The Dark Knight

The Man

No Ticket said:
And yeah, Clone Wars and Tropic Thunder are gonna take over TDK.

I'd say that's a fair bet. TDK has confounded many until now, but a fifth week with double the competition? Nah...

Peacock's-Eye

No Ticket said:
Peacock's-Eye said:
I can see what you're saying. They based a lot of this on The Killing Joke though. As did Batman 1989. So I mean, they know of those stories... they don't want to repeat them.

But I mean, I don't think in Nolan's world Joker would bust out a giant electric chair that electrocutes Batman when a gassed audience (who'll laugh at anything) laughs. Even thought that's a pretty Joker thing to do.

And yeah, Clone Wars and Tropic Thunder are gonna take over TDK.
Apart from the essence of the Joker's motivation, I don't see anything from TKJ in TDK. I love what Heath did, and Nolan, but the Joker isn't an urban terrorist with facial scars & a 'message'. I don't know who that is. The Joker is truly a comedian & clown, albiet a twisted, homicidal one! Without the Joker poison, gadgets, and big set pieces, sorry, that's not the established literary character. Apart from the great scene where he seduces Harvey Dent over to his side, this Joker just repeats himself, a real weakness in the script throughout, IMO.

I love GL and am looking forward to CW, but it really looks like a footnote to the summer movie releases, although it might surprise everyone.

The Man

One question: if The Dark Knight continues it's cinematic run longer than projected, how will this affect the DVD and/or Blu-Ray release date?

TheMutt92

The Man said:
One question: if The Dark Knight continues it's cinematic run longer than projected, how will this affect the DVD and/or Blu-Ray release date?

Not sure. I remember when Night at the Museum was still doing real well after a long time theatres got mad cause the film got released on DVD before any of them wanted to pull the film.

agentsands77

Peacock's-Eye said:
agentsands77 said:
I personally can't think of a better Joker story.
Batman #1 (first & last stories)
"The Joker's Five Way Revenge"
#426-429 "A Death In The Family"
Batman Adventures "Mad Love'
"No Man's Land" (1999 arc)
The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
The Man Who Laughs

Return of the Joker (Uncut)
Mask of the Phantasm
Joker's Christmas (TAS)

- even Batman 1989 is closer to the literary character of the Joker.

That's just off the top of my head.
This is a matter of taste of course & I'm not downing TDK - I really enjoyed it.
I've read and seen all of those, but I don't think any of those are superior Joker stories to THE DARK KNIGHT. But I'm also in the camp that sees Ledger's Joker as perhaps the most satisfying version of the character to date.

Peacock's-Eye

agentsands77 said:
I've read and seen all of those, but I don't think any of those are superior Joker stories to THE DARK KNIGHT. But I'm also in the camp that sees Ledger's Joker as perhaps the most satisfying version of the character to date.
Purely a matter of taste, but I certainly don't agree.
It worked brilliantly for one film, but far from the best Joker to me.

Peacock's-Eye

RocketSledFight said:
What's your favorite interpretation of the character?
I don't have a single uber-Joker, just a combination of all the central elements that make up the character. If I had to choose of favorite story, off the top of my head I think "Return of the Joker" tops 'em all - just the flashback - that's about as edgy & warped as you can get! But I also love all the goofy four-color 50's comics as well - lots of great Joker stories that are just outlandish & fun. My second fave might be DKR - drawing the Joker like Peter O'Toole in drag, calling Batman "my darling" and all that - very effective. Detective Comics #526 is a favorite too.

DIrishB

No Ticket said:
But anyway. I still don't think it will out gross Titanic. $600 million would be impressive though... however, Titanic with inflation factored in would be around $900 million today.

Yes. That's insane. I don't remember how long that thing was in theaters... but dang.

Titanic was in theaters for something like 9 months (from December 1997 to September 1998). So in terms of amount of money made to time released, The Dark Knight is spanking ass there too. Granted, it has a way to go to take the all time worldwide grossing spot from Titanic, and I doubt it'll stay in theaters long enough to do so. Though if left in theaters for another 3-4 months, I'm sure it could accomplish it even with large drop offs in attendance domestically.

And as was said, a lot of the international markets haven't had TDK released to them yet (the Phillipines, for instance, doesn't usually see US movies until 4-8 months after they're released here).

Last edited:

No Ticket

DIrishB said:
And as was said, a lot of the international markets haven't had TDK released to them yet (the Phillipines, for instance, doesn't usually see US movies until 4-8 months after they're released here).

Yeah but the 600 million is DOMESTIC gross so that doesn't matter really. I seriously doubt it could take the worldwide #1 spot.

The Man

Nooooooo!!!

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?tt0468569

dff.jpg

Niteshade007

Peacock's-Eye said:
Why do you keep referencing SW movies?
TDK has nothing to do with SW.
That list would change every month if they updated it, whatever.

Because Star Wars was the first time anyone ever said an elongated "No"...

WillKill4Food

Agent Spalko said:
I would love it if TDK dethroned Titanic. No movie has been more undeserving of being #1.
I liked Titanic, but you're right, a lot of people think it's better than it is. Of course, that happens a lot. :rolleyes: