Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett

Bjorn Heimdall

No Spoiler tags in the forums?

One thing (not a spoiler) is that if they would have called it Mandalorian, without the "The", this could have just been the third season. The quality has been up and down in all the seasons, I would have seen no problem with this all being the same show.

Bjorn Heimdall

I was editing but not fast enough so I guess I'll double post.
I thought this show was pretty decent, but that gang of young people on the hoverbikes seemed to have been pulled out of a different universe all together. Their rides looked like they spent all day waxing them. Also that spin move the one with the cyberpunk eye does is on a James Kirk summersault level of pointless.

Face_Melt

No Spoiler tags in the forums?

One thing (not a spoiler) is that if they would have called it Mandalorian, without the "The", this could have just been the third season. The quality has been up and down in all the seasons, I would have seen no problem with this all being the same show.
Boba Fett isn’t a Mandalorian though, so that wouldn’t have worked either.

Finn

Staff member
Isn't Boba a clone of a Mandalorian? So him being or not being one essentially depends on a technicality.

Raffey

Apparently, you don't need to be born in Mandalore to be a Mandalorian. You can be one by birth, as a foundling raised by Mandalorians, or as faithful follower of the religious creed. Boba Fett even says he isn't a Mandalorian but his father was.

Face_Melt

So, you can call a foundling a Mandalorian, but not the clone of a foundling?

I'll just go back to watching a man wearing a cool hat punch Nazis. At least I can wrap my head around that.
Jango never said he was a mandalorian. In fact actual mandalorians claimed he stole the armor and wasn’t a mandalorian himself.

dr.jones1986

Jango never said he was a mandalorian. In fact actual mandalorians claimed he stole the armor and wasn’t a mandalorian himself.
Jango Fett never said he was or wasn't a Mandalorian. In current cannon we know he is one based on Season 2 of the Mandalorian. I have a feeling in future seasons of these shows we will see Boba embrace his Mandalorian heritage. One of the major themes of this season was him rejecting his old selfish bounty hunting persona, exemplified by Cad Bane in favor of the values of being part of a tribe. He learned this lesson from his time with the Tuskens and I could see this being a future story arc for the character. He questioned Din's belief in the creed but saw the loyalty Din showed to him by sticking around to rid Tatooine of the Pykes. I could see Boba embracing his fathers culture and helping Din retake Mandalore. Dialogue in this show and season 2 of the Mandalorian seems to be weaving this thread in to where they may be going with the character in the future. They seem to be using the success of Marvel as a format to weave multiple shows together towards a climactic event, which is the retaking of Mandalore. Grand Admiral Thrawn would make sense to be the big bad, with a team of heroes made up of Din, Grogu, Boba, Bo Katan, Ashoka and other related characters from these shows.

Face_Melt

Jango Fett never said he was or wasn't a Mandalorian. In current cannon we know he is one based on Season 2 of the Mandalorian. I have a feeling in future seasons of these shows we will see Boba embrace his Mandalorian heritage. One of the major themes of this season was him rejecting his old selfish bounty hunting persona, exemplified by Cad Bane in favor of the values of being part of a tribe. He learned this lesson from his time with the Tuskens and I could see this being a future story arc for the character. He questioned Din's belief in the creed but saw the loyalty Din showed to him by sticking around to rid Tatooine of the Pykes. I could see Boba embracing his fathers culture and helping Din retake Mandalore.
I don’t think that’s true. Bo Katan specifically tells Boba “You’re not a mandalorian”. Boba responds “I never said I was”. In the animated series we learned that Jango’s armor was passed down in his family line and was given to them from a mandalorian but they themselves were not considered mandalorian. He also clearly doesn’t believe in their creed.

dr.jones1986

Boba isn't a Mandalorian or claim to be one, but the mention in Season 2 of the Mandalorian says Jango was a Mandolorian foundling and was given this armor. Boba says he was and says he even fought in the Mandalorian Civil Wars. The chain code in the armor says this and it even translates that Jango was trained by Jaste. This is a reference to the old cannon which had Jaster Mereel as Jango's mentor and before the prequels were released it was also a name used in Boba's old origin story. People who can translate Aurebrush have found out what the chain code says and there are photos on the internet of the translation. Pretty cool that there was this attention to detail. Outside of this mention, this is the only mention we have of Jango being a Mandalorian foundling and given the armor. This convinced Din that Boba is worthy of having the armor because of his father being a Mandalorian and Din is clearly a hardliner based on what we have seen. I think this will be explored more in the future.

Nerdpants

Boba being a Mandalorian or not has been a bit confusing.

Sometimes it seems he is and sometimes it seems he is not. Making Jango Fett a foundling really clouded the issue.

If they don't want Boba to have a Mandalorian background, it would have been far less confusing by just saying that Jango killed a Mandalorian and took his armour (or bought his armour like Cobb Vanth did).

They kind of ruined Boba's back story. It's just confusing and weird (am thinking of the clone part of his history too).

British Raider

What a disappointment that was. They didn’t utilise flashbacks properly so it never informed what we were seeing in the “present,” which gave the narrative no sense of pace. The choice of the Mod bikers design was a head scratcher. Then they gave over the show to Mandalorian for 2 episodes. What a bore. They had no idea what to do with Boba. It literally ends him with questioning if they were even suited for it. Just lazy and pointless. I wish I could like the Mandalorian as much as others but even that feels like a first draft most of the time.

also, why when they go to Tatooine is it so beige?! Just a symptom of the direction Disney is taking this in.

Star Wars for Star Wars sake.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Happy Sad Confused podcast (32:40): Mangold says he spent days and nights typing away, listening to Ennio Morricone, writing a borderline rated R, single planet spaghetti western. But then Solo underperformed and streaming picked up.