The Definitive Indy 4 Speculation Index

Joe Brody

temple of john said:
How sweet would it be if we actually get an Indy's 5 & 6? I doubt it will happen though.

I'm really down over this further delay. I'm not holding my breath for anyting at this point. I almost stopped and watch Seven Days and Seven Nights the other night. Talk about giving up hope.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
I'm really down over this further delay. I'm not holding my breath for anyting at this point. I almost stopped and watch Seven Days and Seven Nights the other night. Talk about giving up hope.

Easy, easy, easy dude, you don't want to go all Indian Runner on me . . .

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Easy, easy, easy dude, you don't want to go all Indian Runner on me . . .

"You know that strip of molding that you have between the kitchen linoleum and the carpet in your living room?"

temple of john said:
Sounds like he might be going Brokeback Mountain on us.

Far from it.

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
Good thread, but is it really focused on Indy 4 enough to be "Indy 4 speculation"? Bit of stretch don't you think? :)

Not at all. I think the films out of the era are just as relevant to Indy IV speculation as any thread discussing locations. Believe it or not, one -- if not 'the' -- major attractions to Indy IV for me is going to be watching the film and seeing what inspirations were drawn from the 1950's films.

Joe Brody in the '50's Frame of Mind Thread said:
What movies shot in the 1950's and SET in the 1950's best capture the look and feel of the era? (three quesses as to why the 1950's are on my mind). Here's the first films that came to mind -- what are some of the others (preferably American) that I'm missing?

Bad Day at Black Rock -- '55
Giant (portions) -- '56
Kiss Me Deadly -- '55
Man Who Knew Too Much -- '56
On the Waterfront -- '54
Rear Window -- '54
Rebel Without a Cause -- '55
Sayonara -- '57
To Catch a Thief -- '55

I really couldn't come up with any films from the early '50's and I know I got three Hitchcock films but I do feel like they really capture the look and style of the times.

Sad coincidence, Mickey Spillane just died so I recommend everyone go out and get a copy of Kiss Me Deadly and check it out.

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
Not at all. I think the films out of the era are just as relevant to Indy IV speculation as any thread discussing locations. Believe it or not, one -- if not 'the' -- major attractions to Indy IV for me is going to be watching the film and seeing what inspirations were drawn from the 1950's films.

After I thought about it, I think you're right Joe. This intent behind this thread is along the same lines as "Indy Noir": not so much focused on the story eing told, but the WAY that story is told.

Basically, if the original trilogy was based on the adventure serials... what should the fourth film be based on? (50's noir, duh. ;) )

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
After I thought about it, I think you're right Joe. This intent behind this thread is along the same lines as "Indy Noir": not so much focused on the story eing told, but the WAY that story is told.

Basically, if the original trilogy was based on the adventure serials... what should the fourth film be based on? (50's noir, duh. ;) )

You said it better than me. Heck -- I was keyed-in on visuals. Getting actual '50's noir would almost be asking too much.

Pale Horse

Staff member
What about Point of View?

One of the things that today's screenplays lack in distict PoV. There are multiple shots involving multiple characters as they proceede through their motivations. This is a far cry from a movie like Chinatown. In this Hollywood classic, every scene has Gittes in it. The action always happens with him, and we see it unfold just as he does. It bonds the audience to character, and we will be surprised just as the character is.

I think this is a key element of Noir, it keeps the mysticism up. Perhaps we will see a return to this style of storytelling.

But I doubt it, unless they have revised the screenplay I know of.

roundshort

Pale Horse said:

One of the things that today's screenplays lack in distict PoV. There are multiple shots involving multiple characters as they proceede through their motivations. This is a far cry from a movie like Chinatown. In this Hollywood classic, every scene has Gittes in it. The action always happens with him, and we see it unfold just as he does. It bonds the audience to character, and we will be surprised just as the character is.

I think this is a key element of Noir, it keeps the mysticism up. Perhaps we will see a return to this style of storytelling.

But I doubt it, unless they have revised the screenplay I know of.

It is important in noir, but helps add the frustration, like when we never find out who kills the chauffuer in the Big Sleep. It is funt o watch how the dick puts the story together, but Indy isn't a Hard Boiled Dective . . .or is he?

hhhhhmmmmmmm. . .

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:

I doubt that will happen. One of the reasons why Raiders is superior to the other films is the Tanis-dig night sequence that alternates back and forth between Indy, Sallah and the diggers and Marion 'dining' with Belloq. It would be great to once again have a leading lady worthy of carrying her own scene.

Plus, don't forget the Belloq/Dietrich scenes and even the Agents in the Cairo market all added to the ambience.

I vote for (quaility) different points-of-view.

Finn

Staff member
Hmm, looking at this forum, it's possibly time to update this index. *Hint, hint*

Now where's that damn archive keeper...