The CGI thread

WillKill4Food

caats said:
that CGI in warehouse stopped bothering me when i realized it's the equivalent to the matte paintings in Raiders. that's just the tech.
But it's not the fact that it's CGI that bothers me.
It's the fact that it's so freaking obvious that it's CGI.
Most of the matte paintings used in the originals weren't obvious at all.
That cannot be saide for a lot of KotCS's CGI.

Agent Z

WillKill4Food said:

Yes, yes they were.

On that note, why the need for this hyper realism guys?

It's a fantasy film. The effects were spotty back then, and they will never be that realistic.....nor, given the context of the films, especially one rooted in 50's sci-fi pulp, should they be.

I don't know. I guess I'm just simple in this respect. I watch the film for the story and enjoy the effects for what they are. Unless it's something so obvious, like fishline holding up the flying saucer for instance, I can roll with it. *shrugs*

Dewy9

The stop motion from the first films were very obvious. The green screen plane fight was very obvious... as was the plane that goes sliding through the tunnel. Sure it's a little cheesy, but it's just how movies were made back then. CGI is just how movies are made today. If the internet had been around back then, fanboys would have been blasting the rapid aging of Walter Donovan or the melting heads.

Bad CGI is being able to notice that it's CGI, so why isn't stop motion held to the same standards? It seems like a double standard to me, but I could of course be wrong.

Darth Vile

WillKill4Food said:
But it's not the fact that it's CGI that bothers me.
It's the fact that it's so freaking obvious that it's CGI.
That cannot be saide for a lot of KotCS's CGI.

I disagree. I don't think the CGI in the warehouse scene is obvious at all. If you were talking about the atomic mushroom cloud, the crystal skull alien or the flying saucer, I'd agree... but the CGI in the warehouse scene all seems pretty subtle and is tastefully done.

Darth Vile

Dewy9 said:
The stop motion from the first films were very obvious. The green screen plane fight was very obvious... as was the plane that goes sliding through the tunnel. Sure it's a little cheesy, but it's just how movies were made back then. CGI is just how movies are made today. If the internet had been around back then, fanboys would have been blasting the rapid aging of Walter Donovan or the melting heads.

Bad CGI is being able to notice that it's CGI, so why isn't stop motion held to the same standards? It seems like a double standard to me, but I could of course be wrong.

Agree 100%. Some seem to have issue with new techniques, whilst conveniently forgetting the issues with older visual effects. Like the stop motion/back projection elements of the TOD mine cart chase weren't obvious....

emtiem

Darth Vile said:
I disagree. I don't think the CGI in the warehouse scene is obvious at all. If you were talking about the atomic mushroom cloud, the crystal skull alien or the flying saucer, I'd agree... but the CGI in the warehouse scene all seems pretty subtle and is tastefully done.

Even then, I can't spot any particular flaws in how those things were executed- just they had to be CGI because it's pretty hard to film nuclear explosions, aliens or alien spaceships for real! :)

Laserschwert

Zoetrope said:
Well, elaborate crane shots are certainly part of the visual language of the Indy series. The elegant establishing crane shot was a standard in many films during the so-called Golden Age of Hollywood. Besides, the reveal is much more glamorous, dynamic and dramatic that way, I think.

I agree that normal crane-shots (and especially how Spielberg used to use them in most of his films) are great AND glamorous... but it really looks like that warehouse pull-back was done under extreme pressure, which is why it really goes overboard with all the flares and glows, to hide the fact that the match-moving of the real scene wasn't performed properly.

As a contrast all of the other set-extensions used in the warehouse are stunningly perfect (even the ones, where Indy and Spalko are just talking). And Indy's whip-swing off the creates is my favorite shot of the entire movie (see, I like crane shots ;) ).

Darth Vile

emtiem said:
Even then, I can't spot any particular flaws in how those things were executed- just they had to be CGI because it's pretty hard to film nuclear explosions, aliens or alien spaceships for real! :)

Oh I agree. The CGI seems exceptional in those scenes I mentioned... but I can understand that some feel the CGI is somewhat overused (although I don't have an issue with it myself).

In context of my initial post, I think the warehouse scene (for a big set piece) has the most subtle use of CGI in the entire movie. I love it.

Benraianajones

I think when Indy 4 uses CGI, it does it well. Those cogs at the end when the temple is collapsing look really good.

The only part where the CGI seems bad is when tarzan swing - it looks good (the CGI) but married with Mutt's physical swinging, it looks really obscure.

I don't think the warehouse scenes CGI is really that apparent either.

o me, CGI isn't actually the damning point of this movie, if anything. It is just some missed chances of character development, and too much time spent on scenes, not really needed.