it's a lively, polished score that boasts complex compositions, dense orchestrations and a couple of memorable melodies.

Compared to the previous "Indiana Jones" scores, it's the weakest of the series -- it lacks the brash, thrilling, leitmotif-centric compositions that make the previous scores so pleasing to the ears.

Last edited:
Matt Holcomb said:
If I had to describe the score for "KotCS" in one word, then I would say it's serviceable. If I only had a sentence or two to articulate my opinion, then I would say it's a lively, polished score that boasts complex compositions, dense orchestrations and a couple of memorable melodies.

Compared to the previous "Indiana Jones" scores, it's the weakest of the series -- it lacks the brash, thrilling, leitmotif-centric compositions that make the previous scores so pleasing to the ears.

I agree. It's pretty weak. Mutt's theme sounds like a retread of Hogwart's and Hidden Treasure sounds exactly like a rearrangement of the Intersection scene from War of the Worlds. Overall it's a far cry from the magnificence of the grail or Nazi leitmotif's of Last Crusade or the Slave Children's Crusade from Temple of Doom. Not even close. Fairly blase. Now I just want them to release the expanded scores of those masterpieces even more.

JayDee

Listen to "Hidden Treasure & City of Gold". The music you can here at 3:23 is exactly the cue like you can here in "War of the Worlds" when the alien tripod rises from underground at the beginning of the movie.

Shindy

:hat: Great to be able to hear it at last.

Have heard 90% while working at home this morning and LOVE IT. That's the first reaction pure love for some wonderful new Indy music.

I'll let it wash over me while I'm on a longish car journey this morning.

Great stuff!:cool:

"Hey there Steven... it's me George... Saw the dailies... and they real-ly suck."

I will never again be able to listen to the Raiders march without hearing that. :D

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Matt Holcomb said:
Well, I'm based in Melbourne, Australia, and I purchased a copy of the score this afternoon from my local Virgin Megastore (South Yarra) for $29.99.

I'll write an initial review once I've finished listening to it -- only two tracks to go.

It's in Melbourne already? Sounds like I need to take a trip to Brisbane City's Myer store tomorrow...(y)

HawkEagleWolf

First I hearing people being picky about it sounding like different work of John Williams. But let me tell you something. James Horner Composer of, Glory, Apollo 13, Titanic and others. Have re-used certain bits of his earlier work. Listen to the Glory Score and then listen to the Apollo 13 score. If you're complaining about re-use, try those two! Not that I am, the theme he(James Horner) used is amazing. I've noticed through a lot of movie composers, Zimmer, Shore, Williams, Horner, Jerry and his son Joel Goldsmith and countless others I've heard always seems to put a bit of the other work into the newest score. It seems more of a well kept tradition.

And as for this being the weakest, It's not weak. I have yet to really hear the three other film scores other then just watching the movie, so unless sends me the three previous Soundtracks, it's not really weakest. If anything you're trying to compare to something most of you people have(Me included) heard alone, and watched with the movie a million times.

Silentrascal, Every movie is different, the Raiders soundtrack may not do this movie. Every composer must get a feel for the movie. The music is voice, and basically a good part of the movie. It is one-in-one and a complex relationship. You don't understand that and thus many of you lot seem to think. "We can do better!" We also don't know the full score to the movie, as you probably know the soundtrack is not all the music in the movie.

-HawkEagleWolf

Last edited:

Wittmann

JerryKing said:
Unfortunately, the score just strengthens the conviction to which I reluctantly had to come shortly after the time of "Attack of the Clones": John Williams can no longer write a new memorable theme.

I already got that impression when I listened to new Star Wars Prequels in 1999.

His last new, fresh and great score was Jurassic Park in 1993. Nowadays he is just quoting himself.

mr.wolf

yikes, I did not enjoy that soundtrack one bit, i'm sorry to say, I happen to own the original soundtracks to the originals and this is just totaly different, hell the Raiders March is different too WTF JW, i guess i'll have to wait and see/hear how it fits in but i might not be adding this to my collection.

sandiegojones

Wait to see the film to put the music in context. They often compile themes from parts of the film onto one track so it may sound disjointed.

IrishLuck1980

Well, that's it for me. This Forum has turned into Indy Haters. Nothing is good enough. I love Indiana Jones as much as the next person but I refuse to put Indy IV on the same pedestal that I put the Star Wars Prequels and then be surprised when the movie doesn't fit my expectations. I'm going into the movie just to see Harrison play Indy again. And that's it. Everyone have fun at the theater. But I am done here.

MaxPhactor23

Under whelmed would be the perfect word here. I’ve never felt the Indy film’s were John William’s best to begin with. He’s displayed his best skills elsewhere. With that said, I still feel he’s produced a few memorable themes outside the main raiders march. Here I don’t think he’s quite accomplished that. I can’t see myself humming Call of the Crystal Skull. That’s just it…is there a basic layout for the theme anyway? I listened to it twice and there isn’t really much of a theme there at all. It’s not memorable whatsoever. Not to mention the Mexican music is rather ridiculous…so much so it makes me chuckle. Highly disappointed overall. Great way to kick off the film.

Last edited: